Subnautica Map (Navigation)

2»

Comments

• omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
    how about to add a map with 2 crafts? first you will make a compass ( less is nothing ) we know that real compasses are made by a magnetic needle, and we have Magnetite ores, then you can upgrade evolving it to some tipe of GPS. Using CPU and advanced cable kit or... else?

of course you have to draw the map by exploring.

• ROBOCOPMAXROBOCOPMAX Frechen, DE Join Date: 2015-12-29 Member: 210544Members
    How about a GPS-tracked scanner or a link to the seamoth radar?
    Only the with theese gadgets explored areas will show up on an geomap.
    Of cause, for the GPS scaner, you first would have to find the blueprint.
  • bwoodfieldbwoodfield Canada Join Date: 2016-03-08 Member: 214017Members
    My 2 cents worth.. we have this technology already. Side scan radar is common on exploration boats. Even the common man has it available as fish finders. The SeaGlide has this already it's just not being recorded.
  • DefenderX1DefenderX1 Join Date: 2017-07-23 Member: 231990Members
    Sorry to necro this thread but I think it needs to be talked about again. The technology exists today, let alone in the future where we're charting space. Also, I think it would inspire more exploration and crafting by allowing it to be a created, upgradable map that fills in biome-by-biome. The idea of it filling in with a small radius around the place is ridiculous. The player would never be able to get a decently usable map at that rate. If not full biome reveal, how about something like that map room where it'd ping for 500m radious?

Hell, here's an idea, have the map room be the basis for the maps creation! It's already in the game. We'd just have to have some integration with the scanner rooms built throughout the game world. I LOVE building multiple bases. One of my saves has at least 5 map rooms. I'd love to use that and the camera drones to map the game world. It'd make those drones rather useful! In addition to the map It'd be awesome to integrate the map, beacons and perhaps custom waypoints/notes so we could just make notes on our maps for ourselves like any good sailor/explorer would.
  • FirstEdFirstEd New Mexico Join Date: 2017-06-25 Member: 231340Members
    I would like the scanner room to enable mapping of some kind that is useable from the PDA once it's constructed. Otherwise, I've stopped building the scanner room.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I made a similar thread about this a few months ago. I'm in complete agreement that the game needs a mapping system.

I would be in favor of a two part mapping system. The first part is a basic 2D topographic map. This map starts out showing only the lifepod and the Aurora, but is filled in as the player explores. To gather topographic data, the player needs to get within a given distance of the sea floor.

Later in the game, the player could craft a suit upgrade that provides a full rotatable/zoomable 3D map. This map is populated by building scanner rooms, using camera drones, and using sonar on the subs. This data also fills in any gaps in the 2D map as well.

Finally, all active scanner rooms provide "radar" coverage in their area of effect and show creatures in the area along with resources and POIs. This data appears on the maps once the appropriate upgrade has been crafted. Additionally, there should be a craftable short-range creature detector available for the suit that shows creatures in the immediate vicinity of the player, similar to how the Cyclops does.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    The mapping feature is coming but after 1.0 look at the roadmap under maybe after 1.0 column
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Heh, didn't notice this was an old poll. Should be interesting to see any new voices chiming in now that it's been bumped.
  • jiveturkeyjiveturkey Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228424Members
    Reposted from reddit:

The best way to implement it would be with the scanner rooms. Allow them to network with one another and allow them to switch from a narrow, local view, and the networked top down view that more resembles the maps we're used to, with depth indicators. It isn't meant to be a terribly intricate map, just showing where things are in relation to one another. Maybe give the "network" view a 1 km radius? Show crash sites and other "anomalies". It would give a little more purpose to making little refueling stations, and give the scanner rooms a little more to do.
  • jiveturkeyjiveturkey Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228424Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Heh, didn't notice this was an old poll. Should be interesting to see any new voices chiming in now that it's been bumped.

A map that the player actively builds not only leads to a sense of progression but gives you an old-school explorer feel!
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    The devs have basically said no maps outside of the scanner room
  • kwm1800kwm1800 Join Date: 2017-06-25 Member: 231353Members
    I am actually surprised that people want full 3D map, and it's majority opinion.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    kwm1800 wrote: »
    I am actually surprised that people want full 3D map, and it's majority opinion.

For me at least, the reason I would want a full 3D map (in addition to a 2D topographic/depth map) is for navigating and visualizing caves. A lot of other 6DOF freedom games (like Descent and Retrovirus) have these types of maps because it is extremely easy to get turned around and lost in a 3D cave system. Even in real life they're starting to build 3D models of caves to aid in exploration.
  • shthouseratshthouserat United States Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232055Members
    i think the data collected by the scanner room should be be saved onto a blank map that you can keep adding onto by building more scanner rooms(or just keep rebuilding the same one in different places) and collecting the data. maybe more upgrades to give the scanner room more reach.
    a full 3d map would be ideal, like the tabletop map in the scanner room, but with better look/detail, that things kinda hard to read...
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Having a map would be very nice to have. Subnautica biomes are everywhere, and it can be very hard to find things that spawn in certain biomes.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    In a fit of broody pique I voted for no map, but... it was a mistake. I somehow foolishly assumed that full map available right from the start was the only option. Proves I should not go on the Internet without my morning coffee.

