'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    Whaaaaaat... WHAAAAAAAT..!
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Interesting. Normally, this would be a negative evolutionary behavior, as it would make who gets to reproduce almost random. I would guess that the fertilization chance is very low, meaning that most of the males in the swarm will not sire any offspring, but the ones with greater agility and stamina will successful couple a greater number of times, giving them greater odds of fathering offspring and thus passing on their positive genes.

I still don't like the cutefish though, conceptually or in terms of it's model.
    edited July 2017
    Ok, @sayerulz , I have a question for you: Do you like Borealis Rising? If yes, then that's great! Just, please stop critiquing little details like reproduction among alien species or Bugzapper's writing style. He's sarcastic and snarkey at times, and that's fine! But if you DON'T like Borealis Rising, well then, what are you doing here?!
    Alright, that's all. Carry on, Bugzapper!
    Ok, @sayerulz , I have a question for you: Do you like Borealis Rising? If yes, then that's great! Just, please stop critiquing little details like reproduction among alien species or Bugzapper's writing style. He's sarcastic and snarkey at times, and that's fine! But if you DON'T like Borealis Rising, well then, what are you doing here?!

How was that a critique? It was an analysis.
    edited July 2017
    You didn't answer the question. I'm sure we all want to know. Do you like Borealis Rising, or not?
    As for earlier, it just sounded a bit judgy (Yes I am using improper grammer here.) in my opinion, and I would like to not see that on a story someone is working very hard on. Plus, I just don't like conflict.
    (Ps: Bug, there's a small spelling error in the last sentence of your latest post. You spelled dryly with an i as the first y.)
    You didn't answer the question. I'm sure we all want to know. Do you like Borealis Rising, or not?
    As for earlier, it just sounded a bit judgy (Yes I am using improper grammer here.) in my opinion, and I would like to not see that on a story someone is working very hard on. Plus, I just don't like conflict.
    (Ps: Bug, there's a small spelling error in the last sentence of your latest post. You spelled dryly with an i as the first y.)

Well, I've liked some parts. Others less so. I think that Auror Falls was better. I continue reading in hopes that it will improve. Obviously me trying to give advice, constructive criticizim, or even just commenting my analysis of what something in the story might mean is not appreciated, but I don't feel it's fair to ostracize me or treat everything I say as a personal insult to the author.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited July 2017
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Interesting. Normally, this would be a negative evolutionary behavior, as it would make who gets to reproduce almost random. I would guess that the fertilization chance is very low, meaning that most of the males in the swarm will not sire any offspring, but the ones with greater agility and stamina will successful couple a greater number of times, giving them greater odds of fathering offspring and thus passing on their positive genes.

I still don't like the cutefish though, conceptually or in terms of it's model.

I didn't read any negativity in that comment at all. And I was even looking for it, so... relax. This could have been an opportunity for Bugzapper and sayerulz to actually have a decent non-confrontational discussion, but it's got a cloud over it now, please don't attach weights to lines thrown in troubled waters. Obviously Bugs and sayerulz have a hard enough time getting along without any additional testiness added.

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members

The only thing he said he didn't like was the cutefish's concept and model, which is a criticism at Subnautica and not Bugzapper.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

The only thing he said he didn't like was the cutefish's concept and model, which is a criticism at Subnautica and not Bugzapper.

Not even, it's only criticism of a specific, non-central part of Subnautica.
  • SadPandaaSadPandaa United States Join Date: 2017-07-13 Member: 231807Members
    What a disappointment.....

I thought I had waited long enough before starting to read this thread, assuming it was finished lol. I am one of those people that has to wait for a TV series to finish so I can watch it all at once, waiting a week for an episode is my hell.

Bug you remind me a lot of a writer named Morgan Rice. I never read a book in my life until google play had a free day, got one of her books because it was free and ended up reading like 12 of them in the series after getting hooked. At about book 9 I had caught up to the releases and had to wait months at a time, torture.
  • SadPandaaSadPandaa United States Join Date: 2017-07-13 Member: 231807Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Captain Halvorsen particularly enjoyed JUNO's catchy version of 'Dumb Ways To Die'

This would be epic to see lol.

Ride a Reaper because you really want to

Challenge accepted.
  • fangfatherhunterfangfatherhunter england Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216369Members
    ugyomxge42sz.jpg
    because you really want to
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Ride a Reaper because you really want to

Check.
    Obscure Flagship Eclipse reference is obscure
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Oy, pampa! Du tumang and pomang copeng now, ke?

(i am so sorry i have been reading too much expanse lately forgive my shitty attempt at belter)
  • CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    I'd probably be even worse.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Oy, pampa! Du tumang and pomang copeng now, ke?

"To ta ge im! Detim imim finyish du wa ting, im ye fo sémpere."

("You got it! Once a thing is made, it is forever.")

