Do Enemies Respawn?

MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
As per title. Having caught a glimpse of the sheer amount of titanium sitting behind the engines of the Aurora, I'm considering taking a Prawn there and killing the reaper that guards that area. If I do, will it stay dead?

Comments

• KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    I don't believe so. That said, it you can build a prawn you're likely best doing what I did and just taking a seamoth, reinforced dive suit and perimeter defence system and jumping and tasing the git whenever he comes near.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    Yeah, the whole "in and out of the Seamoth" thing annoys me, and the Prawn has much higher carrying capacity. I need enough titanium for like... 11 ingots, I think? So I would rather put the work into killing that bastard so that I can use the Prawn to gather in peace. :)
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    The left side of the Aurora has plenty of scrap metal to be found, and much fewer reapers. I do plan to make a trip behind aurora with Prawn suit, as a test.
  • SoulfreezeSoulfreeze cali Join Date: 2017-06-05 Member: 230950Members
    Can't post for a day, so hijacking thread. Is the seamoth mod station in the running silent version. I have the moon pool and cyclops but no mod station for seamoth. thx
    @narfblat Yes, I know... I already used it all. T_T
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I usually just avoid Reaper territory until I come back with top ass equipment.

Then my next strategy is to simply pick up everything near him only watching the beast if it's near and risking to get caught with my reinforced diving suit or Seamoth. Which usually never happens, as I use the scanner room HUD for fast pickups and the ultra fast swimming equipment. For emergency cases I have the stasis rifle. But usually I use it more for things like scanning a leviathan. Most time I just pick up and get away with my Seamoth before he gets back.

In your case and for this location and resources that would mean taking the Cyclops near and doing quick expeditions with the Seamoth. This should be faster than the Prawn. If the Reaper is guarding something too closely, you could stasis him.

The other possibility is to arm yourself with a propulsion weapon and shoot him with things that kills him (I think I heard of someone who killed a Sea Dragon with acid shrooms, you might want to try the fastest kill recipe for the Reaper). After being killed it should take a while for respawns. Which is the other reason to come with the Cyclops: By the time the creature respawns, you have gotten all the resources into the Cyclops containers.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    They're not "enemies" though where pacifist UWE/Alterra is concerned :tongue:
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    They're not "enemies" though where pacifist UWE/Alterra is concerned :tongue:

But I think killing for eating/survival still counts as being pacifist, hmm?

So all we need are tasty leviathan recipes:
    • Reaper rips (only 10 rads, so harmless)
    • Ghost jelly (almost without acid and your vision will return from Xray in less than a minute after eating)
    • Dragon steak (burning hot, but you can touch it with your reinforced gloves ... and drink a lot afterwards)
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    From my probably very unlucky experience (since it happened every time, but may be just me), the enemies can spawn after executing some sort of action. With me, every time I was done exploring Aurora, usually in one go, all the times I left it using the same way I accessed it, though a big "hole"( let's call it that, it is a big enough space on the surface to fit a Seamoth, between two pillars of metal on Aurora's left side), all the I returned to the Lifepod 5, unless I was hugging Aurora's hull ( sometimes it didn't work) a Reaper would appear on the Mushroom Trees near Aurora. If I was going towards Aurora, and passed near Lifepod 4, a Reaper appeared.

I don't know if enemies respawn, but I can say, based on what I've experienced, enemies can spawn if you done something, or passed through something. This is different if said region already had a similar enemy before - on on that case I pointed, the region didn't have enemies, then a Reaper appeared when I left Lifepod 4 or left Aurora after my tour,
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    When you leave the Aurora, after going through that "big hole" to the left, immediately go to the surface, then head for your base.

The Leviathans don't usually come to the surface unless they have already spotted you and are giving chase.

B)
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    @DaveyNY that is the thing that works most of the times. Now, as to why I never happened on a Reaper while going to Aurora doing that path (staying away from Lifepod 4), well, I'm convinced at this point that is a scripted spawn.
    Guys, guys, thank you for all the advice, but you are missing part of the point.

I also really want to kill a reaper. :P
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Reaper killing does sound fun, give it a try. As far as the scrap metal goes, I often seem to get more spawning around the aurora; I know it's not old stuff because I see it falling toward the bottom in areas I've already been. It may be a bug on my end (or maybe you're supposed to get more srcap falling from the aurora, I don't know for sure).
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited June 2017
    The scrap metal has been respawning like that all over the place for at least the last couple of updates.

I figure it's because the Aurora is still burning heavily and probably has pockets of "explodables" throughout what's left of the ship.
    B)
  • SansTheSkelebroSansTheSkelebro Italy Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216071Members
    Yes, all creatures respawn
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Yes, all creatures respawn

In my experience, all creatures DE-Spawn. Shortly after I first equip my Seamoth with a Perimeter Defense System, I frequently cannot find a Reaper Leviathan anywhere in the ocean. Either they are smart enough to know I'm ARMED and stay in hiding. Or, they de-spawn. :)
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited June 2017
    1. Reaper is immortal. Spend 3 hours banging it on the head with a knife(half an inventory of batteries). Hit box is smaller then a peeper while the rest of it has no collisions of any kind, hence the whole goes thru ground and other b/s. Unless it changed recently you can't kill it. Hell ampeel was immortal last time I tried to get rid of one. Crabsquids aren't tho. What can and can't be killed is all over the place.
    2. Things don't respawn, period. Eat all the peepers and air sack fish in shallows near your pod... the area will be desolate. Been at the point where shallows looked deserted enough times.
    3. Clearing cache files will get things back but that is not an actual mechanic. It's a band aid for a long standing issue that has the added benefit of respawning things.

