Steam allocates 10GB of space for this game

TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
Why does steam allocate 10 GB of storage for this game when it is only 4 GB?
pv4ksw4gbton.jpg
5scfgmbycu7n.jpg

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I knew it. Backdoors for the CIA to spy on NS2 players!

Shame on you, UWE
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2017
    Steam downloads games and updates as compressed archives to save network bandwidth. So ns2 is compressed about 4 GB large but uncompressed 10 GB ;)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Steam downloads games and updates as compressed archives to save network bandwidth. So ns2 is compressed about 4 GB large but uncompressed 10 GB ;)

I've always wondered how they compress things. When I zip a bunch of files, I don't save nearly as much space.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It does depend on what kind of files you compress though, files that are already compressed like images/videos and the likes will most likely not be able to compress much further down in file size. That is the gist I get from it :D
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Exactly, for eg. textures will already be compressed, so Steam can't reduce the size of those files. On the other hand, LUA scripts will be compressed to like 1% of it's original size.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2017
    It just totally depends on your compression settings specially word and dictionary size. The default zip settings are often designed for smaller files. You can compress the art/sound assets easily by a factor of 50-60% as many of them share identical bit elements due to similar file headers etc. .
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Exactly, for eg. textures will already be compressed, so Steam can't reduce the size of those files. On the other hand, LUA scripts will be compressed to like 1% of it's original size.

There aren't 6GB of lua scripts. ;)
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

i know, i just wrote that in general :D
    but im still curious how can steam shave off 6 gigs from the package... :]
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

Well I know the UI files are uncompressed DDS files, so there's a lot of repeated data in there. Doesn't explain 6GB though. Probably mostly comes from textures.
    edited June 2017

Well I know the UI files are uncompressed DDS files, so there's a lot of repeated data in there. Doesn't explain 6GB though. Probably mostly comes from textures.

Even compressed files can often be compressed even more ;) Just google the terms zip bomb or 42.zip (Warning do not download any of the files you may find associated with given terms).

Just tested 7zip deflate64 with ulta settings and it got the ns2 install folder down to a 43% ratio (With LZMAv2 it even went down to further 37%). So everything is fine ;)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    zip bomb sounds like a virus and 42 is the source of life?