Scanner Room bugs + Misc.

Niil945Niil945 Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227321Members
Hey folks. I reinstalled after playing through some of the game months ago and decided to give it a go to see what's changed. Looks like the story is coming along well though I didn't play through too much of it as I want things to be fresh my first complete time through. Here's a few bugs I noticed that I haven't seen listed here yet.

- Scanner Room shows locations of things that aren't there anymore (fragments specifically is where I noticed this, I didn't check for other types of scannable objects). I would go and loot fragments after scanning for them. I'd scan for something else to get the fragments to clear and then change it back to fragments and it would still show all the ones I had already gathered. Makes it nigh impossible to use to find things in congested areas with lots of little fragments (battery chargers, seaglide, etc.).
- Scanner Room shows locations of fragments that aren't actually there. I'm not certain if this is a remnant of old fragment locations but to try to find specific blueprints I would build a scanner room and a bio reactor to power it, clear out stuff I found around it, reclaim it all and move it to a new location to repeat the process. I came across an area in the far southwest (approximately -800,-1200) that pinged about a dozen fragments but when I went to gather them nothing was there. They weren't under the ground level I was on as is the case sometimes, they simply showed as being there and there wasn't anything.
- This time I only encountered one base building bug. I placed a reinforcement on a wall section and then started building a medical dispenser on top of it. The building immediately stopped and I was left with a transparent image of the medical dispenser that I couldn't finish and I was unable to remove the reinforcement because an incomplete object was attached. I tried every which way I could to cancel the medical dispenser but eventually gave up. It left me with a portion of a base that, when I abandoned my initial base near the safe shallows, I wasn't able to reclaim all the resources and deconstruct my base. Not a huge deal but I spent a good 30 minutes messing with it trying to fix it. I even looked to see if there was a console command that would allow me to automatically deconstruct the module and couldn't find one.
- The seaglide would often times disappear on me, it wouldn't display in my hands and no sound effect would play from me using it even though it was being used. In order to fix it I would have to stop a second and then resume using it. Again not a big deal but with immersion being such a strong aspect of what makes the game great it would pull me out of it. Unfortunately this happened rather frequently.
- The music would cut out in odd ways when transitioning from one area to another or when riding the edge of a particular area.

I like the addition of being able to self scan and the progress that occurs. I only played through until the resolution of being provided a rendezvous location so I'm sure many of the changes are for late game content. Looks great and I can't wait to play the final product :)

Comments

• baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    You need to specify whether you are playing in Stable or Experimental (and if Experimental, which build #). That said, the issues with the scanner room are known and have been posted here. If you have a video card < 4GB in size, make sure you are playing on Recommended settings. I'm not sure but I think the disappearing Seaglide has been fixed in Experimental.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I've seen everything you're talking about here, all in current Stable build in Voice of the Deep (I forget the version number).

My theory about the Scanner Room is that it shows the locations of where things can spawn, not necessarily if they're there or not. I dunno if this is the intended effect, but I stopped using the Scanner Room because of it.

That thing with building something on a reinforced wall and it gets stuck? Drives me nuts.

To me, the most irritating thing about the Seaglide disappearing is losing its headlight. You can also switch to another tool and back to get it to reappear.
  • Azrael8991Azrael8991 Ohio Join Date: 2018-03-27 Member: 239522Members
    I am having the same issue, where the scanner room will show that there are a ton of resources nearby and when i go to collect them they are not there. Same thing with the HUD chip, in fact this is when I really noticed it. Makes it to where I have abandoned using the scanner room altogether and have gone to just searching for hours for the mats I am looking for/need.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    (un)Holy necromancy, Batman!
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    well this thread has been necroed, I guess before It gets locked I do want to mention another bug with the scanner room. After the drones were made to have infinity range, they still go blurry and almost go pitch black if you go to far, This should be removed, as it makes no sense to give them unlimited range if they become useless at 600m, since they go almost pitch black at 600m instead of 500m
    well this thread has been necroed, I guess before It gets locked I do want to mention another bug with the scanner room. After the drones were made to have infinity range, they still go blurry and almost go pitch black if you go to far, This should be removed, as it makes no sense to give them unlimited range if they become useless at 600m, since they go almost pitch black at 600m instead of 500m

That's not a bug and this is a bug reporting thread in the "bug" section of the forums, so if you want to make your displeasure known, it'd be far more effective to make a post in Ideas and Suggestions.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    techinally speaking it is a bug, since it was left in on accident
    techinally speaking it is a bug, since it was left in on accident

Do you have a source for this assertion or is it just your opinion?
    Opinion, some people can see it as a bug, others won't.
  • BaTLeZoneBaTLeZone Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240274Members
    i have an issue with the scanner room if u have more than one and decide to move one of the scanner rooms to a different location the cameras get named the same and some times don't work at all because of it. i have 3 cam3's.

cheers
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    I've seen everything you're talking about here, all in current Stable build in Voice of the Deep (I forget the version number).

My theory about the Scanner Room is that it shows the locations of where things can spawn, not necessarily if they're there or not. I dunno if this is the intended effect, but I stopped using the Scanner Room because of it.

That thing with building something on a reinforced wall and it gets stuck? Drives me nuts.

To me, the most irritating thing about the Seaglide disappearing is losing its headlight. You can also switch to another tool and back to get it to reappear.

I believe that the scanner room does what it is supposed to, showing where things are, but if the specific item doesn't leave the world (i.e., databoxes), the scanner still detects them. Also, usually a restart would fix most building glitches.