If you want to repopulate an area you have to do it the hard way. Alien containment and grow stuff yourself.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    You're not on a legacy build by chance, HiSaZul? Or did they make it go back the way it was forever ago? Everything should respawn now and reapers have been killable, it just takes something like 350 hits with the knife. Unless that was changed with the last update...
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    2. Things don't respawn, period. Eat all the peepers and air sack fish in shallows near your pod... the area will be desolate. Been at the point where shallows looked deserted enough times.
    Things have to respawn when you travel distances. AFAIK, only leviathan class beasties are recorded and maintained at a distance. Each area otherwise has a list of fauna to spawn when you go there, including the shallows. It's like the graphics drawing up features as you approach. Same is done with the fauna.
  • scalienscalien Join Date: 2017-05-16 Member: 230565Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    Things have to respawn when you travel distances. AFAIK, only leviathan class beasties are recorded and maintained at a distance. Each area otherwise has a list of fauna to spawn when you go there, including the shallows. It's like the graphics drawing up features as you approach. Same is done with the fauna.

This is my experience as well. Safe shallows around my pod never recovered from my hunting streaks, no matter how far from the (3000 meters at one point, exploring the void beyond the Aurora) lifepod I was before I returned.

What you say makes sense, and I accept that is how it should work, but in the 3 games I've played around with since the end of April have all been the same. My first jump in has fish every where, by the time I tooling around with a cyclopes, very little besides but rabbit rays.
    scalien wrote: »
    Jacke wrote: »

This is my experience as well. Safe shallows around my pod never recovered from my hunting streaks, no matter how far from the (3000 meters at one point, exploring the void beyond the Aurora) lifepod I was before I returned.

What you say makes sense, and I accept that is how it should work, but in the 3 games I've played around with since the end of April have all been the same. My first jump in has fish every where, by the time I tooling around with a cyclopes, very little besides but rabbit rays.

^ Unless it was changed recently. I admit I'm too disappointed with the current state of the game atm to play, so haven't touched latest update. I've had saves with over 200 hours and safe shallows would turn into ghost town while I kept close gathering and building stuff. Now once you start clearing cache files because you explore... sure it all comes back but not on it's own even if 400+ ingame days pass nothing ever respawned. Yes the files indentified entities as spawns, but frankly majority of entities internally called spawns, doesn't mean anything.
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    I did not go to clean entirely the safe shallow, but I already saw the effect of 20h in the same save.
    Almost no more Bladderfish .. Like 5 min to grab 2 ..

Do I drink too much water ?
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Wiirlak wrote: »
    I did not go to clean entirely the safe shallow, but I already saw the effect of 20h in the same save.
    Almost no more Bladderfish .. Like 5 min to grab 2 ..

Do I drink too much water ?

you murdered an entire species near your lifepod?! Thats it im calling PETA! :cold_sweat::wink:
    I thought I remembered reading a patch note a while back involving things repopulating... was a little disappointing, because I actually kinda like the whole "human trying to survive extincts three different species of fish" angle. :P

I just wasn't sure if that applied to larger enemies or just food fish.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    MaxAstro wrote: »
    I thought I remembered reading a patch note a while back involving things repopulating... was a little disappointing, because I actually kinda like the whole "human trying to survive extincts three different species of fish" angle. :P

I just wasn't sure if that applied to larger enemies or just food fish.

That makes two of us. That is certainly an interesting angle and hidden message though.
    I'm a big fan of the Minecraft mod Better Than Wolves, which has very strong themes of "you are basically destroying the natural world in order to survive/grow in power". XD
    edited June 2017
    Glass box, plant inside, initial nutrient and soil + water. Seal the box. Decades later plant is still fine. Only thing that is consumed is sunlight.

Plants are very good at recycling... things going extinct on ocean planet because of one guy? I'm sorry... that is... just no. If you tried to eat all the fish out of 1 square km of ocean on a coral reef solo... you would grow old and die before you got anywhere with that. If natural predators left an area and it was left without any, new would move in, especially in ocean.

Gameplay wise I don't really know if it makes sense or not. From one perspective it gives meaning to the whole fish breeding process and something to do. On another it is not believable in case of small herbivores and even larger life forms. Huge things like reefbacks and leviathans sure.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    MaxAstro wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the Minecraft mod Better Than Wolves, which has very strong themes of "you are basically destroying the natural world in order to survive/grow in power". XD

Haven't heard about that mod in YEARS. Last time I thought of it was about... 4 years ago, when this video was made.
    @kingkuma It's changed massively since then. If you are a fan of hardcore survival games, it's worth taking a look at. I can say without any hesitation that Better Than Wolves is the most challenging single player survival game I've ever played. Don't Starve is fairly tame and forgiving in comparison. :P But the game is also unfailingly fair, and you pretty much only die because you made a mistake and deserved to die. xD

@HiSaZul I think IRL there would be a much higher density of life, though. The ocean in Subnautica is relatively barren in some ways...
    @MaxAstro Yep. Hence why I said I wasn't really sure what was better for the game. On one hand it just isn't very believable on the other hand it gives you something to do ala changing entirely what a biome looks like. Wipe safe shallows clean and then repopulate it with ampeels because why not :mrgreen: