Has anyone done Hardcore Mode?

VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
How many of you have completed the game (as much as possible) on hardcore? Has anyone done a speedrun?

I'm doing a run on hardcore right now in experimental, but I don't even have the seamoth yet.

Comments

• ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Yea it's veery hard :neutral:
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I haven't, but I plan to do one as soon as 1.0 hits.
  • ToriessianToriessian United States Join Date: 2017-07-12 Member: 231779Members
    I'm going to try hardcore on the next stable release assuming VR is working decently.
  • VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
    I've seen 3 reapers so far and somehow survived all three encounters. I've been very, very careful though. If I have 45 seconds of oxygen? SWIM TO THE SURFACE!!!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    While its relatively easy to survive the first few hours of a playthru, it gets more and more complicated when you start deep diving. More and more variables enters the survival equation in the form of more aggressive predators like the warpers and the bigger Leviathans, on top of managing air capacity and not getting **** lost swimming back to the seamoth in time (specially in the dark.

Hardest part, to my experience, is when you get to the Lost river and the deeper Lava zones, everything is very set to kill you deaded fer gewd! :sweat:
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    For me, the hardest part about playing hard-core mode involves:

1. Where did I park my Seamoth? Did the island really just eat my Seamoth?
    2. I'm driving along in my Seamoth when a wreck forms around the Seamoth.
    3. I'm driving along in my Seamoth when BAM the thus far invisible terrain forms around me, and I crash into a mushroom.
    4. I'm driving along in my Seamoth when suddenly all the titanium deposits look as big a sky scrapers.
    5. Walking around the Gun island, I fall through the world
    6. etc, etc. etc

If you can beat the game on Hard Core, that's quite the achievement. :)
  • WillemVWillemV Dallas, TX Join Date: 2017-05-24 Member: 230737Members
    Haven't done hard core, but in one game I am 3 days of play time in, have a base near the lava castle, battled it out with a Seadragon, and have so far not died at all. This is a fluke, though, as my greatest weakness is paying attention to my oxygen, which you won't get warnings for in hard core.

I started a new game two days ago and was apparently too close to the Aurora when it blew, and died instantly. So there are plenty of surprises wherever you go. :)
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I'm doing one right now in stable, but I'm about as far as the OP... can't build the seamoth quite yet. I kinda thought it wasn't supposed to give me oxygen warnings but it does part of the time at least.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    AlcoholicPhoenixz did a Hardcore run in his Subnautica Season 4 Let's Play
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    AlcoholicPhoenixz did a Hardcore run in his Subnautica Season 4 Let's Play

Thanks! Just subscribed to his channel. Look forward to watching his videos on my, erm, lunch hour. :)

• NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I did a playthrough of it a while ago. Its not much harder than normal subnautica the main difficulty is not being able to abuse saving (even though I didn't do that anyway cause im not a cheap player) and making sure your not stupid.
  • leenpowellleenpowell Join Date: 2017-07-19 Member: 231926Members
    I was pretty far into a hardcore game last week, had a Seamoth and a Cyclops and I ended up drowning in a wreckage that I got lost in :( a very unceremonious and disappointing way to lose all that progress haha. It really adds some excitement to each mission knowing that you could lose everything with a small mistake (or glitch).
  • BobtheBogglerBobtheBoggler Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232049Members
    After finding out how little you get punished for dying in survival, I started only playing in Hardcore mode. I only ever made it to the (then unfinished) PCF once, and ended up losing my PRAWN suit in the process.

kill counts:
    Game updates: 2
    Hardware failure: 1
    Stacking wreck FPS drop: 3
    Boneshark by the floating islands wreck: 1

Honorable mentions:
    ALZ Sea Dragon who broke the PRAWN suit
    Lava Lizard who chased me to the PCF door
    Boneshark who followed me into a Bulb zone cave and ate my seamoth
    Reefback whose Brain Coral let me escape the bulb zone w/o seamoth or seaglide

• dork42dork42 Michigan Join Date: 2017-03-30 Member: 229307Members
    I had a great hardcore run where i made it to the alien thermal plant through the lost river and got killed when the big nasty bugger threw my cyclops at me.

