The Epic Trello Thread

Comments

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited June 2017
    https://trello.com/c/xQ8T2oxk/6443-crash-zone-mesas

The new land design for the Crash Zone looks really friggin' sweet... :blush:

Coranth wrote: »
    More...

Loot_Models_02_in_game.jpg

I'm assuming that brown brick is the updated Nutrient Block model... Why does Unity make something so mundane as an unappetizing, dried-out food ration look so slick and awesome? :love:
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I'm assuming that brown brick is the updated Nutrient Block model... Why does Unity make something so mundane as an unappetizing, dried-out food ration look so slick and awesome? :love:

So... If we eat it we'll literally be shitting bricks?! *ba-dum tsh!*

• PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    https://trello.com/c/xQ8T2oxk/6443-crash-zone-mesas

The new land design for the Crash Zone looks really friggin' sweet... :blush:

Sure does, but it would be suicidal to explore with all the Reaper Leviathans. I'd prefer those only spawn in deep waters like the mountains and dunes, but keep the Crash Zone radioactive to dissuade players to make it an easy source of titanium.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    If we could get the reaper's clipping through terrain bug taken care of I'd feel a lot safer in the updated terrain than I do in the current flattened area.
    edited June 2017
    Ralij wrote: »
    If we could get the reaper's clipping through terrain bug taken care of I'd feel a lot safer in the updated terrain than I do in the current flattened area.

I agree. I like how the Sandshark operates, being able to clip into the terrain as per it digging in the sand lying in ambush. And I also realize that the Reaper Leviathan only 'exists' around its head - as in it only has a hitbox and the rest of the body doesn't. As such I've seen it pass through the terrain beyond 50 meters in distance, likely due to the terrain 'not existing' possibly due to how the Unity engine works. But unlike the Sandshark, the Reaper Leviathan should not be able to do this; I don't care how massive and powerful it is, it shouldn't be able to pass through the terrain like the Sandshark does.

I realize this is a rather large technical hurdle the development team has to face, and I'm not expecting a solution anytime soon... but it's rather jarring to see it happen when it does. Now the Ghost Leviathan, perfectly acceptable for it do that since it's existence possibly defies all laws of logic and physics (although I'm speculating, since I haven't encountered it personally in the game yet). But hopefully something can be done to/for the RL by the time 1.0 launches officially.
    Speaking of Reaper Leviathans...

https://trello.com/c/FSLkKqHk/6434-juvenile-leviathan-size-and-anims

it looks like we're getting more of the family to join in on the survivor's terror! :open_mouth:
    edited June 2017
    Ralij wrote: »

I agree. I like how the Sandshark operates, being able to clip into the terrain as per it digging in the sand lying in ambush. And I also realize that the Reaper Leviathan only 'exists' around its head - as in it only has a hitbox and the rest of the body doesn't. As such I've seen it pass through the terrain beyond 50 meters in distance, likely due to the terrain 'not existing' possibly due to how the Unity engine works. But unlike the Sandshark, the Reaper Leviathan should not be able to do this; I don't care how massive and powerful it is, it shouldn't be able to pass through the terrain like the Sandshark does.

I realize this is a rather large technical hurdle the development team has to face, and I'm not expecting a solution anytime soon... but it's rather jarring to see it happen when it does. Now the Ghost Leviathan, perfectly acceptable for it do that since it's existence possibly defies all laws of logic and physics (although I'm speculating, since I haven't encountered it personally in the game yet). But hopefully something can be done to/for the RL by the time 1.0 launches officially.

Actually, I think spawning Leviathans only in deep biomes would solve this. I'm pretty sure their AI is programmed to keep a distance from both ground and surface level. The crash zone probably bugs Leviathan because it's not deep enough. It's also the only place where I've seen the clipping issue.
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    Pauolo wrote: »
    Actually, I think spawning Leviathans only in deep biomes would solve this. I'm pretty sure their AI is programmed to keep a distance from both ground and surface level. The crash zone probably bugs Leviathan because it's not deep enough. It's also the only place where I've seen the clipping issue.

That may help, but I did see the clipping at the mountain island.
    Wiirlak wrote: »
    That may help, but I did see the clipping at the mountain island.

I guess Leviathans will always be a pain to deal with, both as player or developer. :(
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    Is this thread dead?
    edited July 2017
    @Gourmet_Guy, no, it's just that there hasn't been much of interest to report on, since Subnautica is basically complete; the final prerelease build is the "Rocket" Build and then it will be "Performance Mania" as the Devs do mega bug smashing for the final v1.0 release; lots of code cleanup.

50489 Fixed busted StopTimer calls after merge from main.

50488 Removed GameObjectData.name to reduce serialization burden of unique object names.

50485 Marked I/O to investigate.

50484 Got rid of randomness in navigation between selectable items. Item closer to the top-left corner is now always preferred.

