Terrain data format - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageTerrain data format - Subnautica

Modding We are starting to see some really cool mods for Subnautica, which is impressive, because we did not create Subnautica with mod support in mind. We do not have...

Read the full story here

Comments

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Bump for comments!
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Moos?
    39.gif
    Are you guys going to add cows? I still have nightmares about the Minecraft cows, please don't!

Geez, for once you could stay on topic and avoid derailing a thread with your pointless spam.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I've been hoping for a nod like this for a very long time. I hope to see more of this kind of thing once SN stabilizes. 3rd party modding is what keeps many single player games alive post-release.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Victor32 wrote: »
    Moos?
    39.gif
    Are you guys going to add cows? I still have nightmares about the Minecraft cows, please don't!

Geez, for once you could stay on topic and avoid derailing a thread with your pointless spam.

That's a MOOt point and you know it! But why do you seem so angry \o/

Yeah, a nod at the modders who are basically modding without any insight as to why and how stuff works. Merely working from their own Unity experience and I'm guessing reverse engineering stuff... This nod will perhaps give those magic programmers more stuff to work out their ideas. Modders always amaze me when they mod seemingly locked down games!
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    That's a MOOt point and you know it! But why do you seem so angry \o/

Yeah, a nod at the modders who are basically modding without any insight as to why and how stuff works. Merely working from their own Unity experience and I'm guessing reverse engineering stuff... This nod will perhaps give those magic programmers more stuff to work out their ideas. Modders always amaze me when they mod seemingly locked down games!

Heck yeah, it's like I mentioned before in the Multiplayer Mod thread for Subnautica. There's an old FPS I loved to death called Starsiege: Tribes and its sequel, Tribes 2. The core vanilla games were fun enough, but the games took on a whole new level of fun once Shifter added their magic touches to the game. A short list of stuff the mods added that the core game didn't even cover included:

* Unique classes with strengths and weaknesses
    * New weapon types, as well as new grenade/mines/utility pack options
    * Constructable weapon turrets anywhere on the map, as well as new support beacons
    * A frickin' scoring system with a leaderboard... didn't the developers even consider that?

And they weren't the only modders also. Other people turned the FPS game into a freeform Construction game (the core game had limits to the shield walls/floors/base support items you could build) or a RTS game (you had to use the E.L.F. gun to "gather material" in order to build deployable structures) or even a football game (Yup, football modified into a FPS game...) The flag from the "Capture the Flag" mode was the football... you could pick it up and kick it, pass it to teammates, try to steal it from the enemy team and score points by reaching the "field goal" (the enemy's base) lol.

The point of this all is to say that sometimes modding games don't always have a practical point, but to see what all a game engine is capable of doing and to find its practical limits. Sometimes it adds a lot more fun and replayability into a game by doing things the game wouldn't normally let you do (see also: Game Genie, GameShark, and hexadecimal codes for amusing alterations of video games.) I find it fascinating to see how games can be changed and remolded, and the devs at UWE are giving modders a nod with some details in how the terrain data is accessed should be interesting to keep up with. In short, new stuff = fun stuff, even if it's pointless... cuz in the end, it just adds more fun and amusement to an already awesome game. :blush:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2017
    Yup, same goes for BF1942 and the more locked out BF2, where some modding teams made some amazing mods. Heck even total conversion on BF1942 turning it into an actual Star Wars 3D space shooter mod in the style of BF1942's gameplay.

My fav was as some of you probably know Forgotten Hope and to a lesser extent Forgotten Hope 2 (merely because it had to fill the HUGE shoes of the first mod, which it wasn't really able to live up to).

i just wish modding would be on the level of GoldSrc, but the big companies keep trying to make it so damn difficult to mod instead of helping modders out. Although Steam Workshop seems to be a neat thing a lot of smaller game designers are using nowaways...
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited July 2017
    I was under the impression that the Devs of Subnautica would not see it with a good eye that people would try to mod their game. Thats often the stance developers take towards modders, which is sad, because some them are really talented.

Instead of behaving like such in the face of modders appearing to ''enhance'' their game i see they've decided to help them instead. My respect for Subnautica Devs was already high, its now gotten even higher! Kudos to you guys
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    This is too awesome. Many thanks to the developers for posting this info!
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I am in constant awe of people knowledgeable enough to mod games. They are directly responsible for a game's longevity, often they add hundreds of hours of gameplay and increase the fun factor dramatically. Kudos to UWE for recognizing that and supporting those talented people as best they can.
  • SeanKHSeanKH Severn, MD Join Date: 2016-10-20 Member: 223263Members
    Don't forget how Counter Strike was born from Half Life. Talk about an amazing mod story.
    edited July 2017
    SeanKH wrote: »
    Don't forget how Counter Strike was born from Half Life. Talk about an amazing mod story.

Yep, ie: Desert Combat basically spawned the modern warfare Battlefield series. Modding is highly underappreciated in this day and age, mostly because of financial reasons. A game having that longer lifespan because of modding, is less profitable for when the "next game" comes out.

On the other hand, Indie developers do seem to benefit a lot from modding, longevity of their game gives them more exposure. What with not having the marketing army the big companies have, all for that one trick pony cookie cutter game with small additions each year :o
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Yup, same goes for BF1942 and the more locked out BF2, where some modding teams made some amazing mods. Heck even total conversion on BF1942 turning it into an actual Star Wars 3D space shooter mod in the style of BF1942's gameplay.

My fav was as some of you probably know Forgotten Hope and to a lesser extent Forgotten Hope 2 (merely because it had to fill the HUGE shoes of the first mod, which it wasn't really able to live up to).

i just wish modding would be on the level of GoldSrc, but the big companies keep trying to make it so damn difficult to mod instead of helping modders out. Although Steam Workshop seems to be a neat thing a lot of smaller game designers are using nowaways...

I thought the Star Wars 3D shooter was based on 2142, not 1942? Or was there one for both?
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

I thought the Star Wars 3D shooter was based on 2142, not 1942? Or was there one for both?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-galactic-conquest :D
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

http://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-galactic-conquest :D

Nice. Here's the 2142 one (the only reason I bothered picking up 2142, actually) http://www.moddb.com/mods/first-strike
    That was kinda the spiritual successor to GC
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    I've been working with the terrain for a little bit now and I've been trying to generate the terrain mesh. I can create the voxels just fine but actually creating one big blob of a terrain isn't really going too well. I was trying to use the reference implementation found in these tweets but the inputs they take (either vertex distance for sog or points on edges for dcf) are not the same as the Subnautica's (density/signed dist for each voxel). Should I instead directly use the density values for voxels somehow or is there a way to transfer the data from Subnautica into one of the file formats in the reference implementation? (I know it's probably a stupid question but I don't understand dual contouring that well and I can't find much info on the internet)