Why Subnautica Needs Jet Skis

VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
Jet skis would be perfect for Subnautica. Here's why:

1. We have a two subs and a vehicle that sinks, so now we need a vehicle that floats.
2. It would get rid of those long swims to the Aurora or the two islands.
3. Even though it would be faster than the seamoth, players would still have to dive because that's where most of the game is.
4. It would be fun to zip around on a jet ski!
5. It would help determine if the much-requested boats are right for the game.
6. It would be fairly easy to implement (I think) because it would basically be a floating seamoth and they already have a floating mechanic (mobile vehicle bays float).
7. Subnautica has a beautiful surface that you hardly sea late in the game (oops, I mispelled "see" ;))
8. It would be nice to not have to worry about oxygen or pressure for once.
9. A boat wouldn't make as much sense in the overall theme of the game.
10. A jet ski would be a small feature that would be harmless! Don't say that we don't need it! Did we really need the coffee maker???

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Wouldn't it just be easier to use the seamoth and stay at the top of the water?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    How about a Sea Breacher?
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Counterpoint: There's really not much of interest ON the surface outside of the mountains and the floating islands. At least underwater there's varying scenery. Cruising on the surface would get dull, QUICKLY.
  • VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members

We could have all used seamoths at the BOTTOM of the ocean instead of the prawn suit. What I'm saying is that the restriction is what makes it interesting. Anyway, the jet ski would be cheaper and faster.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Similar ideas to this (a small surface craft) have been mentioned several times before. The most compelling case I saw was not so much a jet ski, but more of a life raft. A life raft would be expected equipment in a lifepod, and could allow for more interesting progression where the player doesn't find the seaglide until later and has to branch out on the surface before they can push deeper.

A jetski would be fun to mess around with for a few minutes and I wouldn't mind if it was added to the game, but as others have said, there really isn't all that much on the surface.
  • 5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members
    The seamoth does have an issue of popping out of the water and stalling, but I agree with you. Also: Reapers, Bonesharks, CrabSquid, Sandsharks, and odd things popping into existence doesn't happen on the surface.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Voxel wrote: »
    We could have all used seamoths at the BOTTOM of the ocean instead of the prawn suit. What I'm saying is that the restriction is what makes it interesting. Anyway, the jet ski would be cheaper and faster.

But the PRAWN can go deeper. It's hardier, can store things easier, and is better fit for deep-sea exploration, then hiking back to a base or the Cyclops.

We HAVE a small fast travel vehicle. It's called the Seamoth.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Of course we need the coffee maker. There may not be wifi, I may be stuck here, but at least there's decent coffee. I need to feed my addiction.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited July 2017
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    A life raft would be expected equipment in a lifepod

The lifepod IS a life raft. It floats (most of the time anyway). It would be cool to be able to move the life pod though...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I think they're worried players, if presented with a surface craft, would just troll around until they found land, find one or both of the islands, get bored, and think Subnautica didn't have much content (as they're missing 95% of the game that is under the water).
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I think they're worried players, if presented with a surface craft, would just troll around until they found land, find one or both of the islands, get bored, and think Subnautica didn't have much content (as they're missing 95% of the game that is under the water).

First time I played Subnautica, I heard the warning message saying to get FAR away from the Aurora before it blew. I traveled all the way to dry land. Then, I was like... um, so, what am I supposed to do now? There aren't a lot of building materials on dry land...

• Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    edited July 2017
    Answering because Jet-ski is an acceptable alternative to a dingy boat:
    There is a reason for surface boat, however it is tenuous and imply some rebalancing.

The niche is as follow:
    - CHEAP (so it can be used extremely early, using 2x battery rather than cells)
    - Deployable once (ideally no vehicle station), hence my own choice for inflatable dingy
    - EARLY (this would be your first survival-vehicle)
    - Surface-only (both to gate the progression and to give a different vision)
    - seaglide pushed later (the damn things is very cheaty, doubling your speed regardless of your tank model or fins)
    - synergy with game expansion (either new biome or more things on the surface, or even separation)

Why ?
    - Go loot the Aurora surrounding without fear of dying during the mighty journey (early game remember)
    - Have first place to both SEE the Aurora explode and the belief that you could run away from it at the last moment.-
    - Travel fast but only dive from surface (which would make the Air Bladder way more useful)
    - No risk of accidentally allowing you to go to the island too early, the island is hidden for new players, you don't have the means to recharge battery (battery that you find easily around the Aurora), and it could still be attacked anywhere dangerous anyway

That's basically everything I said here
  • omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
    well i think the game is almost complete and all you can do is wait for some modding...
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    omegataur wrote: »
    well i think the game is almost complete and all you can do is wait for some modding...

