Less LavaLeeches, please.

5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members
My god..The Leaches are worse than the damn Lizards! I thought I'd be crafty and make me 6 Ion cells and carry a few regulars as a backup and it should make me to the Primary Containment Facility and back out. I made a few pitstops to clear them off, deal with the lizards and dodge warpers, but it seemed like every 10 minutes of travel netted me 10+ little suckers. Anyone else deal with numbers in that excess in such a short time?

Comments

• 5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members
    edited July 2017
    They drain the SHIT out of Ion cells. A few of 'em (3-4) will give you noticeable power drain on Ion cells at medium speed. 8-15 will cause the power to drop faster than a wedding dress after the reception and it doesn't take very long to acquire 8-15. Which means there is a LOT of moving a few cyclops lengths, getting out and dealing with the bastards, fighting warpers and lizards, getting back in, moving a few more lengths and repeating process. It's really tedious.
    I dunno, maybe my game was bugged and I just had an over-abundance of them spawning in the lava zone.
  • SilentmanSilentman Bratislava, Slovakia Join Date: 2017-06-05 Member: 230963Members
    edited July 2017
    I thought that some fish eat them if you get the cyclops near them but I might be mistaken.
    I'm not at that part of the game yet.

Edit: Apparently Lava lizards eat them when they are on your viechle says the wiki.
  • leenpowellleenpowell Join Date: 2017-07-19 Member: 231926Members
    I made it to the primary containment on 12 regular cells with power to spare. They're annoying but blasting the shield knocks them off, costing tons of energy for sure but better than a constant drain.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    Maybe they would be more tolerable if they detached on their own after draining only a few units of energy?
    Silentman wrote: »
    I thought that some fish eat them if you get the cyclops near them but I might be mistaken.
    I'm not at that part of the game yet.

Edit: Apparently Lava lizards eat them when they are on your viechle says the wiki.

I didn't notice that or at least it didn't seem they were helping. It just felt like my Cyclops had a giant neon sign that read "All you can heat, compliments of Gordon Ramsey" on top of it.
    leenpowell wrote: »
    I made it to the primary containment on 12 regular cells with power to spare. They're annoying but blasting the shield knocks them off, costing tons of energy for sure but better than a constant drain.
    Oh! I didn't know that could happen. I just thought the shield upgrade gave you more shields. Damn.
    Maybe they would be more tolerable if they detached on their own after draining only a few units of energy?
    Maybe have them die or just not be able to latch for a minute afterward?
    Either way this would make life MUCH easier to deal with.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    I always remove most of the power cells when not traveling I'm the LR. This lowers the drain rate. Not my idea
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    The last couple of times I've been there, I've ended up leaving my Cyclops just at the border of the ALZ, right where the last blue waterfall pool is*. If you park it far enough back, the leeches won't go all the way to it. At that point I jump in my Prawn and hoof it the rest of the way. If I get leeches I get out and stab them until they go away. That method has worked pretty well for me.

*I also build a small base there with a Moonpool so that I can mine Kyanite and build the thermal power plant and jump jet upgrades for the Prawn right there. Remembering to bring all the necessary materials, and extra titanium, is the biggest challenge with that, but it's better than having to go all the way back to my main base.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    You can use the thermal reactor upgrade for the cyclops to counter their constant energy draining I just put energy efficiency and the thermal reactor and I'm good to go
  • DiodonDiodon United States Join Date: 2017-07-24 Member: 232016Members
    I've been swimming out and using the stasis rifle on them so I can get enough knife shots in to kill them before they flee (not sure if they respawn, but maybe they can be thinned out). That plus the thermal reactor to assure I always have a way to recover charge. I just take it as part of the challenge (and yea, annoyance) of traveling somewhere so hostile.
  • NorthernBruceNorthernBruce Canada Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231544Members
    In addition to the thermal reactor upgrade. Bring along two or three gravspheres. Set them up nose and tail outside of the Cyclops. They'll pull those wretched larva off of the Cyclops and save your power cells. This works really well!
    In addition to the thermal reactor upgrade. Bring along two or three gravspheres. Set them up nose and tail outside of the Cyclops. They'll pull those wretched larva off of the Cyclops and save your power cells. This works really well!
    Wait they work on those little bastards?!
  • NorthernBruceNorthernBruce Canada Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231544Members
    Its very effective!
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    If only you could attach the gravsphere to a pole on the Cyclops, so you can just have it running while you drive.
    I'll make 6, or 60... As long as every area of the damn thing is protected against those bastards.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    It sounds like the new shield implementation should help a lot with these. Especially if you have the thermal generator. Just toggle it on/off occasionally to kick things off the hull when too many build up, and let the generator deal with the drain otherwise.