Using a mouse button no longer reliably shows the map

AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
Hello there,

I use my mouse button 5 (browser forward) to show the in game map. Up until a particular build this year it has been highly reliable.

I've however noticed that it doesn't function very well anymore. Sometimes it works as hold to show (normal), sometimes it'll be toggle to show/hide, and other times it's always shown but hold to hide with rapidly pressing the button to hide it fully. The behaviour sometimes varies across different views, such as first person normal shooting roar, commanding, and spectating or viewing someone else while respawning. (First person roar view seems to be the most reliable.)

I use the same button in other games (such as Sven Co-op) for my "use" function (opening doors, holding open valves, etc) so I'd definitely notice if there was a hardware fault. The button works fine in other games though.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Have you tried setting it back to 'C'? Not as a solution, of course, but just to see if the behavior remains consistent so we can rule out the mouse button.

Also, I know the map works as a toggle in some situations in ns2, and as a hold in others -- I don't remember exactly when, I think it's a toggle when you're dead, but not 100% positive -- so that part of the behavior is working correctly. You shouldn't have to rapidly press the button to hide it though...
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    edited July 2017
    Adambean wrote: »
    Sometimes it works as hold to show (normal), sometimes it'll be toggle to show/hide, and other times it's always shown but hold to hide with rapidly pressing the button to hide it fully. The behaviour sometimes varies across different views, such as first person normal shooting roar, commanding, and spectating or viewing someone else while respawning. (First person roar view seems to be the most reliable.)

To clarify, is this what you're experiencing ?
    - always "hold to show the map" when alive (alien/marine and I think commander too)
    - always "toggle to show/hide the map" when dead/spectating

This is how it works for me, I think it's the intended behaviour. I don't remember having to "press the button to hide" the map though, that part seems weird.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    In the Settings you can configure whether you want your map to be toggled or if you need to press the button in order to show the map.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I believe this is an NS2+ setting.
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Have you tried setting it back to 'C'? Not as a solution, of course, but just to see if the behavior remains consistent so we can rule out the mouse button.

Also, I know the map works as a toggle in some situations in ns2, and as a hold in others -- I don't remember exactly when, I think it's a toggle when you're dead, but not 100% positive -- so that part of the behavior is working correctly. You shouldn't have to rapidly press the button to hide it though...
    I haven't -- As an evolved NS1 player I have my ZXCV as "need order", "ok", "need health", and "need ammo". I'll see if something else like "B" is available.

It does seem like toggle mode when dead or watching, but somehow it gets stuck toggled on.
    antou wrote: »
    To clarify, is this what you're experiencing ?
    - always "hold to show the map" when alive (alien/marine and I think commander too)
    - always "toggle to show/hide the map" when dead/spectating

This is how it works for me, I think it's the intended behaviour. I don't remember having to "press the button to hide" the map though, that part seems weird.
    That sounds right, though not sure why the behaviour would be different. I'd expect either one or the other, with the option to choose.
    Handschuh wrote: »
    In the Settings you can configure whether you want your map to be toggled or if you need to press the button in order to show the map.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I believe this is an NS2+ setting.
    Sorry chaps I should have mentioned that I use NS2+. I've checked the setting, it's on "hold", and just noticed there's a newer "NS2Plus" distribution of the mod so I'll switch to that.