Snack Machine feature (or an alternative Food Machine)

nocseiznocseiz Turkey Join Date: 2017-06-06 Member: 230973Members
This is how it is works on my mind and btw i'm not kidding: https://youtu.be/tcCYiKkVbIA
Once we open the snack machine unlimited number of snacks will become limited. We can clean the snacks (or keep a couple of rows) and replace them with the foods we crafted or found (like food bars).

Why? This gives player more customization option and make the game his/her own. If there is a game option about this, the food we take will be eaten automatically so this will speed up things a little. Also this maybe give the idea of eating healthy food instead of snacks or sugary sodas to teenagers and children (i guess this game will have a very low ESRB rating, not so sure about VR version : ))

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    So you take the bad food that you have infinity of. And replace it with health food. Basically it is just storage at that point
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    So... the ability to destroy the food machine, collect a few food bar things instantaneously, and then use it for storage? Why? Seems a bit like a golden goose situation here.
    nocseiz wrote: »
    Also this maybe give the idea of eating healthy food instead of snacks or sugary sodas to teenagers and children (i guess this game will have a very low ESRB rating, not so sure about VR version : ))

tf are you on about

• gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    One alternative food machine I could see a use for is a refrigerator that requires a relatively small amount of power but keeps perishable items from spoiling.

Also, live fish should have a short perish timer (1 or 2 minutes at most) when taken out of the water so the player either needs to cook them right away or put them in an aquarium instead of the current (IMHO broken) mechanic of just keeping a bunch of live fish in a locker and cooking them as needed. It makes no sense that live fish never die even when stored in a locker for months, but cooked fish spoil in just a few minutes.
  • nocseiznocseiz Turkey Join Date: 2017-06-06 Member: 230973Members
    edited August 2017
    Updated version of my first post according to your ideas and my answers to your questions:

@jamintheinfinite_1 , @SnailsAttack, @gamer1000k

This is how it is works on my mind and btw i'm not kidding:

Once we open the snack machine, we can clean all the snacks (or keep a couple of rows) and replace them with the foods we cooked or found (like food bars). The rows of snacks we didn't touch will keep the unlimited number of snacks. In that way we won't destroy the 'golden goose'.

1. Cooked foods in snack machine will stay fresh much longer than storages or lockers.
    2. Player can eat the food he/she likes by clicking on the row in the machine. So 2 click eating procedure will be reduced to 1. For the players who just want to take the foods from machine to their inventory, there should be an option to disable or enable this feature in game options.

Why?
    This gives player more customization option and make the game his/her own.
    Also replacing snacks with homemade foods can help to raise awareness on obesity issue. I guess this game will have a very low ESRB rating (not so sure about VR version : )), so children or teenagers can have awareness on obesity when eating snacks. Maybe a feature can be added that after eating too much snack (50 in a day) A.I. will notify the player that high fat or sugar intake can result in diabetes, etc.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Since when does putting cook meat inside a warm place keeps it fresh.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited August 2017
    Also replacing snacks with homemade foods can help to raise awareness on obesity issue. I guess this game will have a very low ESRB rating (not so sure about VR version : )), so children or teenagers can have awareness on obesity when eating snacks. Maybe a feature can be added that after eating too much snack (50 in a day) A.I. will notify the player that high fat or sugar intake can result in diabetes, etc.

Along with the PDA message, maybe Subnautica could do what Fable did and your character gets fatter over time if you eat too many snacks and you have to eat veggies to lose the weight (only partially joking).
    edited August 2017
    This is making it seem like eating snacks would make you fat quickly. It takes time. Also schools and cartoons shove eating healthy foods down our throats enough. The last thing we need is a video gaming doing it
    Since when does putting cook meat inside a warm place keeps it fresh.

This slide explains how a vending machine works. Thanks to cooling system colas doesn't get warm and chocolates doesn't melt. Also there are different kinds of vending machines that keep the fast foods warm. When we think about it's future, cooked foods can stay fresh for weeks, if not for months. Because air sealing and creating a vacuum environment to keep oxidation min. in vending machine shouldn't be a problem in future.
    This is making it seem like eating snacks would make you fat quickly. It takes time. Also schools and cartoons shove eating healthy foods down our throats enough. The last thing we need is a video gaming doing it

I know education system in developed countries got obesity covered but developing and least developed countries still have a long way to go. But there should be an option to disable obesity notifications for those who are lucky to be aware, in the game options.
    gamer1000k wrote: »

Along with the PDA message, maybe Subnautica could do what Fable did and your character gets fatter over time if you eat too many snacks and you have to eat veggies to lose the weight (only partially joking).

