Talking about Performance - Subnautica

2»

Comments

• tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    I read through some of the progress stuff and it's exciting. I'm glad that development continues to move forward and is making strides on performance. Honestly, I have a game to play now that I find enjoyable. I would rather wait another year (obviously not the estimate) and have the game as close to perfect as it can get. I know that at some point it needs to shut off feature updates and move to full release, but another year of Dev time leaves me wondering what you guys would come up with during that period (I'm sure a lot of ideas had to be shelved due to time constraints). It's a bit early to be talking about DLC expansions, but I'll be in line if the quality is there.
  • SeanKHSeanKH Severn, MD Join Date: 2016-10-20 Member: 223263Members
    Hugh, you guys keep at it full steam ahead! You've got a devoted fan base just waiting for this game to drop. If the performance issues are finally fixed, this game will be great!
  • DripdryDripdry Georgia Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226041Members
    Hi,

Saw in the Trello that Subnautica was upgraded to Unity 5.4. Was that only for VR (Vive), or will that take advantage of Unity's better multithreaded utilization overall?

Thanks!
  • KainSteakFriesKainSteakFries Degasi Seabase #YES Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232054Members
    SteakFries is pleased...
  • londonsmartlondonsmart anderson south carolina Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230782Members
    how does one get all that wonderful stuff i only have five things in that pic poster,dragon doll,desk,aurora,chair
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Good bye Cutefish. Good bye subnautica. Knew it was going down hill toward the beginning when emphasis on exploration and tera forming was shelved just to be another run of the mill lead ya by the nose series of missions. So many of the elements that we have been drooling for, put aside for hum drum game play.
  • Midnight97Midnight97 Honduras Join Date: 2017-08-12 Member: 232372Members
    edited August 2017
    Oh, boy. I'm so happy to read this. The game's fucking amazing, and the only thing stopping me from enjoying it as much as I should, are the lag spikes and stuttering when moving around the map, which is what the game's made for, exploring and getting scared at different spoopy areas. You don't know how scary the Sea Dragon can be until you try to escape from it at a changing framerate that goes from 50 to 25, then to 60 and back to 20, and stuttering like there's no tomorrow.

It's a bit sad that we need to sacrifice content, but still, there's nothing stopping you, guys, to give us some post-launch updates. So, right now a bit of optimization would be nice. I think that in most of the cases, including this one, QUALITY > QUANTITY, so I'm happy with this.

Can't wait!
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Good bye Cutefish. Good bye subnautica. Knew it was going down hill toward the beginning when emphasis on exploration and tera forming was shelved just to be another run of the mill lead ya by the nose series of missions. So many of the elements that we have been drooling for, put aside for hum drum game play.

I dont know about you, but I would rather have smooth gameplay than half finished prototype features. Hopefully some more content can be added after release, but all of these bugs need to be squashed before 1.0.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Personally I appreciate this post. I'm confident the release version will deliver an amazing experience on par with the scope we players have been lucky enough to enjoy thus far.

I do have one concern, and please don't take this the wrong way, I thoroughly enjoy the experience of this environment and game play style, but that this current map pretty small in light of playing and replaying. I spend a few weeks completing the final version of this game I'll have little reason to replay it.

*Hits agree button*
    My sincere suggestion is, as a follow up expansion to this game, expand the map to true planet size, allow massive multiplayer, incorporate a trade economy, continuing quest chains, even a sandbox world, etc...

*removes agree and disagrees*
    rL97Px
  • MoonotaurMoonotaur England Join Date: 2017-08-14 Member: 232405Members
    Personally i do think you should focus on performance but once that is done please carry on features
  • OpinionsAreFunOpinionsAreFun Join Date: 2017-06-21 Member: 231244Members
    I'd be really happy to read this if you guys weren't so behind on updating this masterpeice so it's bitter sweet
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It's like the difference between home-made and store-bought pies. One gets finished mixing, and comes out of the oven, 'when it's done. It might not be the same every time but it's made with love and care. The store-bought one gets popped out once ever [x] minutes, always the same, never straying from the recipe. A cookie-cutter product designed necessarily for quantity over quality. They aren't holding back updates because they're slacking off. They're holding them back because they aren't ready yet.
  • SeanKHSeanKH Severn, MD Join Date: 2016-10-20 Member: 223263Members
    I'd be really happy to read this if you guys weren't so behind on updating this masterpeice so it's bitter sweet

Masterpieces take time to update. ;^)
  • obsidian_eclipseobsidian_eclipse uk Join Date: 2017-05-04 Member: 230239Members
    edited August 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    It's like the difference between home-made and store-bought pies. One gets finished mixing, and comes out of the oven, 'when it's done. It might not be the same every time but it's made with love and care. The store-bought one gets popped out once ever [x] minutes, always the same, never straying from the recipe. A cookie-cutter product designed necessarily for quantity over quality. They aren't holding back updates because they're slacking off. They're holding them back because they aren't ready yet.

