Pre-update Discussion - Voice of the Deep

ChrisFoChrisFo Germany/Saxony Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214728Members
Tomorrow is the big update!
Are you excited? What do you think about it? Do you like it? What could be changed? Discuss below!

Countdown: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/voice-of-the-deep/

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Time to nuke the old save games and start again from the beginning. I always try to follow the cues they give with database entries, AI notifications and radio messages to check how well you get strung along the story line and game progression. It's a delicate balance between being too pushy and too neglectful in an open world with a somewhat linear story.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Very excited. Gonna start afresh and make my way (properly) to the ALZ for the first time. I've got a list of things ready I'll pay extra attention to, mostly in relation to the Cyclops and the lifepods, and I've got my evening reserved to get nice, thorough start.
  • scalienscalien Join Date: 2017-05-16 Member: 230565Members
    Very excited as well.

I looking forward to diving back into the ocean again and dodging stalkers tomorrow evening. I've been trying to avoid spoilers (impossible) and look forward to experiencing the end of the story arc.

I have 3 base locations planned plus more I want to locate as I explore. I played through what was available with one tank and I'm looking forward to having more air coming up.

I hope the scanner room has some love in this patch.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    scalien wrote: »
    I hope the scanner room has some love in this patch.
    There will be a lot of changes in this release. However, the only change in Experimental so far for the Scanner Room is the icons for its Fabricator outputs have been updated.
  • iron_fist_organicsiron_fist_organics Pueblo Join Date: 2017-06-20 Member: 231206Members
    I love this game. Making the scanner room 2 times larger would increase the usefulness by a factor of 5 and I liked the idea of battery powered lighted pipes, but maybe make the joint bulbs the lit portion. Then it would be more useful for navigation, even at night. And I thought the training of stalkers was an awesome feature even if only minimally useful. Maybe expand on that for multiplayer, like training the poison manatee to defend and not attack you. And team training large creatures like maybe the crabsnakes. I love this game so much. It was surprisingly terrifying to explore the depths at all. So awesome!
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    If only I could run the game...Like I can run other games bigger than Subnautica just fine, but subnautica needs some performance work, which I will be waiting for...for three months...
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I can't wait for the small quality-of-life changes they added in Experimental, such as Creepvine Seeds being 1x1 size and the SeaGlide being reduced to 2x3 size. This along with a smarter (IMO) airtank system will make traversing the underwater depths a lot simpler and more interesting. :blush:

Hopefully also some of the kinks regarding the Cyclops will be fixed tomorrow - mainly the infinitely spawning Fire Extinguisher and crafting infinite amounts of the Cyclops Pressure Compensator.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Very excited as well, even though I am not going to be playing it. I stopped a couple of weeks ago, to keep myself fresh for when the game launches, but I still do follow SN Trello and the forums here, obviously. It's awesome to see all these new features implemented and I can only hope I'll manage to resist the temptation to update and play...
  • SkirvyDogSkirvyDog California Join Date: 2017-06-21 Member: 231218Members
    Will I need to make a new save after the patch launches to play the new content or will it load into existing saves?
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    ...changes they added in Experimental, such as Creepvine Seeds being 1x1 size....
    In Experimental, Creepvine Seed Clusters are still 2x2. But 1 CVS makes 2 Silicone Rubber or 1 Lubricant.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    I've seen something really, really sad on Yuutube thanks to IGP ....

In short
    Damn it, Devs, give us the ability to make a powerful medicine to restore the Sea Emperor; it's so damn sad seeing her laying down like that!

Maybe that could be some alternate solution or ending. You could
    choose to hatch her eggs - which she is most happy about - choose to restore her strength but not hatch her eggs, for which she is grateful but sort of disappointed, too, or hatch her eggs but then make a restorative for her, too!
  • ChrisFoChrisFo Germany/Saxony Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214728Members
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited June 2017
    SkirvyDog wrote: »
    Will I need to make a new save after the patch launches to play the new content or will it load into existing saves?

The advice is to start afresh, but updates always work on old saves, though there are things that might not be brought over right. The fresher the save file, the better the merge.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    So the update, which is supposed to be out today, is the final end game update? Am I correct?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Myrm wrote: »
    So the update, which is supposed to be out today, is the final end game update? Am I correct?

It's the final content update before 1.0, between then and now is polish & performance work (while we're working on the rocket for 1.0 as well).
    Cool, thanks Obraxis :smile:
  • ChrisFoChrisFo Germany/Saxony Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214728Members
    Yep, it's just pinged up on my Steam client. The final end game (with the exception of the "spit & polish" of course :smile: )
    edited June 2017
    Woohoo! New update, new toys! :blush: I'm really curious as to what the "Precursor Pipes" are for...