Mack is speaking in a variant of Louisiana Cajun patois.
    Liberally sprinkled with French words, although I'm trying to keep his dialogue intelligible without losing too much of that Cajun flavour in the process.

Expanse Belter (Lang Belta) is a mite trickier to understand, since most of the words have deformed considerably over time.
    At first, I thought Lang Belta was based on Tagalog, but it's actually closer to Pidgin English. Interesting.

My Belters usually speak a general mish-mosh of European and Asian languages, held together with a rickety frame of Standard Anglic.
    (With an occasional helping hand from Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe) :)
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    ...I hate to be that guy, as he's made an appearance far too often in this thread, but as a native New Orleanian, I gotta. Po-boys originated in New Orleans, which is not Cajun country! There's a difference between Creole and Cajun. Furthermore, the bread is not technically a baguette; it's like a baguette, but French Bread from NOLA is different, and it doesn't travel well (owing either to the year-round near 100% humidity, depth below sea level, or the combination of the two).

I'm not gonna get into the difference between "dressed" and "Whatevah de hell y'all wants," except to say that one is traditional.

Having said all that: the average reader in an international audience would not know any of this. But having grown up in the city, this jerked me right out of the story.

I apologize for having been that guy because I really am enjoying the story.
    @baronvonsatan Fair comment. As an Aussie, I may have made certain assumptions and some concessions to our International readers.
    This may require a small suspension of disbelief, since I haven't revealed what parish Mack is originally from. He can still enjoy a Po'Boy, though.
    And yes, it will be dressed in the traditional manner. :)
    edited July 2017
    I have to admit, Mack's passionate description of these sandwiches also gave me a mad case of the hungers. There's nothing particularly fancy about these sandwiches, although Mack assures me that everything depends on a harmonious assembly of specific traditional ingredients. Pure comfort food, by the sound of it. The autogalley pondered long and hard over the selections I'd made, then began constructing its first two prototypes of the legendary New Orleans Po'Boy sandwich.

When the autogalley chimed to announce it had completed its cycle, Mack solemnly removed the platter and cast a critical eye over the towering pair of overstuffed French rolls. One contained beef. The other, a generous serve of lightly breaded fried shrimp. My moment of truth is at hand.

Mack nodded curtly. "Y'all got the bread right. Thin, crispy crust outside, all sof' inside. Dressin's look good too. Got de mayo, sliced tomato, lettuce, pickles and gravy laid in de raht orda, an' ah kin smell un p'tit hot sauce. So far, so good, mon ami. Yo' boeuf debris looks and smells fahn. Ain't some kin' a sloppy, ovah-boilt mess a body wouldn't put in tacos. Trés bon... Now fo' de real test."

I watched with polite interest as Mack skilfully worked his way though this precarious mass of bread, meat and condiments. His serious expression gave nothing away, and I felt it grossly impolite to ask what he thought of the meal so far. I returned to the autogalley and punched up a duplicate serve for myself, adding two tall glasses of iced lantern fruit juice. I returned to the table and placed one of the glasses alongside Mack's plate before sitting down. He nodded gratefully, pausing to take a small sip of the juice. This time, his inscrutable expression slipped, albeit briefly. Clearly, our local jungle-juice was something that his palate hadn't quite expected.
    Score one to me.

"Mais, that's some damn tasty stuff raht dere... Qu' Est-ce que c'est?"

"It's called lantern fruit, one of this planet's more enjoyable delicacies. Its taste reminds me of kiwifruit, but there's a hint of mango in there as well. Took a gamble, thought you might like it."

As I was about to take my first bite, Héloise sauntered in. Mack goggled in alarm, hurriedly mopping his gravy-smeared lips with a napkin, while attempting to stand up at the same time. Fortunately, he was able to accomplish this feat with a fair degree of panache. Héloise smiled sweetly, obviously flattered by Mack's charming display of gallantry, accepting his compliment with good grace.

"Ah, there you are, my Captain." Héloise said briskly. "Khorosho. After you've introduced me to your bon ami, you can help get this place set up. Our guests will be arriving any minute now."

Upon hearing this, Mack practically braced to attention. "Maxim Philippe Beaudine... À votre service, mam'selle. Since it's mah fault dey's a mess in heah, ah'll lend a hand also."

"I like this one, Chérie. Can we keep him?" Héloise giggled.

Reluctantly, I took a quick bite from each of my Po'Boys and fed them into the galley's recycling chute. Mack appears to be made of sterner material, resolutely hanging onto his shrimp sandwich with one hand and re-arranging furniture with the other. Didn't spill a single crumb of it, either.

Halfway back to Skull Island, Mack finally delivered his verdict. As expected, he was brutally honest.

"Le'mme see... De beef was damn fahn. She an 8 or 8.5, easy. Dose swimps was a tad rubbery, but dey still good an' spicy. Ah gives yo' a straight-up seven." Picking up on my obvious disappointment, he added, "If dat soun's too harsh, y'all 'member mah Carl Sagan salad was a lousy One."