Great.. Now I want pie AND Subnautica.. Thanks alot
  • TheStellarEngineerTheStellarEngineer United States Join Date: 2017-03-19 Member: 229041Members

Pies are fun when shared. They should at least add multiplayer.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members

Ohhhh. Its been awhile since one of these.

Time to get the popcorn

UWE won't be doing multi as at this point it would require a major rework of the game and they don't have the time and resources to pull that off. However, if you don't mind it being a little wonky, there's a mod in progress that fits the bill: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/152087/multiplayer-mod-update#latest
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

You...you...

guid7b5cqv6u.jpg

...you monster...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members

... and while They are at that ...,

They should add Three more, 'Bigger' Submarines.
    Claw Arms to the Seamoth.
    A actual Jet Pack to the P.R.A.W.N. for flying over the Aurora.
    A way for the player to Save the Sunbeam.
    The Transporter System should be able to take us to the planet going around in the sky.
    Another group of Precursors, coming to the planet to check on the original bunch.

And any other crazy ideas a player comes up with.
    smh
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

The Transporter System should be able to take us to the planet going around in the sky.
    Another group of Precursors, coming to the planet to check on the original bunch.

smh

I want a pony.

smh
    DarthOmnis wrote: »

smh

I want a pony.

(Official) Multiplayer confirmed!
  • Nikki12Nikki12 Cloquet Minnesota Join Date: 2017-08-30 Member: 232745Members
    u know thats 2 much to ask, they're trying their best to just get this 1 update. just be happy with what you get. but for now they r following their story of Subnautica. Thank you for the game, creators of Subnautica.

Nikki12 wrote: »
    u know thats 2 much to ask, they're trying their best to just get this 1 update. just be happy with what you get. but for now they r following their story of Subnautica. Thank you for the game, creators of Subnautica.

My apologies, I forgot to add the /s at the end.
  • AssassinWolfCubAssassinWolfCub Join Date: 2017-08-22 Member: 232533Members
    Wouldn't you be able to do multiplayer much easier on console using Xbox live? (Just an idea)

smh

There will most likely not be a way to save the sunbeam because that the sunbeam getting shot down Is there as motivation for the player to go in the gun and continue with the story and, also a bigger submarine would be too hard to move around without terraforming.
    Moonotaur wrote: »
    Personally i do think you should focus on performance but once that is done please carry on features

100% agree
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    @AssassinWolfCub Unfortunately, it just doesn't make sense from a development perspective to focus on performance first. If they did that, they would have to re-tune performance whenever they added a new feature, which would make the entire process take much longer. It's a bummer to have to live with, but that's what we get with a pre-release game.

Performance has improved along with the features, it just hasn't been the focus.

XBox players will likely see a huge performance boost once they get the update, since the devs fixed a whole lot of other stuff along the way. I'm hoping, anyway.
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    @AssassinWolfCub Unfortunately, it just doesn't make sense from a development perspective to focus on performance first. If they did that, they would have to re-tune performance whenever they added a new feature, which would make the entire process take much longer. It's a bummer to have to live with, but that's what we get with a pre-release game.

Performance has improved along with the features, it just hasn't been the focus.

XBox players will likely see a huge performance boost once they get the update, since the devs fixed a whole lot of other stuff along the way. I'm hoping, anyway.

I don't exactly agree with the order but do think the devs should work on adding some features that were scrapped
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members

smh

There will most likely not be a way to save the sunbeam because that the sunbeam getting shot down Is there as motivation for the player to go in the gun and continue with the story and, also a bigger submarine would be too hard to move around without terraforming.

I do find quite often around here that my witty sarcasm is a much wasted effort ...
    :#
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Performance has definitely improved since the last time I played. I can now pilot the seamoth normally without the game struggling to load everything as I speed across the map.