[gameplay] balance of energy & O² as gates (updated)

2»

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited August 2017
    The seamoth is built for both Sea and space. The prawn is for land, water and space. Why wouldn't they produce oxygen if they work in space? The cyclops isn't made for space so you can't get oxygen from that. Bases might work but you would have to give them power, and the only way I can see that work is with solar panels or some power generator that works in space, (bio and nuclear reactors can work but you need resources to power them) So it would be harder to get oxygen for the seamoth and prawn in space. So why wouldn't they produce their own oxygen? It would be a waste of time to have the people go back everyone in a while to refill their own oxygen. And in the chance that someone in their seamoth or prawn ends up going flying far away, having limited oxygen in them makes it hard for them to have enough time to get back. Also the game takes place in the future.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited August 2017
    The seamoth is built for both Sea and space. The prawn is for land, water and space. Why wouldn't they produce oxygen if they work in space? The cyclops isn't made for space so you can't get oxygen from that. Bases might work but you would have to give them power, and the only way I can see that work is with solar panels or some power generator that works in space, (bio and nuclear reactors can work but you need resources to power them) So it would be harder to get oxygen for the seamoth and prawn in space. So why wouldn't they produce their own oxygen? It would be a waste of time to have the people go back everyone in a while to refill their own oxygen. And in the chance that someone in their seamoth or prawn ends up going flying far away, having limited oxygen in them makes it hard for them to have enough time to get back. Also the game takes place in the future.

How would you produce oxygen in space? In the ocean it's at least possible using electrolysis, but space is a vacuum which doesn't have anything. To be able to work in space, they would need their own separate oxygen supplies (unless you're doing energy to matter conversion to produce your oxygen, which is far beyond the energy storage and fabrication technologies demonstrated in the game universe). Taking place in the future doesn't change the laws of physics.

Not to mention that real-world oxygen life support systems often store the oxygen as a liquid, which is extremely space efficient. In the case of the Apollo missions, specifically Apollo 13, about 300 pounds of liquid oxygen stored in about the same amount of space as double SCUBA tanks was enough for 3 astronauts for 6 days.

It would be completely believable for small vehicles in Subnautica to have enough oxygen for a few days of operation without having to resort to magically generating it out of nothing.
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    edited August 2017

Sorry but your arguments fail to reach its own logical conclusion.

- Why wouldn't the SMALL & MEANT TO BE CARRIED Seamoth not use stored oxygen in space? Everything in it scream that it would.
    - The Seamoth don't have the thrust to overcome more than a small moon gravitational pull
    - It doesn't have the cargo or equipment to do more than taxi job, quick look or repair jobs around bigger ship like the Aurora?
    - Human rarely spends hours or sleeps inside tin can for no reason.
    - Hours of oxygen is more than enough to qualify for more jobs than we can count, and if one consider that as a GAME time is compressed for gameplay, then they'd already fit days of O².
    - This is not because you can filter and purify air in a large vehicle that it is profitable in a small vehicle.
    - If future is your excuse for everything, why not a magic wand sonic screwdriver that make SEA EMPEROR instantly tame or flee? why not a magic portable energy-to-air mask? (so that if your Seamoth is destroyed you can breath in space?) why not transfer your mind into a cyberbrain that do not need oxygen or frail organic body? Why not use remote drone since the technology would easily allow you remote control of human-like body?

My suggestion would make the GAME better, every aspect give you a fun gameplay that is AS EASY (if not more) than the previous one. AND it fit within the lore as well.
    I've yet to see a rational reason to be against (at least for players, devs have their own priority)

If you look at the strello development card, you'll see that the developers (obviously) always considered having O² as a resources (all submarine game do, even set in the future). Why it didn't happen is easy to guess: They needed to add other things first, using placeholder mechanics are a staple of the Early-Access model.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited August 2017
    If it does happen I would at least like the option to turn it off. I would find it annoying. Even if it lasted for a couple hours. Or at least some item that can make it infinite. Since I like to spend hours away from my base or cyclops with just the prawn and seamoth for fun and I wouldn't want to be screwed over because of a limited supply of oxygen. Or the option is disabled in freedom mode. Since that mode it meant for people who want to explore and go through the story with less restrictions.
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    edited August 2017
    The seamoth is built for both Sea and space. The prawn is for land, water and space.

I must have missed an Experimental checkin. Since when did either sub fly in space?
    The seamoth is a one-person vehicle with an independent, replaceable power cell and a fully customizable design. Low power, multi-directional thrusters enable it to function equally well in sea or .space environments Most long-range vessels carry at least two vehicles of this class to facilitate the exploration and exploitation of small astronomical bodies
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    If it does happen I would at least like the option to turn it off. I would find it annoying. Even if it lasted for a couple hours. Or at least some item that can make it infinite. Since I like to spend hours away from my base or cyclops with just the prawn and seamoth for fun and I wouldn't want to be screwed over because of a limited supply of oxygen. Or the option is disabled in freedom mode. Since that mode it meant for people who want to explore and go through the story with less restrictions.

Well, you are entitled to lobby for your own personal experience.
    Myself I'm talking of improving "survival mode" or at least to topple it as the game mode that offer the most fun/complete experience out of subnautica (not pointless challenge, more gameplay).

But I still want to make a point that under what you've said, you are more "screwed" right now (even in FREEDOM mode) than you would with my idea.

Currently:
    - developer can only nerf your energy to keep you entertained/challenged
    (if subs range is linked to O², they could stop limiting energy to serve as a makeshift "air-storage" as they do now)
    - the air-tank are extremely limited because subs act as infinite supply so nothing would challenge you.
    (my suggestion include increasing air-tank since it would stay balanced no matter how much spare energy you have)
    - you switch powercell more often than you surface or dock,
    (my idea fully hope to have you lose power before you lose O²)
    - if you lose all energy, you are completely screwed with only a minute or 2 to live, repair or escape.
    (With my suggestion, you would get more time to think, escape, wait to escape, wait before switching powercell, or -say- put a floater to bring even a prawn to surface, hell you could increase the "repair" gameplay because now you have more time for it)

Also I now curious of what kind of "fun" you speak of that would have you :
    - stay away from any source of air (or energy), so as to never recharge air/energy accidentally.
    - stay away from the surface or seabase in an highly mobile seamoth.
    - stay away from the Cyclops (which would still produce O² and recharge vehicle).
    - not mind walking slowly (prawn) or carry so little (seamoth), so as to never recharge accidentally in a cyclops
    - not be bothered by doing more back&forth between the outside and your submarine.
    (Again, my math say you'd waste less time surfacing once in a while with a 30% boost to your dive time)

Really, what do you do that wouldn't be improved by this idea?
    Because it look like you would prefer to play CREATIVE mode with the story enabled but O² and energy turned off as well. I'm not one to judge, there's good thing to say about "custom gameplay" but usually this is only good if you can activate other features for those you disable.

ps: yes I will write exaggeratedly long post to make a single point.
    ps²: you will be assimilated, resistance is futile
    Picard_as_Locutus.jpg
    throws a cup of water at the robot
    robot short circuits and becomes enraged, +2 to attack, -2 to hit
    You knock the robot's head off, but the logic boards are in the chest. Blinded, the robot becomes further enraged and begins flailing wildly. +4 to attack, -4 to hit.
    edited August 2017
    The robot is vaporized, along with you and the rest of the planet you were both standing on.
    edited August 2017
    Good

Waits that's a bad thing