Should they keep the Dive Reel?

Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
Earlier in the discord chat, Cory(developer) asked if anyone was using the Dive Reel and said that they might just end up removing it due to how buggy it is.
eljneggjatq1.png
What do you think about the possibility of the Dive Reel getting removed? Do you use it? Do you think it should be removed?

Comments

• SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    I used it once, it was worse than worthless. I started it at the entrance to one of the ducts in one of the wrecks. It cut through the terrain just like the beam from the power transmitter does, so it doesn't help you find your way back because it goes in a straight line from the anchor point to you. When I ran out of oxygen, died, and respawned in the lifepod the reel was still attached! I had to swim all the way back out to the wreck to disengage it. Never touched it again.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Remove, but if they fix all the collisions, it might be worth saving (as then it might work right).
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    It was a cool idea, and ideally it could have been very useful in some certain caves.

I'd say remove it, and make an easier-to-implement replacement item for complex cave-system navigation. Maybe a HUD-chip or something, that will trace your movements for an adjustable period of time.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited August 2017
    I like the concept of the dive reel and, like @Skope, believe it'd make for a great ingredient for the grappling arm. However, if decisions need to be made, then it strikes me that the dive reel requires a lot of improvement while not being a priority concern.

So I vote remove. I'd be interested to see it updated and reimplemented post-V1.0 if for such is time, but as is I doubt many will miss it.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    If they can make it better, then keep it. But I've never even used it before.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    I'd say remove for now, but work on it later as part as the expansion when time is less of a concern. I don't want to chop this item, as it is a little unique and realistic, but as it is it's pretty worthless.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    If the devs can actually fix the dive reel and make it useful, then it would be a neat item to have for exploring caves in the safe shallows and wrecks. However, the current implementation is so broken that it would be better to have it removed unless it can be made to work properly.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2017
    I used it to navigate the Jelly Shroom caves before I had a seamoth. It's terrifying to lose track of the where your entrance was on the ceiling, so it was at least good for that. On the other hand though... it's glitchiness got me killed while diving inside a particularly maze-like wreck... I definitely like the idea of it, just needs to fix the bugs with it.
    (BTW, I don't work on subnautica, I work on another UWE project, so that's what the yellow badge is for...)
  • JammingSlowlyJammingSlowly USA Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225215Members
    The model is already done.
    Some of the physics is already there.
    And the idea of a dive reel is great for deep cave exploring.
    It just needs a few fixes, and I think it would be a great thing to keep in game.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    Never once have I used it. Personal opinion but I just prefer rushing a Seamoth as it doesn't take very long to get one going.
  • JammingSlowlyJammingSlowly USA Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225215Members
    edited August 2017
    I have voted to keep it, but that's because I don't believe the problem is really technical.
    The real problem is that it isn't useful with the current states of other mechanics. So little that I suspect (and now we know) the devs simply didn't had the time.

Even if it worked perfectly at keeping track of your path,
    - there's nothing in the tortuous tunnels worth using it for (ideally a resources you regularly have to go back to, but not often enough to remember the place).
    - all other places are recognizable enough that you won't need one after a few dive.
    - when you need it the most you never have the oxygen autonomy to allow yourself to get lost, not until you carry several UHC tanks.
    - at which point the seamoth give you infinite O² and FIT INSIDE MANY TUNNELS

I had brought up that problem when I suggested reworking infinite submarine O² into an EASIER more fulfilling gameplay

Subnautica_Gating_with_energy_air_suggestion_2.jpg

I feel like making narrow tunnel caves would actually be a good thing for the devs to do.
    Too narrow for the Seamoth to fit into.
    Many under sea cave openings are very small and easy to miss.
    I feel that making a few of these that lead to alien structures would be a pretty good idea.
    The alien structure would give the player a bigger reason to worry about the cave.
    As if it were just ore in the cave, it's not worth looking in to.
    And making the caves a little maze like would make the dive reel a lot more useful.
  • SelvekSelvek United States Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232292Members
    Yeah, the dive reel is totally useless as is. But I think it would be great if it worked.

Pre-seamoth cave diving is one of the scariest aspects of the game. It is SO easy to get yourself turned around, and with the short early game oxygen time limit, you wind up pushing yourself to the time limit to try and explore wrecks or caves. So then you're like, "i really wish there were an item that I could use to find my way out of the cave in case I get turned around." And then you discover the dive reel, and you're like, "hooray, this is perfect". (And then you try it out and discover it's broken...)

