New sub idea

LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
While @Minder's bigger sub models look great, what I really want to see something in between the size of the Seamoth and Cyclops. Personally, I hate the Cyclops, it's big and clumsy and it's only real value for me is transporting the Prawn so that when I save and quit the Prawn won't fall through the landscape... I'd rather walk the Prawn all the way down to the ALZ than take the Cyclops, although maybe if the devs sort out Silent Running and make it more stealthy... I dunno, I find it too clumsy.

I'd like to see more of an ALVIN-type craft. Bigger than the Seamoth, not quite as fast maybe, but with the ability to use Prawn arms and sub-1500m depth capability. It should have a decent amount of built-in storage, exterior and interior, plus sonar, point defense, and thermal recharge options. It should have a small space behind the cockpit, about the size of the lifepod, where you can build a fab, rechargers etc. plus room for a small bed (built-in?) and a plant pot or two on the floor. Ideally, it should also be able to use whatever that Silent Running technology is that Alterra uses on the Cyclops. One rear-view camera should be available, maybe as a HUD insert.

In terms of pictures... I am terrible at art. The closest comparison would be this:

17337229304_41e365b172_z.jpg

Imagine that without the two massive grey tubes slung underneath. Also, the arms should be less protrusive, maybe slung underneath the bubble window.

Maybe @Minder could whip up a concept? :P We could call it the Lobster.

Comments

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    The devs clearly stated that the (seamoth, exosuit,cyclops) are the only vehicles that will be in 1.0 maybe the atlas will get implemented if minder finishes the atlas completely (model,animations,etc) but for other subs then after 1.0
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    adel_50 wrote: »
    The devs clearly stated that the (seamoth, exosuit,cyclops) are the only vehicles that will be in 1.0 maybe the atlas will get implemented if minder finishes the atlas completely (model,animations,etc) but for other subs then after 1.0

Yup, I'm aware this would have to be post-release. I'm hoping any expansion would include more areas to explore, so a new longer-range sub would be ideal.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited August 2017
    Having a sub like this would make the Cyclops almost entirely pointless. If you can take this to the ALZ, then what good is the Cyclops? This sub has all of its features minus the extra space and the prawn carrying.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I would love to see a vehicle like this, but what you're describing would effectively make all other vehicles pointless to use once this became available. It has interior space for lockers/fabricators like the Cyclops, has maneuverability like a Seamoth, and has Exosuit arms for Prawn specific attachments.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    edited August 2017
    the only way i see something that can be added like this is a biome specifically for this vehicle other than that get used to the cyclops
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    edited August 2017
    Having a sub like this would make the Cyclops almost entirely pointless. If you can take this to the ALZ, then what good is the Cyclops? This sub has all of its features minus the extra space and the prawn carrying.

Yup, it would be an upgrade, but so would @Minder's big sub. These are suggestions for an expansion, not for release, and my idea is assuming there will be longer distances to travel. Some people will want a bigger sub, others like me will want a more versatile one.
  • MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members
    Yeah that's a cool idea, the second sub i wanted would be close to what you describe. But i won't do concept art for this, i think it's better to stick to the official concept art. Something like a smaller version of the Manta or the pictures with a lot of different sub designs which seems pretty cool : https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/4/44/Subconcept.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/2000?cb=20160527053643

maybe in the future i could do a very quick model of one of them
  • PowerPistonsPowerPistons Neverland Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232266Members
    @Minder Hey I was also thinking a smaller manta would be a great design for my sub idea :lol:
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    It should stay in lego form. There for you can trick creatures into swimming over it, and it will hurt as much as stepping on it.....hopefully
  • b3aztb3azt Join Date: 2017-08-14 Member: 232411Members
    Do y'all ever think that they will add in the sandworm or grabcrab in to the full game or in a update