Game won't stop lagging

mggk1234mggk1234 California Join Date: 2017-04-25 Member: 229953Members
Hi there I've been playing subnautica for a couple weeks now and it's been fine, but then out of no where the game drops to like 1 frame a second and I can't move and it's been like that for the past couple days. Plzzzzzzzzz help idk how to get it to be normal again.

Comments

• DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    Unfortunately Subnautica is not the most optimized game out there right now, more so for the XB1 version.
  • Dutchman141Dutchman141 the Netherlands Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216936Members
    This game is a mess, has been from the beginning, save problems, incredible lag, floating artifacts you name it and this game has it or had it.
    I know it's a preview early access game but it's by far the worst I've ever seen.
    Better to leave it until a 1.0 release version comes out, just to save you a lot of frustration.

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The main problem is xbox's horribly slow hard drive. Hopefully, Scorpio will come with an SSD option, which would basically fix the problem (this does wonders for loading times/lag on PC). Until then, UWE is continuing to work to make the content stream better.

AFAIK the major save game issues have been resolved on xbox.
  • ShotoutShotout Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224576Members
    Just curious about the technical aspects;
    Are we talking RPMs, access time, throughput, on board drive buffers (oops that was IDE)?
    A Motherbord limitation?

I've been looking at ways to double or triple my internal HD from .5 TB to 1 to 3TB (current Win 10 limit?).
    Unfortunately any user methodologies seem to be unsanctioned by MS.
    I really dont want to use a 'hacked' XBOX.

I've read about using an external HD (XBOX Green HD) or an SSD, but that uses an external bus.
    How can an external bus (USB) be faster or offer better throughput?
    It's external!

Anyway, if MS was ever going to offer upgraded internal drives we should have heard about it by now.
    Ever since the XBOX Mark 1 was released (yes I stil have one) the drive couldn't be modified,
    or replaced if damaged.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Shotout wrote: »
    Just curious about the technical aspects;
    Are we talking RPMs, access time, throughput, on board drive buffers (oops that was IDE)?
    A Motherbord limitation?

I've been looking at ways to double or triple my internal HD from .5 TB to 1 to 3TB (current Win 10 limit?).
    Unfortunately any user methodologies seem to be unsanctioned by MS.
    I really dont want to use a 'hacked' XBOX.

I've read about using an external HD (XBOX Green HD) or an SSD, but that uses an external bus.
    How can an external bus (USB) be faster or offer better throughput?
    It's external!

Anyway, if MS was ever going to offer upgraded internal drives we should have heard about it by now.
    Ever since the XBOX Mark 1 was released (yes I stil have one) the drive couldn't be modified,
    or replaced if damaged.

Get an external USB 3.0 SSD (or internal 2.5" SATA SSD and USB 3.0 hard disk enclosure, same thing) -- you might not get more throughput, but SSDs offer almost instant access time, which is key when scanning through a bunch of small files, as there's no mechanical head to seek on the drive. You probably don't even need that large of an SSD either, 120 to 250 GB should be fine. Put all of your storage that needs speeding up on the SSD. Now, if you could actually swap out the main hard disk with an SSD, it would benefit the whole system, but I think that also voids your warranty etc. Anyways, here's a video guide for using an external SSD and moving your games to them:

( link in case it doesn't auto-link)
  • ShotoutShotout Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224576Members
    Thanks I have several ext USB 3 drives, I'll swap 1 to test methodology.
  • hallower1980hallower1980 Texas Join Date: 2016-07-16 Member: 220321Members
    I've had Subnautica on Xbox One since it became available. If it ran smoothly, I would love it. But after so many months it's clear to me that the game will never be capable of smooth play on XB1. It's a PC game and the devs just aren't willing to downgrade the graphics enough to run smoothly on lesser hardware.

