Your ideal next ns2 build changelog

124»

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Kasharic wrote: »

Feel free to argue, but be aware, this isn't a "git gud" mentality, its a "you cannot expect to understand 100% of a complex game such as NS2 in a few rounds." mentality.

Saying things like "make a giant mental leap of walking backwards" and "just manage energy better" are very clearly a "git gud" mentality.. how anyone could argue otherwise is a complete mystery.

I'm not actually saying "new players should git gud" with that. I'm saying "this is a concept so easy you don't even need to git gud at it".
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited July 2017

but What you want is a drastically reduced skill ceiling to help rookies compete with vets which is completely against the idea of competition.

No that's not what I want. Not even remotely. That's just what you people keep saying I want.

Now if I was arguing for the heal to be brought back, or for boneshield to be made similarly OP in another way.. Then you might have a point.

And the personal attack doesn't really work since I hate "RPG Single player space marine adventure games" with a passion. (one of the reasons I despise playing Marines)

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    Oh that mod. Remind me again why it wasn't implemented in vanilla?

Because salt
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    ^^ the above posts are a good example of the unfortunate "git gud" type of elitist mentality many members of the NS2 community have...

No, this has nothing to do with gitgud mentality.

Games, by definition, are about challenging yourself. That's what makes them thrilling.
    When you start a game, do you expect to know every mechanic in it? No. You explore. You experience. You fail, you learn, you improve.

If there's no "skill-mobility" in a game, it's stale and boring.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    ReWork the "mark" mechanic for the footsoldiers, it's very bad and we need a new one.
    - I mark a vent after spotting an alien, none of the soldiers notice the mark and just walks pass the vent.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    - Marines can shoot mines and detonate them from a distance.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    TinCan wrote: »

It is already implemented... it's called FriendlyFire, what is long overdue if you consider the GL spam...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Handschuh wrote: »
    TinCan wrote: »

It is already implemented... it's called FriendlyFire, what is long overdue if you consider the GL spam...

Ask your friendly neighborhood server operator to enable friendly fire on your favorite server.
  • ResistorResistor Russia Join Date: 2014-08-01 Member: 197747Members
    edited August 2017
    Balance:
    - do something with shift hive and silence (ref. https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152361/how-is-silence-on-shift-hive-still-a-thing )
    - do something with pulse grenades, maybe increase the exploison range or add other buff.
    - make cysts loose the infestation after being disconnected from hive (or just bring back good old cyst mechanics).
    - myst should not heal the harvester without infestation (there is almost no pont in killing the cysts nowadays :'( )
    Maps:
    -fix some places where aliens can hide and tease marines without any risk of rightful vengeance (for example: pipes near the wall in conduit (ns2_refinery).
    -rework docking (landing bay especially), mineshaft (hive in cave...) and refinery. They're just... don't feel right.
    -remove or redesign vents leading to east and west rooms in descent.
    Misc:
    -add alternative keybinds fof every action (2 different keys for the same action).
    -ability to build gorge tunnel entrance/exit separately at will.
    -"Average skill" in server browser would be useful.
    -remove hp bars.
    - add new sound for HMG shots.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    - Added drop-down box for Installed Mods on server details window in server browser. Click on the mod title to see the workshop page in steam overlay.

(Is this on the list already?)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    The ability to med correctly at any angle, not just the middle of the screen.
    That would be great, yes.

Medpacking in Siege is a nightmare...
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just make parasite an "ability" and bindable to a single key/mouse button. May have to rework gorge to make a few weapon slots bindable as well.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Webtrance wrote: »
    Just make parasite an "ability" and bindable to a single key/mouse button. May have to rework gorge to make a few weapon slots bindable as well.

