Splash Down (A Subnautica Story)

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Couldn't they build their base on the underside of the island? I lived there once in an old playthrough. I would imagine that they would be more protected from the elements in the event of a storm.
  • ThunderShock27ThunderShock27 America Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227880Members
    edited May 2017
    Couldn't they build their base on the underside of the island? I lived there once in an old playthrough. I would imagine that they would be more protected from the elements in the event of a storm.

They could, but then you must wonder: How long would it be before a reaper decided to saunter right into the grand reef biome and take a bite out of their base? Those mandibles are designed for death and destruction. The current fabrication plans they have for bases are built for protection against water pressure, not long talons capable of doing considerable damage to a seamoth in 1 go. In this story, very little is known about reapers so far. Any deep area in the sea could easily be reaper territory. The only truly safe place on the planet based on Jeff's current knowledge is either on an island out of the water, or in the safe shallows where it isn't deep enough for a reaper to maneuver well. Let's hope, for the sake of Palmer and Jeff and everyone rooting for them, they don't make that mistake. Perhaps in future, when more is known about the reaper's habits and fabrication plans for stronger bases have been developed, we'll see them build a base in more dangerous territory. For now, sit back, relax, and find out what course of action Palmer and Jeff decide to do next in the upcoming entries!

STAY TUNED! SAME SUBNAUTICA TIME (ahem, more or less), SAME SUBNAUTICA CHANNEL!
  • FlashWoolFumbleFlashWoolFumble Join Date: 2017-03-18 Member: 229033Members
    mosg55folvjq.jpg

recreating these vaguely reminds me of reapers and sea dragons. Is that what you were going for?
  • ThunderShock27ThunderShock27 America Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227880Members
    edited May 2017
    mosg55folvjq.jpg

recreating these vaguely reminds me of reapers and sea dragons. Is that what you were going for?

Dude those are nice! :smiley: They didn't initially have meanings, but now that u mention it, the color schemes do make sense. The black and green one was actually just my personal preference in game. Neon green and black is my favorite color scheme and I thought I'd incorporate it, but it does look like a seadragon when its dark green. And the white and red one, that was just another one of my favorite color schemes. I'm surprised i didn't think about the similarities to a reaper. Thanks for the representation though! :smiley: If you go to the coordinates of their base in game, you might even try replicating their base too if you like.
    mosg55folvjq.jpg

Dude those are nice! :smiley: They didn't initially have meanings, but now that u mention it, the color schemes do make sense. The black and green one was actually just my personal preference in game. Neon green and black is my favorite color scheme and I thought I'd incorporate it, but it does look like a seadragon when its dark green. And the white and red one, that was just another one of my favorite color schemes. I'm surprised i didn't think about the similarities to a reaper. Thanks for the representation though! :smiley: If you go to the coordinates of their base in game, you might even try replicating their base too if you like.

im at the coordinates. Might give a shot at the base
    jto25yoi7j5g.jpg
    inr4vlrfweto.jpg
    q6e1k5fipjah.jpg
    ns0h2zqt7zgt.jpg
    348yxjx0tmir.jpg
    izb8kaozyqo7.jpg
    n55yui0hm9b5.jpg
    a6vbwffj9mn5.jpg
    y1uv4a3joiin.jpg
    That's my rough interpretation of it. Not entirely sure what goes in that one MP room but i have one with the storage lockers. Couldnt figure out how to get walls in the rooms so i just did as is and added a couple touches of my own such as the picture and the desk.
    Nice work @FlashWoolFumble ! I actually built a base there as a point of reference for my last entry and I'll tell you right now, you basically created exactly what I did! Nice work!

In other news, I must apologize again for the lack of quantity and quality of the latest entries in Splash Down. I've been really busy with finals and year-end exams. Once I get that under my belt though, I should be able to buckle down and give more time to this story! Hang in there ladies and gentlemen!
    Nice work @FlashWoolFumble ! I actually built a base there as a point of reference for my last entry and I'll tell you right now, you basically created exactly what I did! Nice work!

In other news, I must apologize again for the lack of quantity and quality of the latest entries in Splash Down. I've been really busy with finals and year-end exams. Once I get that under my belt though, I should be able to buckle down and give more time to this story! Hang in there ladies and gentlemen!
    Hey no problem take your time man. I'd rather have a good story that takes time instead of a rushed bad story
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    Honestly surprised he hasnt run into Alexander Selkirk while on the planet or aurora
    edited June 2017
    Chapter 26: Jelly and Blood

After the completion of the base, the duo decided to name their home Reefback Refuge, or R&R for short. A week had passed since the christening of Talon and Stingray, a week primarily filled with resource runs. They had been stockpiling all sorts of materials from metals to plants. Along the way a few discoveries were made. A new, very creepy looking biome of what looked like skeletal hands protruding out of the darkness of an abyss. This area was avoided for good reason. They also discovered new creatures such as the bone shark and a thing that looked like a cross between a crab, a squid, and a light-bulb, which lead to it's designation as 'crabsquid'. They had been traveling all around the area of the R&R in their search for materials which lead to finding more sunken lifepods and more fragments of the Aurora. However, the most interesting discovery they made, was on their very doorstep. While on their way back from material gathering, they came within only a few hundred feet of the base when Palmer caught a glimpse of a strange glow that came from the sea floor. They doubled back and went in for a closer look.

"What'd you say it was?"

"I'm not sure, it was like and unearthly glow... of course... you could basically call anything in this ocean unearthly. It was just different from anything I've seen on this planet- here it is!"

In front of them gaped an indention in the ground that got steeper and steeper until it gave way to a large hole that lead down into the dark. At the bottom of the darkness was a pinkish purple glow that pierced the darkness.