50483 Removed missing scripts from tiles.
    50482 Fixed gendarme diff for auto generated classes and functions.
    50481 Cleanup.
    50479 Removed live/dead meat, smoke, and effect event emitters.
    50478 Removed vibration event from Cyclops.
    50477 Removed blood and heat event listeners.
    50476 Removed sound, heat, and blood events.
    50475 Removed unused code.
    50473 Added monodevelop.
    50472 Suppressing Gendarme warning.
    50471 Cleaning up eco event handlers.
    50470 Fixed Issue with Prion Exterior Collision, Fixed terrain holes around gun exterior, Fixed many floating kelp vines around gun on cables and bases, removed ion crystal below floor of upper gun

50469 Cleaning up eco event handlers.
    50468 Cleaning up eco event handlers.
    50467 Cleaning up eco event handlers.
    50465 Fixed issue with Prison exterior Collison
    50464 Cleaning up eco event handlers.
    50463 Removed deprecated zone field from AtmosphereVolumes.
    50462 Updated test data.
  • kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    It has been long enough
    Now here's something cool:

https://trello.com/c/PAq7Jimt/6488-emperor-vo-draft-emp-dialog-around-the-aquarium

The Sea Emperor could have more dialogue as you enter the various parts of the containment facility/aquarium...

https://trello.com/c/EgmDp8iY/6491-clean-up-craft-tree

But whty are they going to cut the Thermometer? I love the idea of making chips that add extra elements to the HUD and I wish there were more! The old Amiga/Atari ST Game "Infestation" had LOADS of HUD extras selectable by the numpad or number keys:

1 Navigation computer
    2 Status computer
    3 Inventory
    4 Life support systems
    5 Scratch pad
    6 Atmosphere analysis
    7 Avionics
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited July 2017
    Yeah, what gives? Is heat going to be added as a regular gauge? Or made a function of the reinforced suit? I can sorta see either option work and agree the thermometer doesn't do all that much, but it's not like SN currently has a whole lot of HUD chips I do care to use.

Other than that, I do like the points on the list. Looking forward to more fragment hunting. Although that battery bit probs should include "or when picking up". It's something only experienced players are gonna do, but you might as well let them.
    That power transmitter design is gorgeous! Like, really pretty and playful. Can't wait to have it in-game.
    edited July 2017
    Jacke wrote: »
    If the thermometer is going to be added to the default UI, great. If it's going out of the game completely, I don't like that one bit. It gives character to the biomes that you see their temperatures. Moar science!

12lufn.0.jpg

In all seriousness, they should just make the thermometer part of the standard UI. Although like @Jacke said, it makes more sense to have it part of the reinforced dive suit. Whereas the rad suit protects against radiation, the reinforced suit protects against heat - therefore it makes sense it would have access to a thermometer. I like it!

I do have one concern though... This last update eliminated the compass and made it standard access only to the vehicles, and the proposed change will restrict the thermometer likely to a certain suit. If the devs change the ping coordinates internally to the PDA - which don't get me wrong, I REALLY hope they do... having to manage 20+ signals is cumbersome! But if the Compass, Thermometer and Signals are eliminated, what will the paperdoll upgrade slots be used for then? :open_mouth:

I propose they add new chips that enhance abilities instead. Like increased vision at night, or a faster swimming speed. They could stack with items like the swim fins for better mobility, or combine with Transfusions for multiple effects (a permanent night vision Upgrade combined with temporary swimming speed Transfusion for instance).

I'm kind of happy they're making the Thermometer and Compass UI part of the regular HUD, as I always had them active and hated "losing" them temporarily when getting Signals. But as much as I WANT Signals eliminated as items (please make them internal UWE!) I would hate to see the upgrade slots rendered useless completely. :cry:
    edited July 2017
    @Jacke Yup it's for real, but it's in the current Stable build (IDK about Experimental). The compass appears normally when in the Seamoth, but it can't be used otherwise. :( I hope it will be added as an upgrade, because I rely on it far more often outside vehicles than inside them. :angry:
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    WHY? WHY DEVS WHY?

DOES NOT WANT
    Nobody is going to get this reference
    Except maybe @Tarkannen

Are we certain this is the case? Because I've got two save files on the latest stable and I got the compass (recipe) on both. It's a pretty tough to find data box, at least the one I'm certain to contain it, but it's still in the game.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Coranth wrote: »
    https://trello.com/c/EgmDp8iY/6491-clean-up-craft-tree Devs: "Hey, I know, let's turn that Beacon into fragments so players can't craft it right away! You know, that super-important tool that lets players mark and find things!"

#stillcan'tfindthebaseibuilt

That's irritating. >:(
    It's probably going into boxes in the Safe Shallows like the seaglide. Should be easy enough to find. If your base is not too far from the surface and you do not have a beacon, you can stack vertical connectors to make it visible abovewater. It's how I'm dealing with it now that copper is a bother.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Are we certain this is the case? Because I've got two save files on the latest stable and I got the compass (recipe) on both. It's a pretty tough to find data box, at least the one I'm certain to contain it, but it's still in the game.

It's in Weird Duplicate Lifepod#3, which is located at -150, -4, -410 (near the more easily-found lava geyser in the Safe Shallows).
    DrownedOut wrote: »

It's in Weird Duplicate Lifepod#3, which is located at -150, -4, -410 (near the more easily-found lava geyser in the Safe Shallows).

That one I didn't know of. I got mine in either wreck [-320 -57 252] or [320 -40 -336].
    Update on the thermometer: It's going to be default data provided by the vehicles. Given there's no checkbox for non-vehicle means to check temperature, I get the impression that's not in the plans. This is a negative to me right now. On the upside, the thermal plant template will receive an additional color to communicate it can be placed but would not work at that location.

Questions for people who play experimental: Checkin refers to secondary wrecks in the Dunes. Are these medium-large wrecks or small wrecks like those around the Aurora? There's also occasional mention of "CrashedShipLavaZoneEntrance"; is this about removing the entrance or can I hope for a way out for the Cyclops?