It will probably run okay on Scorpio. Along with other ports from PC, it will prove Microsoft wrong that everything on Scorpio will also be playable on XB1. It's not playable.
  • winerdarwinerdar Join Date: 2017-02-22 Member: 228141Members
    I've had Subnautica on Xbox One since it became available. If it ran smoothly, I would love it. But after so many months it's clear to me that the game will never be capable of smooth play on XB1. It's a PC game and the devs just aren't willing to downgrade the graphics enough to run smoothly on lesser hardware.

It will probably run okay on Scorpio. Along with other ports from PC, it will prove Microsoft wrong that everything on Scorpio will also be playable on XB1. It's not playable.

The devs will smooth input performance wise at the end. Optimization and minor bug fixing always happens at the later stages of development after everything is in place.

I agree with others that the slow hard drive is the culprit since all the lag revolves around loading textures, terrains and other assets. I haven't done any testing with an SSD myself.
  • Dutchman141Dutchman141 the Netherlands Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216936Members
    Blaming the Xbox hdd is total bs, there are plenty texture rich games on Xbox that run perfectly normal.
    I had realy hight hopes when I bought this in early access but it's the one purchase I regret the most.
    It's one thing after the other or even stacking on top of each other, save corruptions, lags, crashes, you name it, and now it starts all over again by implementing a new engine.
    I've bought plenty of early access games, knowing they're not done yet, almost all of them progress in terms of playability accept subnautica.
    A lot of the posters here praise the devs on their great work, I'm gonna save that praise untill I have a game that I can actually play because right now it's nothing more then a concept.

I hope the devs will pull it off to get subnautica to an acceptable level of playability on Xbox, it would be a shame to see this go south in the end.
    Untill then I won't install or recommend anyone to buy this game.
    Blaming the Xbox hdd is total bs, there are plenty texture rich games on Xbox that run perfectly normal.

Pray tell; how many of those did you play while they were in the "Game Preview" aka Early Access stage? Go ahead, make a list, I'm waiting.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Pray tell; how many of those did you play while they were in the "Game Preview" aka Early Access stage? Go ahead, make a list, I'm waiting.

Ark
    Elite Dangerous
    Everspace
    Astroneer

Just to name view.
    SSD performance on Xbox One is higly over rated, I have a 1gb SSD and it just doesn't make that much difference.
    The initial startup times from some games are a bit quicker but that's it.
    I've tried Subnautica on the SSD but it didn't help in the slightest, not that it helped much for other games though.
    The only game I notice having quite some benefit from a SSD is Starpoint Gemini 2 but not phenomenal.

When a dev can't manage to get a game running properly (yet) then don't blame the hardware, blame the dev for wanting to much or lacking in optimization.
    Every dev of Xbox One games have to deal with the same hardware, if the hardware was failing then not a single game would run properly.

• nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited May 2017
    SSD performance on Xbox One is higly over rated, I have a 1gb SSD and it just doesn't make that much difference.
    I've tried Subnautica on the SSD but it didn't help in the slightest, not that it helped much for other games though,
    xLFz9TC.png
    Not to mention, but after putting subnautica on an ssd from an hdd I got this. (pc)
    Yeah, Ark had framerate issues but they fixed it or at least improved performance with each update, not something I see happening here.
    I don't even want to discuss this untill the game is ready, it just runs like ..... and has been doing so since it came out in gamepreview on Xbox.
    I hope the final release will run fine, I truly do because it's a fantastic game, I'm just being realistic that's all.

By mentioning my 1GB SSD I meant 1TB, my mistake, it was probably realy hard to see that mistake since there are so many 1GB SSDs out there.

Yeah, Ark had framerate issues but they fixed it or at least improved performance with each update, not something I see happening here.
    I don't even want to discuss this untill the game is ready, it just runs like ..... and has been doing so since it came out in gamepreview on Xbox.
    I hope the final release will run fine, I truly do because it's a fantastic game, I'm just being realistic that's all.

By mentioning my 1GB SSD I meant 1TB, my mistake, it was probably realy hard to see that mistake since there are so many 1GB SSDs out there.

