Ghost landmasses in the Void

AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
Obraxis wrote: »
It's actually a giant Reefback:

Unity_2017-01-14_13-36-19.jpg

So when this was revealed - I noticed there were two structures in the South East corner of the map. I've since tried to reach them. Building a scanner room showed both!

However, my attempts to find them have failed. I'm beginning to think that they appear on the terrain maps but don't actually exist.

My approach was to build a base in creative which attempts to reach them by using a lot of connective segments and several scanner rooms btw. So I believe my search was fairly rigorous - but feel free to try and succeed where I failed.

Overall it got me thinking that it would be a really cool easter-egg to have a small landmass in the void. Perhaps once the game is released modders will be able to add one (with the new information we were given about the terrain format). It'll go faster if we have tools of some sort though!

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I know that there was some other landmass over a year ago in that area, but as far as I know, they scrapped that right out of the gate in experimental.

It was speculated to be the future location of the Lily Pad Islands. I remember there was old video I saw that tried find the extent of the giant terrain cube. It went around (to the best of my memory) 350 meters x 300 meters x 350 meters.

But my guess is that terrain map that Obraxis used is an old one that had this cube, but it no longer exists.

But here's to hoping.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    You realize that this image is clearly not meant to "reveal" anything. It's obviously a hasty photo edit made as a joke.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    So flat earth planet confirmed?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2017
    So the multitude of brain-corals are just instances of Mega-giant Reefback Farts?!?

No wonder the Crashfish have recently multiplied tenfold!!
    :o
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    You realize that this image is clearly not meant to "reveal" anything. It's obviously a hasty photo edit made as a joke.
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    I think having anything to do in the Void is a bad idea. The devs don't want to people going in there at all, which is why they put super-aggressive Ghost Leviathans in there. Something like a floating island out there to find seems to go against what the devs want for the void.

Yes, yes. I'm well aware of these things.

However, the scanner room does show voids underground and ground in the void... if these were even accidental artefacts I'd still want to explore them.

You know ...exploring?
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    edited September 2017
    Avimimus wrote: »
    artefacts

*Artifacts*
    Use Google suggestions bro
  • ImperialBossImperialBoss Join Date: 2017-05-18 Member: 230607Members
    If anyone is curious about what these land masses looked like, here's the Imgur album with close up pictures I took of them: https://imgur.com/gallery/x1vLF

Since I'm on Xbox, these crazy things are still here. I'm kinda sad that they're now gone in the newer updates... I was looking forward to building a base on one... oh well...
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Thank you for satisfying my curiosity!
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    artefacts

*Artifacts*
    Use Google suggestions bro

American spelling mate.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2017
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I think having anything to do in the Void is a bad idea. The devs don't want to people going in there at all, which is why they put super-aggressive Ghost Leviathans in there. Something like a floating island out there to find seems to go against what the devs want for the void.

Yes, yes. I'm well aware of these things.

However, the scanner room does show voids underground and ground in the void... if these were even accidental artefacts I'd still want to explore them.

You know ...exploring?

I still say there should be a reason to venture into the Void, even if for a brief venture. I proposed before about having the Sunbeam and Degasi blackboxes show up somwhere on the surface of the water in the Void, after the player shuts down the Planetary Defense Array. They could recover the crews' logs, perhaps some unique blueprintz, or other items of value. But now that Ghost Leviathans patrol the deep... would the risk be worth the reward? Maybe they could even tie an Achievement to leaving the planet with the three ships' blackboxes retrieved, so that their losses were not in vain. :cry:

But regardless, for over a year the Void was a dull and uninteresting place, where nothing of value or interest is found. Now that they added Ghost Leviathans to the Void, there's finally a great reason for players to stay out of there... but why? Why do these phantasms try so hard to keep you bound to the play area? What secrets await players who try their hardest to not die to these terrifying beasts??

Nothing. :pensive:

There's still nothing to be found there. No optional story sidequests, no cryptic secrets to be found, no terrifying mysteries to solve, no developer easter eggs... nuthin'. I mean why go to all of the trouble to keep players out of the Void... when there's no reason to do so in the first place? It's like having a vicious pitbull and armed guards defending a fortress, and only after many hours of parkour, faceplants and bleeding do you manage to sneak in... and you learn that there was absolutely nothing inside. :frowning:
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    I think guarding the void is less about keeping players away, and more about teaching players what the boundaries of the world are.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    For me personally. I'd rather have a forcefield like Ark does to its islands. Than the subnautica void.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    For me personally. I'd rather have a forcefield like Ark does to its islands. Than the subnautica void.

I just wish the drop-off was a bit less than perfectly 90 degrees... something like 70 degrees would make it feel more like an island shelf (or something else plausible).

Would be nice. Like how the Grassy Plateus give way into the Dunes.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I'd at least like to see some kind of floor to the void, so that you ca't just fall forever in the PRAWN.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    I'd at least like to see some kind of floor to the void, so that you ca't just fall forever in the PRAWN.

One idea I had was pretty much that: an "Abyssal Plain" biome that slopes down into this bleak and dark place much like the Dunes, except it goes up to and in some points beyond 1,200 ~ 1,800 meters. After a while it'd start going down in a smooth decline far past any depth you could reach - but there'd be no sudden dropoffs.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Something like a slope downwards would be nice if there was some kind of message that pops up on the screen when you're in there, so that players might not try and go further past it.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Ideas for void:
    • Make it have randomly generated terrain to not have to model it all, but also make it cool and unique.
    • Add small wrecks to explore with some good stuff.
    • Add some kind of way the player will always be killed if they go out too far, such as a leviathan that will always murder them.
    • Make it so under the map is a floating island.
    • Add a kind of flat down area around the depth of the LZ.
    • Add another creature.