Bigger Submarine Concept - My own 3D model

Comments

• jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    edited July 2017
    This is amazing... I literally have nothing else I could say... except it's the best thing I've ever seen!

Never give up!

(I've literally been refreshing this page every chance I got....... it was worth it)
  • mistermanbruhmistermanbruh netherlands Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225293Members

...!

WOWOWWOWOWOWOOWOWOWWOOW

*me being speechless*
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    edited July 2017
    if this does make it into the game can we have VMSes in the vehicle docks?
  • MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members

@DragoWhooves what is VMS? ....
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    Minder wrote: »

@DragoWhooves what is VMS? ....

VMS = Vehicle Modification Station
    @DragoWhooves oh yeah, i thought about that! i will see, but i figured out, the moon pool is very different than a vehicle bay, there is more space, and it's in the base
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    make more! will the model of the atlas be a damage hologram? can I help?
    @Recursion sorry i won't be able to do more soon, i just stated my summer job, i'm making deliveries by bicycle so it's really exhausting ^^
    But how can you help? :) Are you a graphist or a programmer? :)
  • SAPH3RESAPH3RE Join Date: 2016-04-18 Member: 215908Members
    Don't know what he meant by 'Broken Hologram' in any way, but @Minder, dude that is so amazing! I can't wait for this to be finished!
    edited July 2017
    @Recursion sorry i won't be able to do more soon, i just stated my summer job, i'm making deliveries by bicycle so it's really exhausting ^^
    But how can you help? :) Are you a graphist or a programmer? :)

Not really, but Those computer screens need textures, and I can probably try to paint some on with paint 3d or blender. I also know a tiny bit of C, and I could probably (badly) manipulate this into the game by generally figuring out how they did the cyclops and "mapping" it onto the atlas.
    EDIT: Also, are there 3 decks?
    SAPH3RE wrote: »
    Don't know what he meant by 'Broken Hologram' in any way, but @Minder, dude that is so amazing! I can't wait for this to be finished!

I meant the tiny model of the atlas inside being a damage display like the cyclops one.
    @Recursion oh! can i see some of your works? :) But i think i'm going to do it all by myself, it's easier. But for the programming part, i really need help, i really want to have a teleport option or interact actions with my model in Unity!
    And yes there are 3 decks, you can see them all, i just haven't started the lower deck.
    But yeah i could probably do something with a hologram
    edited July 2017
    @Recursion oh! can i see some of your works? :) But i think i'm going to do it all by myself, it's easier. But for the programming part, i really need help, i really want to have a teleport option or interact actions with my model in Unity!
    And yes there are 3 decks, you can see them all, i just haven't started the lower deck.
    But yeah i could probably do something with a hologram

I've done a a few 3d models of a case for a BOSE speaker, and I can write decent code for an arduino, which isn't really too different to subnautica's code, or coding for unity as they are both written in C# or something like that.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited July 2017
    @Minder @Recursion I'm not sure what level any of you are on as far as the coding part, but I know @nesrak1 does stuff with that, if the three of you put your heads together, I'm sure there would be some learning involved somewhere (from who to who, I have no idea, lol, I just know all of you like that stuff, and I know nesrak1 has put stuff in game before).

I guess what I'm trying to suggest is that the three of you get together for a brainstorming session on Discord or something. :)
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @Minder @Recursion I'm not sure what level any of you are on as far as the coding part, but I know @nesrak1 does stuff with that, if the three of you put your heads together, I'm sure there would be some learning involved somewhere (from who to who, I have no idea, lol, I just know all of you like that stuff, and I know nesrak1 has put stuff in game before).

I guess what I'm trying to suggest is that the three of you get together for a brainstorming session on Discord or something. :)

I don't have discord. We can probably use private messages or something.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited July 2017

Anyway, I've seen the videos, looks like you've got it in unity, so that's cool. Pretty much all I can do is wait at this point.
    Recursion wrote: »

If it makes a difference, you don't need the app, Discord will run happily in a browser tab.
  • SAPH3RESAPH3RE Join Date: 2016-04-18 Member: 215908Members
    What the heck is even a damaged hologram?
  • 5pears5pears Join Date: 2017-06-30 Member: 231470Members
    nice work on the models!

A texturing tip (perhaps you already know):
    1:
    You got a fairly large texture with blanks so i assume you want to fit the other components such as the propeller into the same texture.
    Don't do this because it's going to be tedious to work with (i.e. with zooming in and out, panning, especially if you going to have more than 20 layers it's gonna be laggy on the image edit software). Break down the components into separate and smaller textures, and once it's all done you can bake them back into a single texture.
    This way you can control the texture density exactly you want it, also you can optimize the UV better...
    2:
    with curved object, some time it's hard to texture it with the UV map alone (e.g. straight line on curved surface).
    So, duplicate your model, and use the knife tool or intersect tool to cutout the detail (or panel line) you want on the model it self, and export it's UV as a second UV map for better reference.

oh boy Just looking at the model gets me excited! so eager to see it finished! and perhaps making it into a mod when the dev make it possible, i bet it's gonna be a huge hit!