"Huh, what do you think it is?"

"Probably the same thing it always is Palmer, either a giant bioluminescent plant that wants to kill us, or a giant bioluminescent creature that wants to kill us. Either way, most things on this planet want to kill us. Let's head back and drop off our stuff and move on."

"I kinda wanna go in for a closer look don't you?"

"I mean, I guess... but at the first sign of something dangerous, we're out ok? Caves on this planet don't usually spell good news."

Palmer began descending down and cut on Stingray's lights. Jeff followed close behind. The cave went vertically down and down, deeper and deeper. Jeff was beginning to worry that a speedy retreat was going to be a bit more difficult in this small space. The tunnel suddenly gave way to stalagtites as they entered into a massive cavern at about 197 meters down. The cave was about the size of the grassy plateau above them and seemed to branch off in smaller sections just beyond the murk. The most intriguing thing about this massive cave were the massive, glowing, pink mushroom things that grew up from the floor. Some of them were even more massive than the size of their base. The mushrooms' caps were made of what appeared to be a jelly like flesh that covered the pink bioluminescent tissue interior. At the top in the middle of the caps were holes that seemed to be lined in the same material the stalks were made up of.

"Wow... this planet just gets weirder and more interesting at every turn," Palmer whistled.

"Yeah, no kidding. I'll scan these mushrooms just for science's sake and then we can head outa here."

Jeff brought Talon in closer to one of the mushrooms.

"Gosh, I still need to add a built-in scanner to the seamoth... That's the first thing we're doing when we get back."

He exited the seamoth and took out his scanner. The mushroom he chose to scan was the largest one visible. It's cap had a radius from the edge to the center hole of about half a football field. These things were truly massive. Suddenly, Sally's scanners picked up something.

"Large creatures detected in vicinity, advise extreme caution."

But it was too late for Jeff to back away. A large serpentine creature flashed out of the center hole of the mushroom and lunged at Jeff. It moved so fast the features of the beast were hardly distinguishable. It wasn't until two large mandibles clamped down on Jeff's leg that the creature's intent and design became apparent. Blood clouded the area of contact and Palmer's curious face melted into fear.

"JAY!!!"
  • kubazet99kubazet99 Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221450Members
    Now when subnautica have something like ending in hyped for how that end.Remember 1st sea emperor telepathy is trigered by visiting precursor gun(voice line: Whot are you?).2nd Lost river base,3 lava zone.But i can mistake.
    @Kubazet99 That's actually quite helpful. Thanks for the reminder! :smile:
    @Kubazet99 That's actually quite helpful. Thanks for the reminder! :smile:

Maybe just have them revisit it soon and trigger the voiceline?
  • HopeTheSpaceTyrantHopeTheSpaceTyrant Join Date: 2017-06-29 Member: 231466Members
    I want to thank you for your story. I've been reading alot of the fanfic on here while at work and I love reading yours. I love that you try to follow to events that happen in game as it makes it relate-able to everyones play-though. I do like the other ones on here like what Zapper does, but I like that you stick to cannon. So in short, thanks, keep being awesome, and don't ever give up.
    I want to thank you for your story. I've been reading alot of the fanfic on here while at work and I love reading yours. I love that you try to follow to events that happen in game as it makes it relate-able to everyones play-though. I do like the other ones on here like what Zapper does, but I like that you stick to cannon. So in short, thanks, keep being awesome, and don't ever give up.

Thankyou so much. That means so much to me. That was my motivation initially: to make a story that followed the cannon events of the game and maybe throw a few twists into it. I thought the game's story was already quite intricate on its own and that, to take it to the next level, a voice simply needed to be given to the main character and a story about right before the crash along with the point of view of the Sunbeam crew. I have the benefit of creating my story toward the end of the game's story development, whereas Bugzapper made his really early on and so he had to make up his own ideas on how the game would progress and when the devs made something different in game, he just had to roll with it and the way he writes, it's probably for the better anyway because both of his stories are fantastic.

Thanks so much for the feedback though! <3
  • HopeTheSpaceTyrantHopeTheSpaceTyrant Join Date: 2017-06-29 Member: 231466Members
    Yep you do have that benefit, I also like the duel survivor thing, dialog is the meat of a great book. Tho, I have found no story on here who's person is as fearful and paranoid about this planet as the way my game plays out >.<
  • kubazet99kubazet99 Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221450Members
    Did you know about suposing end of game?You are suposed to get rocket blueprint for Altera corp,HQ (In captain room perosnal computer).They could catch part of transmision,but not clear enough,so they must visit captain room(Or bridge,or coms. center):That mean revisit Aroura.Here is one video about rocket
    @kubazet99 Yeah, I've seen that video. As you might imagine I've had to do A TON of research to make sure I don't accidentally miss something important in the cannon of the story. For the last entry, I had to bring up a freedom mode save and methodically go through the gun facility at the same pace I was writing to make sure I got the data downloads and interior descriptions correct. Don't worry, I won't be leaving out important details like the rocket. :wink:
    This is my bookmark.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    I've been reading this from the beginning, but only commented now. This is great. Make more.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    edited July 2017
    Oooh, Excitement. What will happen, what is going on, and what was that mysterious dingus? I already know, but I'm pretending I don't.
  • FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    Hey man. Just wanted to let you know that I absolutely LOVE your story and it was one that had inspired me, so keep up the good work!
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    Love the series, but just a note to make; I think a while back you mentioned the Sunbeam scanning the planet? If they did, they wouldn't likely have found much to drown out their sensors with.
    It's implied that all other life on the planet beyond the small patch where the Emperor's prison was is dead, due to the Emperor's facility being the only part were the enzymes needed to survive were able to reach.