Splash Down (A Subnautica Story)

Comments

• kubazet99kubazet99 Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221450Members
  • PaterAestusPaterAestus Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 225985Members
    kubazet99 wrote: »
    Hey wake up!

Ehh, it's more like this.

• ThunderShock27ThunderShock27 America Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227880Members
    *Hears a distant 'wake up' by kubazet99 and rolls over*

*Hears Navi..................Goes insane, runs away from home, and is never heard from again*

*Wakes up from the dream, realizes people are worried that I'm gone...*

"Have no fear my friends!"
    Wait a second,i find a wrong word ,,populace,, .Že by čech?
  • ThunderShock27ThunderShock27 America Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227880Members
    edited July 2017
    @Kubazet99 Populace means the people living in a particular country or area. It's a word similar to Population, Inhabitants, or Residence. In the case I used it in, Populace means all the people of the human race. The word, according to Google translate, should be the equivalent to 'Lid' in Czech. I hope this was helpful! :smile:
    edited July 2017
    I know whot it mean,i just get idea by this word,you are from CZ(like me) and you badly translate it,dont mean it bad.
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    Did you like my nudge
  • FlashWoolFumbleFlashWoolFumble Join Date: 2017-03-18 Member: 229033Members
    Implement the youre the best captain ever, im not even squidding you. I would die laughing lol
    Implement the youre the best captain ever, im not even squidding you. I would die laughing lol

English?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

English?

Every once in a while, the Cyclops says "You're the best captain ever, I'm not even squidding!" instead of "Welcome aboard, captain!". Don't know what triggers the easter egg but it's hilarious.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

English?

Every once in a while, the Cyclops says "You're the best captain ever, I'm not even squidding!" instead of "Welcome aboard, captain!". Don't know what triggers the easter egg but it's hilarious.

Don't you see how much"""help the readers
  • biobuilderbiobuilder Join Date: 2017-08-06 Member: 232250Members
    Thumbs up for the story
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Yes! World peace! Finally! Now we can make awesome stuff.
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    We're humans if we haven't become peaceful in the 2 million years we've existed so far I doubt it's gonna happen within another 2 million
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    oh yes, forgot about the reaper. BUMP!
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for another great one! though seriously, Why wasn't palmer watching the radar. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I want a second screen showing the radar, and I'm just play the game.
    Recursion wrote: »
    Thanks for another great one! though seriously, Why wasn't palmer watching the radar. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I want a second screen showing the radar, and I'm just play the game.

The radar has a very limited range. The reaper saw them before it was in range and by the time it had shown up on the radar, the reaper had already built up tremendous speed. That's why Jeff's job was so important. The cams gave him a much greater range than the radar. Remember, this is a Stock cyclops. To fix issues like this will require further upgrades.
    Recursion wrote: »

The radar has a very limited range. The reaper saw them before it was in range and by the time it had shown up on the radar, the reaper had already built up tremendous speed. That's why Jeff's job was so important. The cams gave him a much greater range than the radar. Remember, this is a Stock cyclops. To fix issues like this will require further upgrades.

Ah. Don't forget, the cyclops is getting 2 extra upgrade slots. Or the devs are making us long for them by putting in a 6 slot console with only 4 slots.
  • FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    You alright there, bucko? Wee bit o writers block hit ya? Meh, I know the feeling. But just know, this is a fantastic story, mate. Also, bump.
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    edited August 2017
    Bit of a lore error in chapter 33. You claimed the Aurora had 7,000 people aboard... and that's nowhere near close - there weren't even half that many people aboard. The in-game data-bank entry lists the Aurora's crew count as the following:

Command Team (23), Engineering Team (85), Support Crew (40), Passengers (9)

So: 23 + 85 + 40 + 9 = 157. That's how many people were on the Aurora, including the player-character - most of the ship's size was because it was carrying equipment to build a Phasegate (huge gateway for ships to travel through like a teleport arch) and because they had exploratory gear to try and find the Degasi with.

Not trying to discourage you - I like the story a lot - but this is a pretty big hiccup in the lore accuracy part of things!
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Bit of a lore error in chapter 33. You claimed the Aurora had 7,000 people aboard... and that's nowhere near close - there weren't even half that many people aboard. The in-game data-bank entry lists the Aurora's crew count as the following:

Command Team (23), Engineering Team (85), Support Crew (40), Passengers (9)

So: 23 + 85 + 40 + 9 = 157. That's how many people were on the Aurora, including the player-character - most of the ship's size was because it was carrying equipment to build a Phasegate (huge gateway for ships to travel through like a teleport arch) and because they had exploratory gear to try and find the Degasi with.

Not trying to discourage you - I like the story a lot - but this is a pretty big hiccup in the lore accuracy part of things!

This is also in a universe where there are two survivors from the Aurora. This would seem to me to be an even bigger mistake, but it works tremendously.

In this universe, the Aurora could very likely have had 7000 people aboard.

And besides, a fan story doesn't necessarily have to follow rigidly with the lore. Creativity is definitely more important in this case.
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    Skope wrote: »
    This is also in a universe where there are two survivors from the Aurora. This would seem to me to be an even bigger mistake, but it works tremendously.

In this universe, the Aurora could very likely have had 7000 people aboard.

And besides, a fan story doesn't necessarily have to follow rigidly with the lore. Creativity is definitely more important in this case.

Not true; there were other survivors from the Aurora that were around for the first few days - at least eight others, if the Warper's comments about "Nine new biological subjects detected" are any indication. In that, a second survivor isn't all that unlikely.

Also, the author has repeatedly stated that they're trying to stick as close to the canon as possible unless the changes made are to make the story flow better, and has even made edits to reflect such. If not for that, I'd have agreed with you... but by all indication, this isn't meant to be a different universe. So the Aurora wouldn't have had 7,000 people - it'd have had 157, Jeff and Palmer included.

There's gotta be a balance point between creativity and lore, though - otherwise, why even bother making it stick so close to the story everywhere else and just make it a complete AU? Especially if it's for a spicific fanbase (people who know and play the game, that is).