Food balancing

Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
Currently I feel marble melons are OP compared to Chinese potatoes. To balance this, I suggest-
1. Change Number of Chinese Potatoes in a pot to 4
2. Set Marble Melon stats to +15 food/+20 water
3. Set Chinese Potato Stats to +30 food/+5 water

This would give both plants a purpose. Now you eat Chinese potato when you mainly need food, and marble melon when you need food and water.

Comments

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited July 2017
    Also let's not forget that Nutrient Block gives an absurd amount of food relative to the size it is. Yes, it's processed food and yes it's designed to be a "high food content" but they are simply too strong. The strongest food players can make is Cooked/Cured Reginald at +44 Food, and its model is double the size of the Nutrient Block model. Then there's the logic part of the equation: a Nutrient Block equivalent in real life would likely be a granola bar, which they can be healthy but quite honestly they are not very filling.

That's why I don't understand why players keep asking for a NB maker or a food processor; the only way I would get behind it is if the NB food value was reduced to +25 Food. Current NBs are great for the early game, but if they become abundant or easy to get, then it ruins the need to forage for food... and it also makes the Alien Containment both redundant and useless. :pensive:

But more to OP's post, there needs to be more diversity to food. There's so many choices which is fine for the early game, but by the time we're using the Cyclops we have to use the Aquarium or Indoor Growbed. The Aquarium is basically a glorified Locker (fish don't repopulate) and the Growbed only uses land-based food. Lantern Fruit give a paltry +4/+5 value, and Marblemelons (arguably similar to a Cantaloupe) gives more Food than Water. As such I have to rely on MM to give Food, and Bulbo Plant Samples for Water. Koosh Samples are great for Water but they can't be grown indoors.

I feel that Food/Water values should have a higher variance between each individual item, so it would promote more realism in the game and makes foraging more necessary. Not to mention every Reginald or Marblemelon shouldn't be a carbon-clone of each other, as not every raw food item in real life gives the same nutrition values. :pensive:
  • leenpowellleenpowell Join Date: 2017-07-19 Member: 231926Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Also let's not forget that Nutrient Block gives an absurd amount of food relative to the size it is. Yes, it's processed food and yes it's designed to be a "high food content" but they are simply too strong. The strongest food players can make is Cooked/Cured Reginald at +44 Food, and its model is double the size of the Nutrient Block model. Then there's the logic part of the equation: a Nutrient Block equivalent in real life would likely be a granola bar, which they can be healthy but quite honestly they are not very filling.

That's why I don't understand why players keep asking for a NB maker or a food processor; the only way I would get behind it is if the NB food value was reduced to +25 Food. Current NBs are great for the early game, but if they become abundant or easy to get, then it ruins the need to forage for food... and it also makes the Alien Containment both redundant and useless. :pensive:

But more to OP's post, there needs to be more diversity to food. There's so many choices which is fine for the early game, but by the time we're using the Cyclops we have to use the Aquarium or Indoor Growbed. The Aquarium is basically a glorified Locker (fish don't repopulate) and the Growbed only uses land-based food. Lantern Fruit give a paltry +4/+5 value, and Marblemelons (arguably similar to a Cantaloupe) gives more Food than Water. As such I have to rely on MM to give Food, and Bulbo Plant Samples for Water. Koosh Samples are great for Water but they can't be grown indoors.

I feel that Food/Water values should have a higher variance between each individual item, so it would promote more realism in the game and makes foraging more necessary. Not to mention every Reginald or Marblemelon shouldn't be a carbon-clone of each other, as not every raw food item in real life gives the same nutrition values. :pensive:

I always thought of the NBs as more of an MRE or something so the 75 made sense to me.

I do agree that an NB processor would ruin the mechanic of hunger. Maybe the NBs that come out are smaller and only 25 like you say, that might be ok. But either way, you get to a point in the game, if you play smart, where food and water aren't really an issue anyway and it becomes more of a chore than a worrisome problem. I also think they should make some of the smaller fish inedible or poisoness.