Finding the PRAWN annoying to use...

Chris9183Chris9183 Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230526Members
I'm finding myself discouraged from using the PRAWN suit except in cases where I'm unable to use anything else (extreme depth/small places). The movement and operation of the suit seems clunky and is a bit frustrating (it likes to stand and dance for a few seconds before it settles, rendering you unable to do any kind of precision work without waiting a few seconds after moving, every time). There is a delay between clicking the arm and it actually performing the task you need, which makes collecting sinking resources a bit of a pain. It's also very strange and kindof annoying how you can't grab an item you've just pulled with the propulsion cannon like you can outside of the mech.

I'm hoping the devs have plans to revise the PRAWN suit in the future before release because right now as it is, I dread even having to use the PRAWN for anything. It doesn't feel epic or too useful like it should, imo.

Comments

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    The PRAWN really shines for resource extraction. With a drill arm, you can mine large resource deposits, meaning those copper and quartz shortages quickly become a thing of the past. But the PRAWN isn't for long-range exploration. It's a specialized tool for specific applications - deep, confined spaces; mining; beating the daylights out of cave crawlers - not a Swiss Army sub. :)
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I'd still like to see the ExoSuit become a Swiss Army sub.

Mod Level One: Remodel its lower arm assemblies to form turrets that can contain multiple tools.

Mod Level Two: Include a Builder tool, laser cutter and welder.

Mod Level Three: Add a Drill, repulsion cannon and grapples to both arms.

Still haven't found any earthly use for torpedo launchers. Add an EDF instead.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited May 2017
    After testing the Prawn for a very long time now (seeing lots of changes at that time), I think that the Prawn still needs a few tunings to make it an enjoyable tool. My observations:
    • By the time I usually find the Prawn recipes and can build the parts, I already have most of the resources I need and built most stuff. >> early scanner recipe to scan for fragments needed
    • Drilling costs more time than harvesting the single resources. Only needed if you have no resource scanner AND are new to the game. Exceptions are drill only resources like kyanite. >> faster drilling needed
    • Prawns could use the Precursor portal network to speed up global resource hunting late game after unlocking the PCF if it would really be a warp hub. Right now the warpnet is too disconnected. >> connect the PCF with the thermal plant too or allow bases to build warpgates.
    • The Prawn can dive beneath the acid streams, but there are no good secrets and deep caves hidden beyond the acid depths. >> a deeper tunnel system below the acid and more good secrets.
    • With the now even deadlier Warper and Sea Dragon, the Prawn is a bit slow (but he only has to fear these 2 enemies). The stasis rifle doesn't help against multiple enemies and the Prawn torpedos don't work against these enemies. >> allow jetpacks to speed up, make the Prawn topedos usable against the top enemies or add a decoy launcher arm.
    • I still can't understand why I can load an item into the Prawn propulsion arm and grab it from afar, but can't store it back to the cargo. >> fix needed
    • The Prawn is the only defense you have inside Precursors, yet there are only laughable spiders. >> how about deadly threats or enemies there? Or that moment when you laugh at that spider, when suddenly a few dozens come around the corner.

EDIT:
    I absolutely hate clipping with my Prawn feet and getting stuck through deep shrooms.
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    best being used along side the cyclops in tandem for long distance travel. i know its not really meant for precision work i prefer that over drowning and constantly refilling my airtank. my only gripe is the propulsion cannon not adding it to inventory and the drill arm's speed.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    For me, mining with the drill isn't about time spent gathering as it is time spent hunting - if I am away from my scanner room (or haven't bothered to set it for what I am searching for or w/e), finding a half dozen copper deposits takes me way longer than finding and drilling from a single copper node.

Copper especially is a big one for the Prawn, since in the late game you need SO MUCH copper and rocks have only a 1/3 chance of giving copper... plus a 1/3 chance of lead... which is used for like one thing... I have so much lead, can we please move lead to a different node? T_T

Anyway, I do agree that the Prawn's movement is janky, but the jankiness has kinda grown on me. It makes the Prawn feel "real" in a way - instead of feeling like I'm in a video game battlemech, I feel like I'm in an actual deep sea exosuit. It's awkward, slow, and imprecise in all the ways that it feels like a real exosuit would be.
  • JozrozJozroz Sweden Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230525Members
    I rather agree with @MaxAstro's point on the clumsiness of the suit; it adds to the immersive experience. It is, after all, heavy mining equipment, not really intended for surgical precision.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I just got the PRAWN in my current game. Not really having a good time getting around in it. Need more practice.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    The PRAWN requires practice. It takes a while until you know what bits you can walk over and what you have to walk around, how long to hold your jump jets to get to which height and what you can get up with one charge, how to best utilize the grappling hook and how to stagger jet bursts to get the farthest travel time into a drop.

It handles entirely different to the Seamoth, which I like. You have three vehicles and each requires their own skill set to handle well. Adds depth and variety to the game play.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    MaxAstro wrote: »
    For me, mining with the drill isn't about time spent gathering as it is time spent hunting - if I am away from my scanner room (or haven't bothered to set it for what I am searching for or w/e), finding a half dozen copper deposits takes me way longer than finding and drilling from a single copper node.

Copper especially is a big one for the Prawn, since in the late game you need SO MUCH copper and rocks have only a 1/3 chance of giving copper... plus a 1/3 chance of lead... which is used for like one thing... I have so much lead, can we please move lead to a different node? T_T

Anyway, I do agree that the Prawn's movement is janky, but the jankiness has kinda grown on me. It makes the Prawn feel "real" in a way - instead of feeling like I'm in a video game battlemech, I feel like I'm in an actual deep sea exosuit. It's awkward, slow, and imprecise in all the ways that it feels like a real exosuit would be.

The best place to find Copper is to follow the Sea Treaders.

The mineral nodes they stir up are mostly Copper.

B)
  • thatgrlgamer27thatgrlgamer27 Join Date: 2017-05-28 Member: 230803Members
    I'm on Xbox one so it may be a console issue, but I can only use the prawn suit for short periods of time as it seriously effects frame rate and it's wonky movements plus the way it moves all of the displayed markers up and down causing them to bounce all over the screen gives me motion sickness ( I preemptively turn all marker off now before I use it which helps a bit) and I have to pause the game and look elsewhere to calm my stomach several time while exploring in it.

I do not get motion sickness easily and it has never happened with a game before, I understand emersion and this being a heavy piece of mining equipment but the movement shouldn't induce vomiting
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    The one joy with the Prawn is to get a grapple assisted slingshot leap. When those happen you can eat distance like desert at an all you can eat buffett.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    On the contrary, the "one joy" with the Prawn is grappling a reaper and beating it to death with your exobiotically-enhanced bare hands.

...Slingshot jumps are nice too, though. :P
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »

Mod Level One: Remodel its lower arm assemblies to form turrets that can contain multiple tools.

Yes please! Being restricted to two arm types can be a pain.

Also, what's an EDF?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »

Yes please! Being restricted to two arm types can be a pain.

Also, what's an EDF?

I'm guessing an electrical perimeter defense like the Seamoth's. But just guessing.

@nesrak1 was working on a builder to attach to the PRAWN.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Totally forgot about it, but I was working on one and totally abandoned it.
    It's not impossible or anything.