Btw if you are going to be making alot of models and textures in the future, i highly recommend buying and learning Quixel, it's beginner friendly but produce excellent textures.

SAPH3RE wrote: »
    What the heck is even a damaged hologram?

I meant like the hologram in the cyclops that shows the location of hull breaches.

If it makes a difference, you don't need the app, Discord will run happily in a browser tab.

It might be easier to send private messages than arranging a date, as my schedule is likely to change at any given moment.
    edited July 2017

It might be easier to send private messages than arranging a date, as my schedule is likely to change at any given moment.

Hmm. a) true, b) Discord does that too c) if you want to take a look at how it works, try joining Subnautica's Discord server.

Hmm. a) true, b) Discord does that too c) if you want to take a look at how it works, try joining Subnautica's Discord server.

I know how it works, I've dropped in occasionally but haven't written anything.
  • TheRaccoonTheRaccoon Australia Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228921Members
    You did an amazing job!!!
    but I have one suggestion; in the cockpit, you should join the bit where the desks are to the catwalk for the console because the gap is slightly irritating. but otherwise, this beautiful creation is coming along wonderfully!
    Keep up the great work!
    @Recursion and anyone else who likes modding (or just want to watch modders at work) There's a separate Discord server dedicated just to modding Subnautica, here's an invite link. I'm just thinking, the more you guys can brainstorm together, the better. :)
  • VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
    Would it even fit in some of the trenches? Looks great, but maybe too big for the current state of the game.
    Hi guys, i'm just finished my weeks of works as a bicycle delivery guy. I was really exhausted but now i have a full free week so i will continue the interior i think.

I just sent a message to Nesrak to see what i can do with him as well.

5pears wrote: »
    nice work on the models!

A texturing tip (perhaps you already know):
    1:
    You got a fairly large texture with blanks so i assume you want to fit the other components such as the propeller into the same texture.
    Don't do this because it's going to be tedious to work with (i.e. with zooming in and out, panning, especially if you going to have more than 20 layers it's gonna be laggy on the image edit software). Break down the components into separate and smaller textures, and once it's all done you can bake them back into a single texture.
    This way you can control the texture density exactly you want it, also you can optimize the UV better...
    2:
    with curved object, some time it's hard to texture it with the UV map alone (e.g. straight line on curved surface).
    So, duplicate your model, and use the knife tool or intersect tool to cutout the detail (or panel line) you want on the model it self, and export it's UV as a second UV map for better reference.

oh boy Just looking at the model gets me excited! so eager to see it finished! and perhaps making it into a mod when the dev make it possible, i bet it's gonna be a huge hit!

Btw if you are going to be making alot of models and textures in the future, i highly recommend buying and learning Quixel, it's beginner friendly but produce excellent textures.

@Spears Yeah i know, but in texturing you have to optimize the space you have, even if it's harder to work with. And oh boy, i have more than 20 layers for sure xDD But i have got 14 go of RAM. But for the exterior i had to do that, but yeah for the interior, i will make several small textures.
    And yeah that's a good tip for curved object. But sometimes just the actual mesh helps, just like for the aircraft i made. But for the Atlas, i didn't have that much trouble :)
    I will see for Quixel, for the moment i have to master Photoshop and Maya, and Substance designer and painter seem to be great softwares too.

TheRaccoon wrote: »
    You did an amazing job!!!
    but I have one suggestion; in the cockpit, you should join the bit where the desks are to the catwalk for the console because the gap is slightly irritating. but otherwise, this beautiful creation is coming along wonderfully!
    Keep up the great work!

@TheRaccoon Yeah i will keep in mind that, but don't pay attention to the wonky physics in my video, this is the basic fps Controller of Unity and i don't know how it works ^^

Voxel wrote: »
    Would it even fit in some of the trenches? Looks great, but maybe too big for the current state of the game.

@Voxel This has been discussed a lot in this thread, maybe you can go read some former messages, where i explain my point of view of this statement :)

• SonicFishSonicFish 2345 St. Charles Dr. Clearwater FL USA Join Date: 2017-07-11 Member: 231751Members
    maybe when subnautica 1.0 comes out they'll look more into it!
    Hi guys, i wanted to have your opinion, i just tried something. Would you like so see some videos of myself modelling the Atlas? I can record it, and if i can get my hand on a editing video software, i can make some timelapses, jump in time, and text explanation of what you can see on the screen.
    I can then post it on youtube, so you can see the development of the project and how i work :)
    Tell me if you want me to do that or no, i would like to do it but if nobody watch it, it would be pointless ...
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    Hi guys, i wanted to have your opinion, i just tried something. Would you like so see some videos of myself modelling the Atlas? I can record it, and if i can get my hand on a editing video software, i can make some timelapses, jump in time, and text explanation of what you can see on the screen.
    I can then post it on youtube, so you can see the development of the project and how i work :)
    Tell me if you want me to do that or no, i would like to do it but if nobody watch it, it would be pointless ...

That sounds like an excellent idea! I don't know how many people would view, but I see no problem in it at all!
This discussion has been closed.