Anyway, I think it's a great concept and a great way to feel progression in the early game. I also feel like there are a couple ways it could be made usable without being too crazy a coding task - for example, what if it is extended by placing posts on the cave wall? (I'm thinking of the tethers from Astroneer). That way collision between the rope and the wall only has to be checked once when the post is placed - the glitches in the current dive reel seem to happen because you can pull on the rope and move it.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    There's talk of making it a grappling hook
  • JBottzJBottz VA, USA Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232298Members
    I would say go ahead and remove it. I have been playing the game since Early Alpha and even after the dive reel once introduced, I didn't end up even trying to use it until a couple months ago when on a survival playthrough (the last several have been without comconsole, just a !00% play-it-as-intended playthrough) When I did intend to use it, which I believe was for one of the wrecks, either Floating Island or Koosh (I mean Bulb) Zone, I can't recall. Point being it did little much to help me through, especially since as a seasoned player I've already developed my own little system and tricks for getting around wrecks and caves such as using flares and the flood light. Cory mentioned that he was not quite sure if they were going to end up being easy to fix bugs or not. If more time can be made polishing the game into near flawlessness, versus working exceptionally long amounts of time for a feature that I feel most players don't use, or if they do use, not for much longer than a few wrecks and the Safe Shallows Caves. All in all, if I personally had to make the call, I would scrap it for now. There's always DLC.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I'd like to see it repaired and kept. But if the game is coming up on an item or other limit, then yeah, it should go.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I'm voting remove, because they have been ignoring its bugginess for so long, and now they're announcing that it's time to cut the fat and focus on performance in anticipation of launch.

That said, a dive reel is exactly the sort of thing you would want in the early game for cave exploration and is a logical piece of equipment to have, so it's disappointing to see it actually go.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Its definitely still useful after you get the seamoth for delving into some of the larger and more maze-like wrecks.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    edited August 2017
    @Lorebot You bring up good points and it's good to hear feedback from a new player. I don't use it because I know the terrain very well by this point, and you will too eventually. I am all for them making it work and I like your suggestions, I just feel there are still some glaring problems that should be addressed before official release. Also, if you want an in game map, build a picture frame (if you have the blue print). You can open up your saves images folder and put .jpg format images in it for use in game. I typically use this for an in game map, which there are some online that should be fairly accurate.
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    Never used it. How many of those who voted to keep it actually use it regularly?
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Never fabricated one; turns out that until this thread I had no idea how they worked. I was under the impression that you attached an anchor to something, and then some sort of wire spooled out of it as you explored, then when you needed to go back you could have it literally reel you back in. Looks like the actual implementation is such that I missed nothing by never crafting one.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    So from reading comments here I'm forced to conclude that I'm some kind of robot, because I've never really lost my way in any of the caves, and that's without using a Dive Reel. Not once.

Jelly Shroom Caves? Easy.

Safe Shallows caves? No worries.

Caves in the Mountains, the Kelp Forest, and the Koosh Zone? Easy.

Just look for distinctive landmarks and follow them back.
  • EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    It was a good idea and it would be a really helpful device. But in it's current state, it's worthless.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I think I made it once in-game, carried it around with me for a few hours and never used it. I'm probably weird that way, but if I actually happen to get lost in one of the cave systems, I consider it fun - a part of the adventure and exploration package that comes with Subnautica.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    the dive reel is just so buggy, I usually have to abandon it halfway through the game.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Earlier in the discord chat, Cory(developer) asked if anyone was using the Dive Reel and said that they might just end up removing it due to how buggy it is.
    eljneggjatq1.png
    What do you think about the possibility of the Dive Reel getting removed? Do you use it? Do you think it should be removed?

1.) I don't get it that the devs don't use gamplay statistics on the use of the players items. I always thought they already had their statistics and could see what item is used and what not. How else could they see if a certain item is never used at all and when to cut it? Or find out that most players like a certain item and then spend more development on creating more things like it.
    I have voted to keep it, but that's because I don't believe the problem is really technical.
    The real problem is that it isn't useful with the current states of other mechanics. So little that I suspect (and now we know) the devs simply didn't had the time.

Even if it worked perfectly at keeping track of your path,
    - there's nothing in the tortuous tunnels worth using it for (ideally a resources you regularly have to go back to, but not often enough to remember the place).
    - all other places are recognizable enough that you won't need one after a few dive.
    - when you need it the most you never have the oxygen autonomy to allow yourself to get lost, not until you carry several UHC tanks.
    - at which point the seamoth give you infinite O² and FIT INSIDE MANY TUNNELS

I had brought up that problem when I suggested reworking infinite submarine O² into an EASIER more fulfilling gameplay

Subnautica_Gating_with_energy_air_suggestion_2.jpg

2.) Limited air/O2 use quickly got a negative impact on the game and the devs never tried to limit vehicle air. Which never made sense since it would add into the concept of vehicles needing to dock at motherships like the Cyclops or an underwater habitat base the player had to build. It would not even be too stressful, as only a few strategic base placements in the deep would be enough for the entire game map.

My own experiences with the dive reel were always negative: unusable when you would need it (in tight cave or wreck labyrinths) and only usable when you don't need it (in not so tight and more straight tunnels). With unlimited vehicle air it got absolutely useless.

Even if the devs could get it to work now, the unlimted vehicle air and now big UHC air tank would never allow it to be of much use then. So it would be best to cut it out of the game.

On the other side the dive reel could still be reprogrammed to attach to living predators (if it doesn't already as I dropped using the dive reel long ago) and thus allow players to get a free ride if they dare to dance with the predators. So more work like the Prawn grappling hook, but before you get the Prawn and just for the diver.