Quick question for the community (about push to talk keybind)

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
Hey guys, just a quick question... I think I know the answer, but want to be sure.

Is there anybody out there that would NOT be in favor of removing the distinction between commander push to talk and regular push to talk? In other words, right now, there are two keybinds for push to talk, one for regular "in the field" players, and one for commanders. Would anybody be opposed to us removing the commander-specific keybind and just using the same PTT key for commanders?

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I actually use the separate keybinds because I swap between keyboard and gamepad between comm/field. But I wouldn't mind your proposed change because I can re-program or adapt my binds as necessary.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Can't you just make a checkbox behind the field push to talk key that says something like: Check this to make this commander key aswell. And when you don't check it, you have the two seperate bindings.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I already have them both assigned as the same button anyway. So it wouldn't affect me either way.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    Using separate keybinds as comm and on the field. Keys close to esdf are scarce! I use z on the field and alt in the chair.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I actually use the separate keybinds because I swap between keyboard and gamepad between comm/field. But I wouldn't mind your proposed change because I can re-program or adapt my binds as necessary.

I... I honestly can't tell if this is subtle trolling or if you're genuinely mad.

On topic: I have push to talk bound to p and p bound to one of my mouse thumb buttons, so I don't care.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    I think it's annoying when I forget to bind the commander push to talk to the key I want. So I wouldn't mind the change.
  • ResistorResistor Russia Join Date: 2014-08-01 Member: 197747Members
    edited September 2017
    I find that having an alternative is better than not.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    So it sounds like what I need to do is keep the two binds, but regular binding...
    Sounds like best solution.

Offtopic: could we please have an alternative keybind for every action? I prefer metabolize on a thumb button, but using the same key for marine sprint is a bit unconvinient (the action is called "special movent", I suppose).

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vetinari wrote: »

I... I honestly can't tell if this is subtle trolling or if you're genuinely mad.

On topic: I have push to talk bound to p and p bound to one of my mouse thumb buttons, so I don't care.

Gamepad, as in those nostromo things, lmao. If I could play NS2 proficiently with a controller that'd be amazing
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Vetinari wrote: »

Gamepad, as in those nostromo things, lmao. If I could play NS2 proficiently with a controller that'd be amazing

Ahhh... a gaming keypad.... yeah, I have a T9 Delux... but, I always use my mouse thumb button for push to talk.
    Mouse buttons for me are Map and Sprint, heehee
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2017
    @BeigeAlert When I originally implemented Commander Bindings, I had the same question, "Does it really need to be separate?" But then upon asking for feedback I got an overwhelming amount of "YES PLS!". So that's why it's currently separate. Also, the way the binds work now is defaulting to the non-commander binds I think, or maybe it was changed or it has a bug still...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    @BeigeAlert When I originally implemented Commander Bindings, I had the same question, "Does it really need to be separate?" But then upon asking for feedback I got an overwhelming amount of "YES PLS!". So that's why it's currently separate. Also, the way the binds work now is defaulting to the non-commander binds I think, or maybe it was changed or it has a bug still...

Ah that explains it. Well, currently the behavior doesn't default to anything because the commander bind is always defaulted to left alt, so people will sometimes just not know they've not been talking to their team for an entire round.
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    I am actually strongly for a seperate key for fighter and commander push to talk. alt for commander and v for fighter is what I use. As well as mouse5 incase I'm being lazy. Having MORE options should be the goal while reducing the amount of customization we are allowed shouldn't even be considered as long as it doesn't hinder the game.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Well, currently the behavior doesn't default to anything because the commander bind is always defaulted to left alt, so people will sometimes just not know they've not been talking to their team for an entire round.

This issue could be easily resolved by using different defaultkeys