Actually I assumed it was an early hybrid SSD (most have at least 8GB of SSD cache nowadays though). I'm pretty sure most Game Preview games have terrible performance for at least a year. Subnautica was released on XB1 May 17, 2016, and wouldn't you know, the polishing months are right around the corner... So I'd say within 3 months you should have huge improvements in performance. Which seems to be about on par with other games that have been in preview. :shrug:
  • thatgrlgamer27thatgrlgamer27 Join Date: 2017-05-28 Member: 230803Members
    So this may already be here somewhere, but just in case it isn't, you can clear the Xbox cache and for me it helped the lag i.e. it went from almost unplayable to just kinda crappy...not perfect but it was an improvement

1. Hold down power button until Xbox shuts down (hard reset).
    2. Unplug power brick from back of console for a few seconds ( I wait 30 seconds but I'm an overachiever)
    3. I also unplugged the brick from the outlet cord, but the instructions I found did not say this was necessary, but again I'm an overachiever.

Hope this helps others. Like I said this DOES NOT ELIMINATE LAG. It did, however, improve the excessive lag occuring in my game.
  • DasBluEyedDevilDasBluEyedDevil Join Date: 2017-07-02 Member: 231527Members
    Ark still stutters all to piss. This game has FPS drops to the point I can't catch fish to eat atm. That being said, I am not upset by this (other than the fact that I wanna play :-( ) because I know optimization comes AFTER content. You guys bought into a game that is still in development. Do some research on the dev process. These devs are open about their progress, known issues, etc, which is WAY more than many devs offer. I have actual faith in these guys, and I love this bloody game. If you do too, have some patience and let them work. If you can't be patient, give the gam a break until 1.0 and the optimization sweep has been completed.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We do indeed have a lot of work to do on Xbox performance (And Steam, too). I am sorry that you aren't getting good frames, @mggk1234. Improvements will continue to come incrementally: Little improvements in each update, steadily accumulating over time. We will get there. Current performance is completely unacceptable and we won't settle for it.
  • RoyalMontageRoyalMontage Yo mama Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231611Members
    edited July 2017
    I don't know if the devs will see this, but i think i've figured out the problem. its the way the speed you're going at combined with the loading time and the render distance. if the loading time and render distance are increased (because on PC the render distance is farther than on xbox one). and i think that the playtime affects it, too. i just started a hardcore round and it hardly lags at all. i've only been playing for 5 minutes on that one. now my survival... i have 2 days and 17 hours on it (yes, i have a life). my survival lags a lot. the game lags when loading and despawning things. if the load time was increased and the terrain and wrecks etc. wouldn't despawn as soon as you moved a couple meters away from them and instead despawned when out of your sight, i think the game would have a much better performance. hope this clears some things up.
  • NeomaveNeomave Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228277Members
    I don't know if the devs will see this, but i think i've figured out the problem. its the way the speed you're going at combined with the loading time and the render distance. if the loading time and render distance are increased (because on PC the render distance is farther than on xbox one). and i think that the playtime affects it, too. i just started a hardcore round and it hardly lags at all. i've only been playing for 5 minutes on that one. now my survival... i have 2 days and 17 hours on it (yes, i have a life). my survival lags a lot. the game lags when loading and despawning things. if the load time was increased and the terrain and wrecks etc. wouldn't despawn as soon as you moved a couple meters away from them and instead despawned when out of your sight, i think the game would have a much better performance. hope this clears some things up.

The render issue is because of the terraformer tool and terraformable terrain that used to be in the game. I'm a little rusty on the details so maybe someone can clarify/correct me, but basically every time it loads a new area it has to process the save data and determine if the terrain was changed by the player and how it should look. This is why terraforming has been removed from the game altogether. When they get to optimization they will be able to go back and increase the view distance on console and pc while using significantly less resources because the terrain will all be fixed.