Should Signals From The Comms. Relay Be Pings?

LazulazuLazulazu Join Date: 2016-11-18 Member: 224057Members
edited July 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
In my opinion there are to many signals aquired from the comms relay in the beggining of the game. I think they should just be pings in the ping menu, instead of items in the inventory. How many people agree with me?

Comments

• LazulazuLazulazu Join Date: 2016-11-18 Member: 224057Members
    edited July 2017
    UPDATE: Im aware that the signals are already pings in the menu, what im suggesting is that they should ONLY be pings in the menu, instead of also being items.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Omg yes, it is so annoying using up space with them and then misplacing them
  • 5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members
    On the upside: you have location of the lifepods when you need them.
    Downside: it will clutter your ping management UI. And that clutter is already full of manual beacons, lifepod5, the pings you want to keep, and your vehicles.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    5m4llP0X wrote: »
    Downside: it will clutter your ping management UI. And that clutter is already full of manual beacons, lifepod5, the pings you want to keep, and your vehicles.

There could also be a way to sort the pings
  • 5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members

There could also be a way to sort the pings
    You mean like grouping and hiding or expanding the group?
  • LaserFaceLaserFace USA Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221235Members
    Yes, they should be migrated over to permanent PDA data rather than equip items.

While we are at it, comm relay lifepod signals triggered by building stuff can be rather awkward, and at this time tie very important upgrades to unrelated optional objects (For example. crafting a bio reactor = lifepod with the closest repulsion gun databox in the game).

So switching crafting triggered signals to actiavate when you unlock a blueprint in the first place, rather than if you build or fabricate something. That would smooth out things quite a bit.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Signals should be pings, and the ping list should be split up in two tabbed lists (sorta like the databank): One for own signals and one for received signals (this includes the Sunbeam landing site signal). Nice and clean separation.
    plz notice this post devs.
  • Gamechanger3849Gamechanger3849 Flying an ARC-170 above Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-06-17 Member: 231153Members

You know you can turn those off
  • EstebanLB01EstebanLB01 Join Date: 2017-05-09 Member: 230377Members
    Totally, and the ping tab should have groups
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

You know you can turn those off

No, he means it will clutter the list of things to turn off (Ping Management tab in the PDA).
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    yes, they should be in the pda.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited July 2017
    I have long wished for this change! Between the compass being phased out (it's vehicles only instead of an Upgrade) and the possibility of the Thermometer being phased out (Trello notes indicate it will be automatically added to the UI at a point) then I heartily agree with Signals becoming internal, instead of currently being dead weight items. This in turn frees up Upgrade slots to become useful, such as adding Augmented Chips that give minor useful buffs that can be permanently kept, as a counterpoint to the stronger but temporary Transfusions.

Not only does it make sense for the PDA to record and save Signal locations internally - Alterra would likely want to retrieve their valuable IP for salvage and to keep other corporations from stealing their tech, you know. Some players mentioned wanting a way to track found and/or salvaged Lifepods; keeping pings active and turning them off once they're clean could help.

And then there's the issue that's been present from the beginning: losing Signals permanently. Recent changes have reduced the possibility of this happening, such as Signals mostly appearing from the Communications Array. But YES they can STILL be lost! Such occurences have happened to me:

1. Picking up a Signal in a Lifepod surrounded by Gasopods. Poison clouds permeate the base, I die from exposure after picking up the Signal - it's lost on respawn
    2. Examining the Engineering console that gives the Energy Pulse Source but dying to the Reaper Leviathan upon returning home - it's lost on respawn
    3. Getting Signals from the game while having a full inventory. I've lost the Aurora Rendezvous Point, Energy Pulse Source, and Thermal Plant Signals on various (but different) occasions, due to exploring and farming, then trigger a Signal - it's lost and the event flag is triggered, so kiss that Signal goodbye :(

TL;DR Please reduce our inventory woes and improve our UI experience! Not even Alterra would handle Signals so arbitrarily as we have them now! :cry:
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    They are A big waste of inventory
  • Gamechanger3849Gamechanger3849 Flying an ARC-170 above Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-06-17 Member: 231153Members
    I always build a locker just to fill with signals its starting to run out of space
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »

1. Picking up a Signal in a Lifepod surrounded by Gasopods. Poison clouds permeate the base, I die from exposure after picking up the Signal - it's lost on respawn
    2. Examining the Engineering console that gives the Energy Pulse Source but dying to the Reaper Leviathan upon returning home - it's lost on respawn

You now drop items when u die
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »

You now drop items when u die

Yes that's true, but unsecured items are still lost if they are "dropped" on death when inside the Lifepod (as you can't drop items inside the pod itself, only store them in the container). Nor are unsecured items dropped when you're devoured by the Reaper Leviathan. I tested this, they are eliminated from the game - presumably because he 'digests' the items along with your body lol.

In both cases I checked the seafloor around the Lifepod and Aurora where I died, and I couldn't find any items I lost that doesn't originate there. So there is still a precedence (albeit small) of losing items forever on death. :(
    funny, the only person who voted no didn't comment.
  • PowerPistonsPowerPistons Neverland Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232266Members
    edited August 2017
    Yes. Definitely. Absolutely!

Edit: My stupid Gravity Falls gif doesn't work. poop.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited August 2017
    Yes. Definitely. Absolutely!

Edit: My stupid Gravity Falls gif doesn't work. poop.

Try it like this: [img]http://linktogif.gif[/img]