As short as this comment was........

I have to agree. Even as we speak, modders are cracking their knuckles
  • nocseiznocseiz Turkey Join Date: 2017-06-06 Member: 230973Members
    edited July 2017
    Answering because Jet-ski is an acceptable alternative to a dingy boat:
    There is a reason for surface boat, however it is tenuous and imply some rebalancing.

The niche is as follow:
    - CHEAP
    - Deployable once (ideally no vehicle station), hence my own choice for inflatable dingy
    - EARLY
    - seaglide pushed later
    - synergy with game expansion (either new biome or more things on the surface, or even separation)

Why ?
    - Go loot the Aurora surrounding without fear of dying during the mighty journey (early game remember)
    - Have first place to both SEE the Aurora explode and the belief that you could run away from it at the last moment.-
    - Travel fast but only dive from surface (which would make the Air Bladder way more useful)
    - No risk of accidentally allowing you to go to the island too early, the island is hidden for new players, you don't have the means to recharge battery (battery that you find easily around the Aurora), and it could still be attacked anywhere dangerous anyway

That's basically everything I said here

I also think that a vehicle like Seabreacher would be good, like Kouji_san suggest. Its max. depth won't be more than 100 meter. But it's going to be faster than a seamoth.
    edited July 2017
    If the vehicle isn't Surface-Only and CHEAP, it make the gameplay niche I described pointless. Just make a "speed upgrade" to replace the hull-upgrade.

EDIT: I updated the post you quoted for clarity.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    another argument I have seen a lot, is how everything the aurora had in cargo and data is subsurface specific, when they debarked to the faze gait building site in supposed unknown space they knew the worlds were completely covered with water with very little to no land mass so they alterra only sent the aurora with subsurface vehicles and equipment with the possible idea of mining the material's to build the gait with.

what if their was more land then deep water, almost all the equipment would be useless

I have asked before what about the precursors the big cannon has a moonpool big enough for the cyclops but that's the only indication they had a vehicle to get around with not even a mention of one

eopiudobfivc.jpg
  • nocseiznocseiz Turkey Join Date: 2017-06-06 Member: 230973Members
    edited July 2017
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    Counterpoint: There's really not much of interest ON the surface outside of the mountains and the floating islands. At least underwater there's varying scenery. Cruising on the surface would get dull, QUICKLY.

Both Jetpack and sub-surface feature:

With a TPS camera angle, maybe not so boring:
  • kfarris22kfarris22 United States Join Date: 2017-07-09 Member: 231690Members

There is a bug that allows you to move the life-pod I found it after ramming my sea moth into the damn thing. It broke it or I guess damaged it to 82% and began floating off in a fixed direction which can be changed by pushing it around with either the seaglide or the seamoth thing... If you repair it on the panel that you repair inside at the beginning it stays in the newly fixed place.
  • kfarris22kfarris22 United States Join Date: 2017-07-09 Member: 231690Members

There is a bug that allows you to move the life-pod I found it after ramming my sea moth into the damn thing. It broke it or I guess damaged it to 82% and began floating off in a fixed direction which can be changed by pushing it around with either the seaglide or the seamoth thing... If you repair it on the panel that you repair inside at the beginning it stays in the newly fixed place.

Sorry 0x6A7232 I quoted the wrong person.

Just wanted to say that while I agree it can happen, it would require a lot of effort. The islands are hidden and far away. Especially if the boat is powered by basic battery.

Early game you will not have the energy to reach them and you'll be spending a lot of time underwater looking for mean to survive/evolve.
    Sooner or later you are meant to find them. No matter if you are ready for it.
    Plus it don't feel like you are meant to find all base in a specific order.
    At worst some gating mechanic can be used. Hostile creature keeping you away unless you have an hardened/silent subs or a riffle.

Concerning "getting bored", it's the opposite.
    It won't take long for any players to understand that "subnautica" mean "the funny stuff is underwater". So any time spent above is just putting a good contrast about how rich the ocean floor are.
    To me they should be more worried that player never guess there's islands.