Will the Carar effectively kill you?

RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
When the whole concept of the character being infected with this extremely aggressive bacteria was implemented in the game i was under the impression that if not cured in time it would eventually take its toll and kill you in the long run, were the player not fast enough to get the cure in time. I've played lots and lots of games since then, many of them i survived well over 100 days and never did the carar killed me outright. I know for a fact that somewhere in the game it is specified that the Carar usually kills anyone infected within something like 2-3 weeks at most after the initial infection.

Now i know the game is still in development but we're nearing the end of new content implementation and this question is still to this day unanswered so i decided to ask out if anyone in the community had found an answer to this one. Ive searched on the web but did'nt find any so far ....

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I think it's more of a story effect. While it progresses and affects you, it will be kept at bay by the Hero Peepers just long enough for you to go through the story for a cure.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Honestly, for a "super aggressive space bacteria", the Carar is not having much of an effect on the player. I know for a fact that there are any number of common earth bacteria that would have our character, if not dead, certainly unable to just swim around without a care in the world in a matter of days.

I am glad though that they didn't make it a virus, as anyone who knows the first thing about viruses and immune responses would know that an alien virus would be completely unable to affect a human, any more than a computer virus could.
  • FirstEdFirstEd New Mexico Join Date: 2017-06-25 Member: 231340Members
    So there's a really good reason why the player is able to survive despite being infected, and, I have to say, I really like the fact that the game designers went through the trouble to explain it.

However, telling you why that is is kind of a major spoiler. But, if you want to know...
    Despite being caged in the Primary Containment Facility, the Sea Emperor is capable of creating an enzyme that can keep carar at bay. The enzyme is distributed from the Primary Containment Facility to the surrounding area via peepers that travel through a pipe system. This is the reason why carar hasn't completely eradicated all life on the planet; the Sea Emperor is single handedly fighting off the bacteria as best it can.

Every time the player consumes a peeper, they consume a dose of enzymes that counteracts the carar bacteria. Since peepers are the base of a food chain, it's reasonable to assume that many surface creatures also carry trace amounts of the enzyme.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Perhaps Carar should have an effect on the player's stats as it progresses in order to make the player more driven to cure themselves. Maybe the food/water bars could drop quicker or the player will begin to move slower
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Perhaps Carar should have an effect on the player's stats as it progresses in order to make the player more driven to cure themselves. Maybe the food/water bars could drop quicker or the player will begin to move slower

What if you are playing on freedom mode? And if the player moves slower, once people get the Seaglide, and the 3 other vehicles they won't really need to swim anymore. And a permanent slow walk/run/swim would suck.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members

What if you are playing on freedom mode? And if the player moves slower, once people get the Seaglide, and the 3 other vehicles they won't really need to swim anymore. And a permanent slow walk/run/swim would suck.

I literally seaglide almost everywhere now anyway. Once you have the battery charger, there's no problem with it.
    Maybe not a slow speed actually. That would suck