[POLL] Debate (healthy) in the Dev team! Can we help?

13»

Comments

• supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Both

Indeed. I think that's the eventual plan. Implementing it, however, isn't that easy. It might have to wait until after v1.0 (hopefully not!).
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    Flooding got pushed post-release. :(
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Jarin wrote: »
    Flooding got pushed post-release. :(

Yeah I saw that, a real shame. Oh well haha
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited August 2017
    What would happen to the fire suppression model if fires where removed?
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    What would happen to the fire suppression model if fires where removed?

Well I think they mean flooding will be another threat to the cyclops along with fire, so the suppression system should remain unchanged.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Is this poll still valid? It's from all the way back in February and I get the impression that the devs are more or less done with the Cyclops at this point.

I'm a little disappointed to see that the fire only system appears to have won out over flooding, but given the time crunch to get the game released (and how everything with the Cyclops seems to take at least 2x longer than anticipated) I'm not all that surprised given the tradeoff was that flooding was likely to be more difficult to implement.

Still, I would have preferred to see a combination of both systems implemented. Flooding damage would be in response to hull breaches, and fires would occur as a result of pushing the engine too hard (engine fires only) or in addition to flooding when a lot of damage is sustained at once (ramming into the terrain at flank speed for example).

Fires should rapidly use up O2 in the sub (right now they don't affect it) and flooding should behave the same way it does in seabases and put out any fires along the way. A fully flooded Cyclops isn't necessarily an instant death sentence, if the Cyclops still has some health left the player could fix up the breaches and the sub would pump the water out.

Also, we should have fires in seabases in response to certain types of damage, for example to rooms containing a reactor.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    edited August 2017
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    Is this poll still valid? It's from all the way back in February and I get the impression that the devs are more or less done with the Cyclops at this point.

I'm a little disappointed to see that the fire only system appears to have won out over flooding, but given the time crunch to get the game released (and how everything with the Cyclops seems to take at least 2x longer than anticipated) I'm not all that surprised given the tradeoff was that flooding was likely to be more difficult to implement.

Still, I would have preferred to see a combination of both systems implemented. Flooding damage would be in response to hull breaches, and fires would occur as a result of pushing the engine too hard (engine fires only) or in addition to flooding when a lot of damage is sustained at once (ramming into the terrain at flank speed for example).

Fires should rapidly use up O2 in the sub (right now they don't affect it) and flooding should behave the same way it does in seabases and put out any fires along the way. A fully flooded Cyclops isn't necessarily an instant death sentence, if the Cyclops still has some health left the player could fix up the breaches and the sub would pump the water out.

Also, we should have fires in seabases in response to certain types of damage, for example to rooms containing a reactor.

You put this perfectly. :)
    "Still, I would have preferred to see a combination of both systems implemented. Flooding damage would be in response to hull breaches, and fires would occur as a result of pushing the engine too hard (engine fires only) or in addition to flooding when a lot of damage is sustained at once (ramming into the terrain at flank speed for example).

Fires should rapidly use up O2 in the sub (right now they don't affect it) and flooding should behave the same way it does in seabases and put out any fires along the way. A fully flooded Cyclops isn't necessarily an instant death sentence, if the Cyclops still has some health left the player could fix up the breaches and the sub would pump the water out."