I thought about getting fat and player's running speed to be reduced but this should be player's choice and player should disable or enable this feature in the options.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members

I know education system in developed countries got obesity covered but developing and least developed countries still have a long way to go. But there should be an option to disable obesity notifications for those who are lucky to be aware, in the game options.

Why the heck would they even put that in as an option? It's a game, not propoganda. Michele Obama is gone now.
    again though what tf does obesity awareness have to do with anything, and again i don't think that destroying the vending machine for a few snacks is better than saving it and getting INFINITE snacks forever, albeit at a slower pace.

i think having a shelf that looks similar to the vending machine could be interesting though
    edited August 2017

Why the heck would they even put that in as an option? It's a game, not propoganda. Michele Obama is gone now.

This game is english. English is the most common language in the world. So this game can be played by most of the people in the world. Also world doesn't revolve around U.S.A. or their politicians even if it seems like that on TV. I'm talking about human health, nothing more nothing less. If you don't want it, just turn this feature of in the game options, if they add this feature.
    again though what tf does obesity awareness have to do with anything, and again i don't think that destroying the vending machine for a few snacks is better than saving it and getting INFINITE snacks forever, albeit at a slower pace.

i think having a shelf that looks similar to the vending machine could be interesting though

Lots of games have lots of easter eggs in them. What i suggested is nothing more than after clicking non-stop a unit from Starcraft start saying non-standart funny dialogues. Gamer1000k suggested that it can be more than that but it doesn't have to be. Write down what you think in here, let players vote it down or up. Ultimately game developers going to look here and decide whether they're going to add these feature and how they're going to add it.

You didn't read my second post carefully enough. Infinite number of snacks can be still existed after customization. Also i didn't said in the post but i wrote in the discussion title that "or food machine". These features that i'm talking about doesn't have to be on snack machine but on another type of vending machine.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited August 2017

This game is english. English is the most common language in the world. So this game can be played by most of the people in the world. Also world doesn't revolve around U.S.A. or their politicians even if it seems like that on TV. I'm talking about human health, nothing more nothing less. If you don't want it, just turn this feature of in the game options, if they add this feature.

Lots of games have lots of easter eggs in them. What i suggested is nothing more than after clicking non-stop a unit from Starcraft start saying non-standart funny dialogues. Gamer1000k suggested that it can be more than that but it doesn't have to be. Write down what you think in here, let players vote it down or up. Ultimately game developers going to look here and decide whether they're going to add these feature and how they're going to add it.

You didn't read my second post carefully enough. Infinite number of snacks can be still existed after customization. Also i didn't said in the post but i wrote in the discussion title that "or food machine". These features that i'm talking about doesn't have to be on snack machine but on another type of vending machine.

The Obama thing was a joke. Jez...

I think another neat idea would be a machine that converts the fruits to a nutrient block (maybe 3 marble melons or 5 Chinese potatoes makes 1 block?). This would give you a way to "preserve" the plants similar to the cured fish. (Not my idea)
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members

TIL eating healthily is "propaganda".
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    edited August 2017

The Obama thing was a joke. Jez...

I think another neat idea would be a machine that converts the fruits to a nutrient block (maybe 3 marble melons or 5 Chinese potatoes makes 1 block?). This would give you a way to "preserve" the plants similar to the cured fish. (Not my idea)

Really, the vending machine is a joke, a little in-game collectible like the inoperative science equipment. You can't use it to survive.

As for the suggestion of an obesity meter, it's ridiculous. In a survival game, are you kidding? The reason education about obesity is covered in developed countries is because it's become a problem there, whereas in less developed countries, starvation is a more likely problem. The irony of a bunch of people with Internet and PCs and leisure time discussing whether to add an obesity meter to a survival game is beyond ludicrous.

However making your own nutrient bars makes a lot of sense. You could have different recipes that gave different food values - some that reduced your hunger loss rate, some that reduce hunger by a lot but also add to thirst, some that restore some health.

Why not add a late-game device that actually cooks hot meals? Surely with all that tech, it would be reasonable to assume that after a while a survivor would like to get some hot meals other than the odd cooked fish.