Grand Reef fog update

Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
While not a really big update, it's still something I'd like to share here for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
The Grand Reef has gotten a new fog color!
Rb9Flh8.png
Below are some comparison pictures of the old and new fog.

Day comparison:
Old:
iqjb6hm5uh7q.png
New:
7cylp8n8f11d.png
Night comparison:
Old:
2lhtfuo72sk7.png
New:
escpjkay4k0m.png

Personally while I much prefer the new light blue day color I feel like the night lighting is way too bright, and it just doesn't have that same creepy feeling as before.

What are your thoughts on this change?

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I like it. It looked quite dreary before, and it was kinda hard to appreciate the biome when you couldn't see ten feet in front of your face.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I appreciated that thick dark. Gave the place a lot of atmosphere. Now It's just....boring.

I don't see how a black screen isn't boring.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    The day could have stayed the same, but I welcome the changes to the night. Although I think I'm on my own about that...
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited July 2017
    Everything in this biome including some of the floor is bioluminescent, so it's not like the old lighting was pitch black.
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Everything in this biome including some of the floor is bioluminescent, so it's not like the old lighting was pitch black.

No, it definitely wasn't pitch black. I just prefer the new night time lighting over the old. I can't quite put my finger on why.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited July 2017
    I liked it better before. It used to look cool with the floating stones and membrane trees glowing. Now, it just looks like the Lost River tree area's fog is everywhere. Not cool.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    The day could have stayed the same, but I welcome the changes to the night. Although I think I'm on my own about that...

I can agree with that. I like the dark of the Grand Reef and the way everything pops out against it yet still can catch you by surprise. But going to the GR at night is something I rarely do, especially now that various resources have become harder to see with their model update. So in terms of aesthetic vs functionality, a thing can be said in favor of brightening the GR's night look. Then remains the question if it needs to be that much brighter...
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Then remains the question if it needs to be that much brighter...

I'd say so. It gives off a foggy feel. Any darker and it would lose that touch, and any brighter and it would take away the night time aspect. It's a perfect mix of the two.

The Inactive Lava Zone, and the trenches leading to it, give the game the feeling of abyss. We don't need that feeling to be copy-pasted into the Grand Reef. It needs a unique flavour to it, and the new night-time lighting delivers. The daytime lighting just makes it look like any old surface biome, and takes away from this uniqueness.

I'd say so. It gives off a foggy feel. Any darker and it would lose that touch, and any brighter and it would take away the night time aspect. It's a perfect mix of the two.

The Inactive Lava Zone, and the trenches leading to it, give the game the feeling of abyss. We don't need that feeling to be copy-pasted into the Grand Reef. It needs a unique flavour to it, and the new night-time lighting delivers. The daytime lighting just makes it look like any old surface biome, and takes away from this uniqueness.

Curious then, do you feel old!day and new!night are a fair match to each other?

Curious then, do you feel old!day and new!night are a fair match to each other?

Yes, I do. They look quite good with one another, in my humble opinion.
    edited July 2017
    I'd even be okay with something that's more like an in-between of the current and old darkness like this:
    ydd8uy5z6blx.png
    Not really dark like the old lighting but not super bright like the new lighting.
  • FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    My god... I forgot how beautiful the Grand Reef was.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I think that it removes the biome's awesome vibe of a deep-sea reef.

Yeah, I have to agree - the night should be dark. It is one of the most distinctive things about that biome (and makes it cousin to the ghost kelp).
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    As speaking from a player who makes his home in the Grand Reef every single save file (at the Thermal Spouts near the Large Wreck), I really like this change. Before now, exploring the area for fish, nodes and fragments was a disappointment due to the biome's atmosphere. Daytime was decent, as there was enough ambient light to navigate - but down near the DGR entrance it was 'too dark' for my taste. Nighttime however was worse, as the light was too dim and navigating was a pain even with a Seaglide light.

I dunno if this affect me yet since I'm playing in Stable but I am really looking forward to this change. It seems like it will make swimming around the biome more treacherous and fun to prowl around in. :blush:
  • GarthGarth CA Join Date: 2016-07-15 Member: 220263Members
    I'm not really a fan of this change. Part of what made the grand reef so atmospheric was because it was so damned dark. I mean... this is deep ocean. It SHOULD be dark.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    A lot of the zone's atmosphere will be gone with this unrealistically bright lighting so I guess I'm not a fan of the change either. But then again, I do find fun in weird things - I enjoyed not being able to explore at night so I had to retreat to my base there and wait until daytime to move on. It was even more fun on creative with base lights off to watch all the bioluminescence around.
    edited August 2017
    Question since my game's acting up and I'm not sure where to find comparison material to see if it's the bugging or intentional:

Is the GR supposed to look like this?
    yne6q05cx5k6.jpg
    uqttbr5mxn98.jpg

Because other than that it looks awful, this is the kind of garish that literally makes me ill (I'm hypersensitive to light). I had a pretty heavy reaction to it and am currently semi-avoiding that area of the GR/the GR in general. But it isn't that bad in the "earlier" parts of the GR (better saturation/brightness interaction) and with an area underneath the arch consistently not loading (I'm having a lot of trouble with areas not loading, but that's the only one that never loads) I'm wondering if perhaps something's bugging that causes this atrocious display.

All the same, though, can't say the day look looks good anywhere (that I've so far been). Night look is fine, but day look is ridiculous (the surrounding biomes are darker!) and the music now is inappropriate to the atmosphere.
    edited August 2017
    That ground lighting seems like either a glitch or something with the old fog that they didn't update for the new fog, similar to how the biome still uses the old purple reflections.
    It should look about the same as the Sea Treader's Path does during the day.