EDIT: Wow!! The new PDA interface and tooltips are so shiny now... Kudos to whoever did the work; the interface looks amazing now! Whoever rearranged the "Blueprints" tab deserves a raise - the old layout has bothered me for so long now. :open_mouth:

Also I'm curious: from a technical standpoint - how does the dev team make those sweet "motion banners" at the top of their update pages? The Voice of the Deep banner looks really cool, but so far my favorite has been the banner on the Castles and Coffee update. If it were possible I would love to import them somehow as a screensaver. :love:
    Oh WOW, I didnt realize it until now, but the Flares with their headache-inducing red glare? They're a beautiful white soft glow now, this makes exploring at night SO much more enjoyable... Thank you so much, dev team! :bawling:
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    Yep, it's just pinged up on my Steam client. The final end game (with the exception of the "spit & polish" of course :smile: )

I wouldn't call it the final end game. You only get to the juvenile emperors that can produce the cure. But the process of curing should still have to be done. And you can't leave the planet without the rocket that is held back. I'd rather say the next update will be story and feature complete.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Man, the game looks gorgeous on PC. I really hope they get the Unity stuff sorted for Xbox soon so us console folks can get the full experience from the game. Performance and glitch issues aside, I still play this a ton.
    edited June 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Oh WOW, I didnt realize it until now, but the Flares with their headache-inducing red glare? They're a beautiful white soft glow now, this makes exploring at night SO much more enjoyable... Thank you so much, dev team! :bawling:
    For a while, there were a LOT more Crashfish Plants and I'm overflowing with Cave Sulphur now. And if you drop or throw the Flares, they don't burn out but light forever.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Whoa whoa whoa, whoa.

Whoa.

Guys.

You get 2 Silicone Rubbers from one Creepvine Seed Cluster now!

Lubricant only requires one Cluster!

This is HUGE
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I still don't know how were getting silicone from a plant.
  • beyondanytherapybeyondanytherapy Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227937Members
    Oh man.. I just started a new game with the update. I cannot count how many times I have said "Oh my god, I love this game all over again!"
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    sayerulz wrote: »

Obviously because it's an alien plant...duh.

However, if you want a more scientific answer I went onto Wikipedia and it mentioned that,"Silica is deposited in many plant tissues, such as in the bark and wood of Chrysobalanaceae and the silica cells and silicified trichomes of Cannabis sativa, horsetails and many grasses."

So it could stand to reason that Creepvine filters silicon into its clusters.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    DarthOmnis wrote: »
    sayerulz wrote: »

Obviously because it's an alien plant...duh.

However, if you want a more scientific answer I went onto Wikipedia and it mentioned that,"Silica is deposited in many plant tissues, such as in the bark and wood of Chrysobalanaceae and the silica cells and silicified trichomes of Cannabis sativa, horsetails and many grasses."

So it could stand to reason that Creepvine filters silicon into its clusters.

But if were simply processing silica into silicone, we should be able to use quartz or even sand, and in fact sorting through the creepvine to find a few specks of silica would be probably the least efficient source of it on the planet. And as for it being an alien plant... well, we can eat it, so I'm pretty sure that rules out it having a composition that is radically different enough from anything on earth that it incorporates silicone into it's structure.

It's pretty clear that what were using is not in fact silicone at all, but rather some form of natural rubber-like substance, based on carbon, not silicon, but the dev's cant be bothered to change the name from "silicone" to rubber.
  • wolverine2710wolverine2710 Join Date: 2017-05-07 Member: 230309Members
    edited June 2017
    I'm really exited about this new update. To bad my seamoth exploded a while ago due to a strange hull depth bug and apparently my prison key (blue artifact) was in there. OR it has spontaneously disappeared. Either way I can't get in the prison. There is some protection going on with the console. Whenever I try to type precursorkey_blue halfway the console disappears. Works fine with other commands/items..... Should someone have an idea..... After playing 160+ hours I can't stand the idea of starting over at this point ;-(

Can't create a new thread (have to wait 1 day and post once - hereby done).
  • El_HadschiEl_Hadschi Join Date: 2016-11-28 Member: 224316Members
    I'm really exited about this new update. To bad my seamoth exploded a while ago due to a strange hull depth bug and apparently my prison key (blue artifact) was in there. OR it has spontaneously disappeared. Either way I can't get in the prison. There is some protection going on with the console. Whenever I try to type precursorkey_blue halfway the console disappears. Works fine with other commands/items..... Should someone have an idea..... After playing 160+ hours I can't stand the idea of starting over at this point ;-(

Can't create a new thread (have to wait 1 day and post once - hereby done).

If you clean the cache, shouldnt the blue artifact respawn at its origin location?