Now I'm thinking about a mapping tool, discovered at a later point in the game when a map would really become useful. A tool that would have us swim around scanning the terrain and building a 3d map to display somewhere, be it the cyclops or a dedicated new room in our base. Yes, that would be ideal in my opinion. Pity we can't edit our votes.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Posted a link to this thread on /r/subnautica , I guess some there don't have accounts here and responded there instead of voting here. link to thread.
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    ⚠️WARNING⚠️
    Life is short. This post however, is long.
    =================================================

=================================================
    I like the full 3D map idea allowing me to pan and zoom arround terrain. Pices of the map should fill in as you swim arround biomes which should have distinctive border lines. Points of Interest should be marked. POI like precursor bases should have terminals giving you a access to base schematics and filling out the base on the 3D map. The Aurora wouldn't need interior schematics added to the map. That would just be a nightmare to model! The explanation is that the radiation is interfering with the map and that the area has be rendered polluted so the map will never work on board Aurora due to permanent residual radiation levels being to high. The map shouldn't be an easy thing to unlock and should either take up one of the technology slots on the HUD, or be an item to put in the hotbar. My idea for the map would be something you find in a precursor base (giving it an ancient tech feel where the terrain is like dots on a grid) or on the Aurora/Deep Wreck (giving it a smooth futuristic fell where terrain has a tint allowing you to see that it's there, but also allowing you to see through it). I personally enjoy the Precursor concept for the map. The only questing left is how to implement it in the PDA. Adding an extra tab would only squish the PDA's layout even more. One thought would be to simply use the "M" key. The biggest question about the map is how to implement it. In the case it was a tech slot the map would be diplayed using the AEP suit's built in HUD. In the case it was an item in the hotbar the player would pull out some sort of hand held device that the player lifts up creating a hologram. The precursor design (for the use animation) is two precursor-metal squares lifting up and levitating after you press a button on the top one, creating a map 3D map in between each other. The area used for the animation would be part of the safe shallows or whatever terrain chunk is easiest to use. The Alterra version is a small white square with a blue projector on the top. The player will use a gray button to activate it, causing the projector to glow and the terrainn chunk to be visible before you enter the map display. I think that covers everything! Congrats on enduring this entire post. Keep in mind this is a shortened version. The original was double this size so I hade to rewrite it. This is still so long I was to lazy to spellcheck so there are mistakes.
  • Badjer_FiSTBadjer_FiST West Texas Join Date: 2017-07-28 Member: 232111Members
    How about an equip able mapper that records a 2d and 3d map as you explore. It shows not record while unequipped, but works similar to the map in minecraft for the 2d, and through the pda for the 3d.
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    I voted for the full 3D map as well. It's just common sense to me. Mapping things is what humans have done for thousands of years. It's absurd to think we'd forget about maps in some distant future. But I don't think the map should be magical. It would be built up from data collected as you explored. If you never dove deep you'd never get a map of the floor. I'd go with the previous suggestion of varying ranges for different mapping devices. And all the cartography gadgets would be upgrade modules you'd have to equip like the other modules.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I just want a map I can reference when I'm travelling around the world, instead of relying on a 3rd-party website just to get my bearings. :frowning:

2D or 3D, fully-available or must unlock as you travel... just give us a map please! :bawling:
  • DefenderX1DefenderX1 Join Date: 2017-07-23 Member: 231990Members
    edited July 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I just want a map I can reference when I'm travelling around the world, instead of relying on a 3rd-party website just to get my bearings. :frowning:

2D or 3D, fully-available or must unlock as you travel... just give us a map please! :bawling:

This, wholeheartedly. Not all of us have a photographic memory. What's the point of exploration if you can't record what you've explored? Without a map it's not exploring, it's blindly wandering through the world in the hope of finding something useful.
  • antancaantanca Join Date: 2017-11-06 Member: 233862Members
    I understand some people's objection to a map but I think it really makes sense to have one. I can see it working one of two ways:

1. a map that automatically updates as you discover more areas or
    2. a map that you have to manually add features to yourself as you discover them

I think the second one is a nice compromise for people who think that an automatic map would make the game too easy. But I do feel strongly that the game should have SOME kind of map. Like I said, it makes sense to have one. You have devices that fabricate materials out of other basic materials, but you don't have a means of mapping your surroundings? Ok, obviously it's a game and things don't have to make sense on that level, but if you're in a survival situation (as you are in this game) and have to find different resources, making a map would be one of the first things you would do.

The beacons are certainly useful for creating key locations but once you have a bunch of them it gets rather cluttered looking at your HUD. Yes, you can turn specific ones off, but I think it would just make for a better gameplay experience if you could unlock a blueprint for a mapping device where you could either manually or automatically plot biome locations and certain key things like wrecks, arches, caves, etc.
  • XzanronXzanron Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225299Members
    Full 3D map. But it needs to grow as you explore; so it' hidden until you uncover it.

Finding items, should stay in the scanner room. But I think a scanner room type map, that can be panned/zoomed on the PDA would be great. I'm not even sure biomes are needed, but player position and beacons are a must.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Ultimate Underworld: The Stygian Abyss from 1992 has an autogenerated dungeon passage outline map on which the player could write their own notes. It was vital to figuring things out and that multilevel dungeon wasn't as complex as this slice of 4546B. I really think the map will be needed for many players to avoid frustration.