This should be on the trello List If I remember correctly, but I hope they'll make it configurable ... if they have learned from their mistakes
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    Webtrance wrote: »
    Handschuh wrote: »
    This should be on the trello List If I remember correctly, but I hope they'll make it configurable ... if they have learned from their mistakes

https://trello.com/c/qKdFTBqU

• jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    I think new players should be able to start new servers more easily with a good server config that works
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Each lifeform seeing slightly different information with hive sight. e.g.:
    skulks can see marine eHP & structure locations; gorges can see structure eHP & marine locations; lerks can only see marine armor; fades can only see marine HP; and Onos can only see marine eHP.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Mouse wrote: »
    Each lifeform seeing slightly different information with hive sight. e.g.:
    skulks can see marine eHP & structure locations; gorges can see structure eHP & marine locations; lerks can only see marine armor; fades can only see marine HP; and Onos can only see marine eHP.

Probably not the greatest idea for NS2, but I think it's a fascinating idea nonetheless. You could build a game around this.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited August 2017
    64 bit and optimize ns2 by removing duplicate textures appearing in multiple folders but with different or same names that waste hdd space.
  • ArcticCubArcticCub Join Date: 2017-08-18 Member: 232466Members
    edited August 2017
    Alien Changes:
    -removed silence
    -skulk shift walking speed increased to 5.5, improved by celerity, up to 7(base move speed) at 3 spurs
    this improves the sneakyness of skulks in the absence of silence without allowing silent wall jumping and
    and without reducing the sound of bite, so if you miss your first sneaky bite behind a marine, beware!
    -parasite with 3 veils and vampirism is now silent (still breaks cloak)
    -gorge heal spray with 3 veils and vampirism is now silent (sneaky tunnels are not gone! dont forget to
    crouch walk:P)
    -removed focus (tenative, needs testing)
    -stab becomes the new focus for fades, it behaves as focus swipe does current, but with the stab animation
    (no delay)
    -stab requires biomass 4 to research
    -removed energy cost for bite, lerk bite, and gore
    -onos move speed reverted to pre-316 values

Marine Changes:
    -new research "Welders", marines spawn with welders, requires armory, costs 5 tres, takes 45sec
    -welders purchased from armory cost 1 pres (More pres for guns!)
    -axe hotkey changed to "6" when welder is equiped
    -option to prevent welders from auto pickup, to pickup a welder, press G (default) with your axe equiped
    -removed machine gun
    -added extended clip for rifle, adds 25 rounds to the rifle for a total of 75 rounds at the expense of a
    33% increase in reload rate, extended clips are purchasable at an advanced armory for 10 pres. Rifles
    sporting extended clips have a new distinct firing sound, and when dropped by marines are highlighted
    by a red boarder. Added some extra weight while using extended clips, equivelent to using a gl.
    -increased the effectiveness of welders welding exos' by 33% while the exo is not firing, an exo is considered
    not firing when it as 0 heat or 0 charge.
    -railgun exos now have a minimum charge time of X (tenative) before firing, if the fire button is released
    before minimum charge is exceeded, the rail gun will not fire.
    -railguns no longer pierce shades, crags, shifts, harvesters, hives, clogs, or onoses

Misc Changes:
    -removed health bars
    -commanders can see enemy health bars for 5 seconds after the enemy takes damage
    -emergency power lighting after power has gone down will now only activate in rooms with a fully built
    command chair (does not change the delay before power can be rebuilt)
    -aliens can now cyst to unbuilt or unsocketed power nodes. Once matured, the cyst will slowly destroy the
    blueprint, once destroyed the lights will begin to flicker, and after 10 secs the lights will go out, to
    get the power back online, destroy the cyst on the node then weld the power node
    -improved the power of marine flash lights [a little :)]
    -evolution overlay updated to include player count of players currently evolving a specific lifeform
    (i.e shows the number of gorge eggs at the beginning of a match, when there are 0 gorges)
    -aliens no longer get pinged on the map due to proximity when slow walking or standing still.
    -whips fixed, number of whips limited to biomass
    -tunnel control
    -Lots of optimizations!
    -64bit!
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    tf did you do to skulk bite range revert that shit its awful
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    fix hitreg and kills around corners
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    RadimaX wrote: »
    fix hitreg and kills around corners

Dude...