Bigger Submarine Concept - My own 3D model

Comments

• jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    I think its a really cool idea, but wouldn't it be kinda hard to use with its being so big?

It's actually been reduced a ton from the original. The original was massive!
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    the cyclops is like one of those really big and cool rvs that has a ramp and backdoor for your atv the seamoth is like an atv (im not sure what to say about the prawn suit) atlas is like a bigger and fancier one that lets you bring the wife's atv also
  • mistermanbruhmistermanbruh netherlands Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225293Members
    doing something here! send IGP a link to this forum and asked him to do a video about it, so it will get more attention, and the devs will actualy nééd to add it
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    doing something here! send IGP a link to this forum and asked him to do a video about it, so it will get more attention, and the devs will actualy nééd to add it

Wat
  • MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members
    sorry guys for the delay, but i was quite busy. In fact this is the very end of my school year, we have to finish our project and present, i have also had to make renders of my best 3D models to maybe get into the artbook of my school. And finally, i have almost finish the diffuse map (is missing just the antennas) but i have completely redo the ambiant occlusion map with a new technique. It is cleaner now, but the borders are messed up so i have to fix all of that, and that takes me a lot of time. But the good news it that for the renders i have to do for my 3d models, I have just learnt to use a new software, marmoset, which is a real time rendering engine. It is very easy to use, and it give really quickly a great render of your 3d model. Therefore i will put much fancier images of the Atlas in the future! :D

@Ragnos @Micah2DaMax
    Yes the atlas is bigger but not that much. In the previous post i have actually given its real size, and it's not even 1.5x bigger than the Cyclops :p And it was meant to be bigger that the Cyclops anyway, you just have to play it differently ^^

@Henning
    I absolutely don't know how this technique works ^^ but it would be cool indeed :)

@mistermanbruh
    Thanks man! Support is always appreciated, but i think that IGP got other things to do ^^
  • mistermanbruhmistermanbruh netherlands Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225293Members
    Minder wrote: »

@mistermanbruh
    Thanks man! Support is always appreciated, but i think that IGP got other things to do ^^

well kinda would love something like this, he siad in 6 of his videos (i counted it). so i think he will...
    Okay guys, i'm back with new rendered images!!!
    So i did everything on marmoset witch is a very cool software. The final display is way better, and should be closer to what it will looks like in the game with Unity. I don't have normals mirror problems and everything, so it will takes less time, and i won't have to double the resolution of the texture!
    and got check it out on artstation to see it with the marmoset viewer (it is below the pictures)! : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RZgEE

But anyway, just look at those fancies pictures! :D

that peeper is so goddamn great!!
    edited June 2017
    *sheds tear*
    It's beautiful...
    (I'm literally speechless...)
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    That's really great !
  • TheRaccoonTheRaccoon Australia Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228921Members
    its looks so fabulous! you've done a really good job with the texturing to make it beutiful!
    one suggestion: maybe change the peeper to a reefback as a symbol of the huge size of this sub (not that the peeper is bador anything!). Also, the dark spots along the blue line towards the top could pehaps be little windows to the inside? just to add some natural light or a bit of ambience.
    otherwise this sub is amazing! :smiley:
  • NickHowler337NickHowler337 Malaysia Join Date: 2017-03-28 Member: 229250Members
    Oh...my...water gun...word.
    I just wanted to clarify something. I was just texturing the model while i just saw the quality of the texture in the marmoset viewer when you zoom in. I don't know why but the texture should be 2 times better resolution, so don't worry, it doesn't actually looks that bad. I will put some close up pictures of the details when i will finish everyhing on the exterior. Furthermore, i had to scale down the resolution of the normal map (because generate a 8192*4096 normal map is really difficult for my computer ^^) but i will try to fix that aswell :)

And again thank you guys for the feedbacks! We really see the progress of the project and you really help me to stay motivated! :D

And in fact, the peeper logo on the side of the Atlas is just for fun ^^ i can easily remove it if you don't think it would fit in the game :)
    @TheRaccoon i don't clearly see the area you are talking about, but anyway, i don't want to put windows, first because there are none on the concept art and because the Cyclops doesn't have one either, in general a submarine doesn't have windows.
    what if the peeper on the side would be custimizable? just like the colors?
    I just wanted to clarify something. I was just texturing the model while i just saw the quality of the texture in the marmoset viewer when you zoom in. I don't know why but the texture should be 2 times better resolution, so don't worry, it doesn't actually looks that bad. I will put some close up pictures of the details when i will finish everything on the exterior. Furthermore, i had to scale down the resolution of the normal map (because generate a 8192*4096 normal map is really difficult for my computer ^^) but i will try to fix that as well :)

