Update 315 Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited May 2017 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 315 Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Summer is finally upon us and with that the forthcoming mighty Steam Sale. Sales usually bring in a lot of new faces to the game and over the years, we...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Oh hey, we didn't have one of these in a while.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I'm glad there will be less whining by overview.exe in the future.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hopefully we get to see more hmg's being used again.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Made wall walking less unpredictable for skulks

Skulks can sneak around sharp corners on the ceiling much more reliably now.
    What does that mean. What exactly has changed.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Spider Skulk, spider Skulk
    Does whatever a spider Skulk does...

• RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ehm where is my promised boneshield change?????
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hopefully we get to see more hmg's being used again.
    no. the total damage outcome is still the same. the weight is still the same and the jetpack fuel usage is still the same.
    the shotgun is still the most usefull weapon in all aspects

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2017
    Rammler wrote: »

Yeah, back of the line there buddy! Still waiting on my purple pants for my Fade here, as far back as when that dipshit was introduced in all his indecent glory :worried:
    and btw. the new menu update made the german menu full of english buttons:
    -Play
    -Search server Browser
    -Enter Arcade modes

And all the explanations are also english. I think some new players could have problems with that. we should make sure that in german or other languages the whole menu is written in the same language
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2017
    I guess I'll only start a game now from Steam server browser. The new dumbed down UI looks so cheap and unwieldy. The design is really weak:

- Look how big and inconsistent the "Play" button is now, as if anyone was going to miss the button.

- Why is there a "Training" button below "Play"? It's redundant. Why is there no quick access to "Server Browser" the same way?

- Why the hell is "Arcade" placed in the middle instead of the only important "Server Browser"?

- When opening the server browser there are still the tabs to switch to arcade and vice-versa. I choose "Server Browser" not "Arcade".

- Sorry I know you want to promote "Quick Play" but noone is going to use that. Especially when the fun NS2 provides is only playing on the servers and communities you know.

If new NS2 players really need that much handholding then I don't see any reason to even hop into this game occasionally anymore.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Rammler what the change to the HMG did was basically reducing the price of MG and buffing structure damage of MG
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited May 2017
    I think the play now menu looks good. It adds a nice look to the game. Doesn't hurt anything imo.

The machine gun - It's getting updates, but I agree these are probably going to be too subtle to make it better than a sg. What about making it unlock on advanced armory and increase speed to match gl?

Boneshield - would be nice to know if UWE wants to change this, and if they are currently looking into it.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited May 2017
    Omg, ceiling walking got some attention at last!

Let's see how it works ingame.

Edit: yes, it's now working! Skulk OP, pls nerf!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts

Skulks can walk vertically up a beam and easily transition to the ceiling without falling off.
    Previously it was dicey, and rather easy to just fall off unless you approached it just right.
    This is a QoL and newer player improvement, and through our testing doesn't impact higher level plays except in a very specific and rare edge case scenario.

@Rammler
    Translations will be added in going forward, unfortunately the translation team didn't have access or a heads up this patch, but it is known and will be done, as its already setup and compatible for translation.

Also, the MG change is for making it more useful against structures.
    Yes, I agree the MG still isn't in the best spot (and I'm not convinced it ever will be, due to the role it has, or at least not without making Exos all but useless) but this is at least a small improvement.

NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    Not sure why you keep shoving "Play Now" down our throats.
    Because this patch was supposed to ship out with a Match Seeding feature that had to be cut at the last minute, which would have tied in (and relied on) very nicely with that button.
    It's also part of a larger overhaul to the menu system that is occurring patch by patch, and coincides with our desire to showcase the Arcade tab more for modders.
    This is why there are redundant training buttons for the time being, for instance.

Eventually we hope the first menu you see will look like this:
    b5mw65T.png
    Which would roll into the newly added menu in this patch pretty well.