I've got most of it posted somewhere...
    I have great respect for anyone who wants to play any game in hard core. Me, I play in Survival and *still* use cheat commands when I misplace my knife or other items I *know* have someplace but just can't locate at the time. I do the same thing playing Mine Craft. Heck, I even cheat playing Tic Tac To. :)
  • MasterBurteMasterBurte Germany Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232073Members
    I tried hardcore at my very first run in subnautica. I died pretty fast because of thirst. Hunger and thirst are the most anoying things in this game. I'm ok with having to eat and trink but not at this rate. I went inside the aurora with more than half of the food and water bar filled. I didn't make it out before starving to dead... Ridiciulus...

I hope there will come a mod that slows done the ingame time and the character consumption. I would be ok if i have to pay more for building stuff in return. Let's say 200 titan for a base module instead of just 2.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    I tried hardcore at my very first run in subnautica. I died pretty fast because of thirst. Hunger and thirst are the most anoying things in this game. I'm ok with having to eat and trink but not at this rate. I went inside the aurora with more than half of the food and water bar filled. I didn't make it out before starving to dead... Ridiciulus...

I hope there will come a mod that slows done the ingame time and the character consumption. I would be ok if i have to pay more for building stuff in return. Let's say 200 titan for a base module instead of just 2.

Didn't make it to the area upstairs of the Prawn Room, then? There's plenty of water and nutrient blocks up there. (These days, there are so many nutrient blocks in-game that I question my decision to stock an Alien Containment full of Reginalds...)

I'm pretty sure you can already slow down the ingame clock with console commands. It's something like "Speed 0.5" to go half as fast. You do have to reapply it every time you start up the game again, though.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members

I'm pretty sure you can already slow down the ingame clock with console commands. It's something like "Speed 0.5" to go half as fast. You do have to reapply it every time you start up the game again, though.

That makes everything (including player movements) change by the number. 0.5 will make everything go 1/2 as fast.

That makes everything (including player movements) change by the number. 0.5 will make everything go 1/2 as fast.

Ah, I must have been thinking of the day/night speed setting or something then.
    Probably not something that will be fiddled with until mods come around... It's been an issue for a long time (year's worth of updates) so its either something the devs want to keep as is or is just a very low priority. On the plus side, if its the latter the fiddles will be coming soon as we're getting to the polish updates.

Personally, I'm fine with the rates. I'm never caught out of position in regards to food and water. This goes for survival but especially so in hardcore: ALWAYS BRING SUPPLIES. I haven't had any objective thus far that two cured peepers and two water bottles (the bleach made ones) hasn't let me accomplish without cutting it close. Plan your expeditions, if you aren't sure how much you'll need, double the usual amount and double back when you get down to half if you aren't close to your objective. If you're building a foreward base, bring enough food and water to stock a locker full of them for future use. Plan ahead, you won't get a second chance in hardcore.

• Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Probably not something that will be fiddled with until mods come around... It's been an issue for a long time (year's worth of updates) so its either something the devs want to keep as is or is just a very low priority. On the plus side, if its the latter the fiddles will be coming soon as we're getting to the polish updates.

Personally, I'm fine with the rates. I'm never caught out of position in regards to food and water. This goes for survival but especially so in hardcore: ALWAYS BRING SUPPLIES. I haven't had any objective thus far that two cured peepers and two water bottles (the bleach made ones) hasn't let me accomplish without cutting it close. Plan your expeditions, if you aren't sure how much you'll need, double the usual amount and double back when you get down to half if you aren't close to your objective. If you're building a foreward base, bring enough food and water to stock a locker full of them for future use. Plan ahead, you won't get a second chance in hardcore.

Just a tip, Reginalds give +40 food when cured.
    edited July 2017
    Just a tip, Reginalds give +40 food when cured.

Yep! I appreciate the tip. :smiley:

I just went out and got a locker full of peepers early so by the time I made it to areas where reginalds were plentiful I still had 10 cured peepers there and was hording salt to make bleach then water with. (self imposed rule against putting live fish in lockers, mostly)
  • Moby1Moby1 Uk Join Date: 2017-07-14 Member: 231831Members
    Will try when it crashes less