And again thank you guys for the feedback! We really see the progress of the project and you really help me to stay motivated! :D

And in fact, the peeper logo on the side of the Atlas is just for fun ^^ i can easily remove it if you don't think it would fit in the game :)
    @TheRaccoon i don't clearly see the area you are talking about, but anyway, i don't want to put windows, first because there are none on the concept art and because the Cyclops doesn't have one either, in general a submarine doesn't have windows.

you are somewhat correct, submarines meant for combat will not have windows or even portholes as the glass probably will not survive being depth-charged, scientific subs like the ones used to reach extreme depths like down near the titanic will have a few 1-3 extremely small and thick windows/portholes, a tourist sub that doesn't go that deep will have more windows as well as a large window for navigation/ passenger viewing
    I just wanted to clarify something. I was just texturing the model while i just saw the quality of the texture in the marmoset viewer when you zoom in. I don't know why but the texture should be 2 times better resolution, so don't worry, it doesn't actually looks that bad. I will put some close up pictures of the details when i will finish everything on the exterior. Furthermore, i had to scale down the resolution of the normal map (because generate a 8192*4096 normal map is really difficult for my computer ^^) but i will try to fix that as well :)

And again thank you guys for the feedback! We really see the progress of the project and you really help me to stay motivated! :D

you are somewhat correct, submarines meant for combat will not have windows or even portholes as the glass probably will not survive being depth-charged, scientific subs like the ones used to reach extreme depths like down near the titanic will have a few 1-3 extremely small and thick windows/portholes, a tourist sub that doesn't go that deep will have more windows as well as a large window for navigation/ passenger viewing

Well thats awesome, but why on 4546B are we talking about the atlas being millitary, passenger, or private?
  • NickHowler337NickHowler337 Malaysia Join Date: 2017-03-28 Member: 229250Members
    edited June 2017

Well thats awesome, but why on 4546B are we talking about the atlas being millitary, passenger, or private?

To figure out why on 4546B did people make it.
    it is an observation i made biased on the draconis which doesn't appear to have any windows and would require all navagation to be by sonar, to me this is more militaryish to me then the Atlas/Beluga and cyclops has one large window in the front for navigation
    it is an observation i made biased on the draconis which doesn't appear to have any windows and would require all navagation to be by sonar, to me this is more militaryish to me then the Atlas/Beluga and cyclops has one large window in the front for navigation

the draconis doe have windoes right? those things on the side?

the draconis "does" have "windows" right? those things on the side?
    :s

??? what things are you talking about

latest?cb=20170109002620
  • The_PunslingerThe_Punslinger The United States Join Date: 2017-06-08 Member: 231008Members
    Very nice design work on that sub! :)
    edited June 2017
    Wrong sub @mistermanbruh , would love to see the 3D model of the ACTUAL draconis tho.
    Wrong sub @mistermanbruh , would love to see the 3D model of the ACTUAL draconis tho.

this is the ACTUAL AND ONLY 3D model
    Trivia i found on wiki http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Vehicles
    The original vehicle plans for Subnautica saw the player have access to two small subs, two medium-sized subs, and one or two large subs. Concept Art exists for these other submarines. Ultimately, the Cyclops, prioritized for its "civilian" look, took up so much time that more subs that don't truly add new gameplay were considered a bad investment of resources and scrapped

apparently the cyclops is a medium sub with the draconis and the beluga are large subs that were abandoned because the cyclops took too long

perhaps the devs will use minders atlas if he finishes it i wonder what their plan for the interior was
  • WeegeemanWeegeeman Canada, BC Join Date: 2017-04-21 Member: 229823Members
    I really like how smooth the model looks.

After looking at the concept art for the submarines, I was REALLY hoping that the devs would consider adding the Draconis or the Beluga.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Well, the coding for the Cyclops could be re-used for the other subs probably, so maybe we'll get it in the expansion if / when we get that?
    Weegeeman wrote: »
    I really like how smooth the model looks.

After looking at the concept art for the submarines, I was REALLY hoping that the devs would consider adding the Draconis or the Beluga.

Well the draconis is too,
    darned large.
    edited June 2017
    *goes on computer*
    *checks for any update on submarine*
    *checks again in five seconds*

*update comes out*
    *starts hyperventilating*

Edit: I just checked again...
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Well, the coding for the Cyclops could be re-used for the other subs probably, so maybe we'll get it in the expansion if / when we get that?

i would say reused but modified
This discussion has been closed.