As for boneshield, it was never slated to be changed for this patch.. but it is one of our top priorities for the following patches. We should also be a lot faster pushing out the next few, as we've been testing multiple branches for the past months during each PT session.
    You'll be happy to know that we have a whole new automatic crash collector reporting system that will be going live pretty soon along with x64 bit.
    That will make it muuucchhh easier for us to determine how many are crashing and from what exactly, as the stack trace is automatically uploaded to a system of ours.

_INTER_ wrote: »
    - Why the hell is "Arcade" placed in the middle instead of the only important "Server Browser"?

- When opening the server browser there are still the tabs to switch to arcade and vice-versa. I choose "Server Browser" not "Arcade".

- Sorry I know you want to promote "Quick Play" but noone is going to use that. Especially when the fun NS2 provides is only playing on the servers and communities you know.
    Why does the placement of the Arcade button in comparison to the others matter that much? Whats the difference between having arcade to the right instead of the bottom?

We intentionally kept the ability to switch tabs in the server browser, but you'll notice that clicking the server browser button will never take you to the arcade tab by default, even if it was the last time you were looking at previously. (And vice versa with the Arcade button) There's no reason to have someone jump through more menus in order to get to where they want to go if they've changed their minds in a sub menu.

This new menu is about organizing and highlighting. As mentioned previously the Quick Play button was supposed to be used in conjunction with a Match Seeding feature that didn't make it in.. so while people do use that button already, (we have metrics for this) we have a feeling it'd be used even more if match seeding is tied to it.

Personally, I've never used the button instead of the server browser because I know where I want to go... BUT .. if it came with match seeding I'd probably use it, because I so often check the browser and after seeing no open servers and 14 other players searching at the top, I usually don't have the patience to wait around. Being immediately thrown into a server with those other 14 waiting players sounds like a much better option to me.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »

Skulks can walk vertically up a beam and easily transition to the ceiling without falling off.
    Previously it was dicey, and rather easy to just fall off unless you approached it just right.
    This is a QoL and newer player improvement, and through our testing doesn't impact higher level plays except in a very specific and rare edge case scenario.
    What has technically changed.

I can't tell exactly (because it's in the code). But now you don't fall when you have to look slightly down when stepping over some stuff on the ceilings.

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2229009#Comment_2229009

Now it's consistently possible to walk from one side of Ball Court to another on the ceiling without falling.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Yeah, back of the line there buddy! Still waiting on my purple pants for my Fade here, as far back as when that dipshit was introduced in all his indecent glory :worried:

Dude everyone knows orange pants are where it's at
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »

It just added an extra set of traces.
    edited May 2017
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Dude everyone knows orange pants are where it's at

Well, funny that you mention it, but we did have an infraction where @Hugh wore them, without permission from our Queen at the time, almost started an international incident between Aussieland and Dutchland :trollface: After careful consideration, he has been given permission to wear em since then!
  • MrStonedOneMrStonedOne Seattle Join Date: 2013-12-19 Member: 190297Members
    So now every time i launch ns2, i have to do 3 mouse clicks instead of 2 to get to the only fucking server I play.

Like holy shit, why?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! I only play on one server, I don't give two rats ass about the arcade, or the other servers, or training, I just want to play on TGNS.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited May 2017
    They probably could have just added a server browser option under the big play button. So yeah. I do like the menu though. I hope the server browser gets updated soon and looks good as well.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Infestation still looks like 2002... sheesh
    edited May 2017
    So now every time i launch ns2, i have to do 3 mouse clicks instead of 2 to get to the only fucking server I play.

Like holy shit, why?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! I only play on one server, I don't give two rats ass about the arcade, or the other servers, or training, I just want to play on TGNS.

Maybe use the Steam server browser: View -> Servers. Still several clicks.
    Infestation still looks like 2002... sheesh

As if, original NS infestation was stuff of legends man, hand built and in a glorious 256x256 resolution!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    boomski! havent done that since cs 1.0 - 1.3 days.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2017
    Looking at trello, the next update should be awesome. Some good stuff was left out this patch