Should the Aurora's interior get a redesign?

SushiDiver500SushiDiver500 Join Date: 2016-05-28 Member: 217686Members
Now, its probably stupid to redesign the Aurora this far into the development as it would take a lot of extra time.
But i can find some flaws with the current interior design and layout.

First, the interior of the Aurora is very linear and limited. It consists of mostly straight and narrow Corridors with small densely equipped rooms. It has few different routes to choose between and is very straight. You cant choose between several paths to take, as you are forced to kind of "see everything in one go". It would be cool if the Aurora was a more open "maze" like structure where you had several places to go through and explore. There could be multiple entrances to the ship, that somehow connected to each other through the Corridors and rooms.

Second, is that the infrastructure is very random and impractical. Why is the Locker room next to the prawn bay? Why would you put the prawn bay in front of the living quarters? Why is there only one administration Office? Why is the seamoth bay next to a cargo bay and the Fusion reactor? Everything feels like its placed in the wrong area, therefore all the rooms are just one big soup.
Examples: The Locker room should be connected to the living quarters, as that is where people keep their stuff. Didnt someone complain about people thinkering with the prawn mechs in the PDA entries? Maybe you shouldnt have it directly in front of the living quarters then?

Third, is that i hope you like the colour Grey! Because every wall, floor, ceiling, door, ETC. has this magnificent colour!
This can be heavily improved without really Changing the overall level design. Maybe some monitor screens on the walls? A pot plant or something? The Alterra logo could be on the walls somewhere... You could maybe add some lights, maybe some colours?
Things that would just fresh up the interior a bit! ;p

Love, SushiDiver. ❤❤❤

Comments

• gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Totally agree, the interior layout of the Aurora doesn't really make much sense and is far too linear.

There was a poll a little while ago about whether the interior should be expanded to better fit the exterior of the ship (which it should), but the current layout should be reconsidered as well.

Multiple entrances are a great idea (especially if some of them can only be opened from the inside to provide shortcuts back into the Aurora later). I would also like to see areas that require the prawn suit to access, either because they're underwater (can't carry enough air), covered in fire, or have heavy debris blocking the entrance which needs to be drilled or moved with the prawn suit propulsion cannon.
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    Why would a vessel that has crewman who live there, be designed as a maze, other than to thwart a raid or people that are not supposed to be on board? As an orbital structure it should be more along the lines of comfort.... minus the fire (don't get rid of fire).
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Exactly! It really peeves me that inside the Aurora, work and leisure spaces are squished together for no discernable reason. Alterra, unless you have VERY lax workplace safety regulations, you don't put the PRAWN bay next to the crew quarters. It's unsanitary, it's unsafe, and it's not very aesthetically appealing, either.

And while we're at it, why does the front of the Aurora explode? If the drive core (which should REALLY be at the back of the ship instead of the center) is overloading, I'd expect a good chunk of the Aurora's stern to be missing. Instead, the bow has been completely obliterated, while the engines, the part of the ship that contain volatile substances and are actually the part exploding, are completely fine.
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    edited May 2017
    It's this games style. "see everything in on go" - perfect VR afternoon
    And yes agree, Aurora needs love.
    A giant spaceship featuring some 10 rooms...
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    edited May 2017
    And while we're at it, why does the front of the Aurora explode? If the drive core (which should REALLY be at the back of the ship instead of the center) is overloading, I'd expect a good chunk of the Aurora's stern to be missing. Instead, the bow has been completely obliterated, while the engines, the part of the ship that contain volatile substances and are actually the part exploding, are completely fine.
    The drive could be something that stretches along the whole ship, If it isn't actually those two big cylindrical bumps that juts out of its sides (which isn't unlikely.)
    Heck, The Drive Core probably have to be near/in the front of the ship to properly function. It could create a gravity well for the ship to fall into for all we know.
    Which i have probably redundantly explained, Cause as i recall, It was the dark matter containment that failed initially, not the Drive. Cause then you wouldn't be able to repair it.
    [Expo?: Dark matter is just called that by us because we don't know what it is: In-universe, It could have initially been popularized as the name because it wasn't visible to the naked human eye, Before we knew what it really did.]

TL;DR: Starship is big, Has big engine. Part of engine go Boom-Boom.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Why would a vessel that has crewman who live there, be designed as a maze, other than to thwart a raid or people that are not supposed to be on board? As an orbital structure it should be more along the lines of comfort....

Actually, the aesthetic of the Aurora is perfect as it is. Think about it. The Aurora was built and operated by a company that places profit and business operations above all else. Even relationships are codified by contracts. Everything about Alterra says sterile, utilitarian, uniform, and minimalist. Decor costs money - don't spend it. Alterra is far too cost-concerned to be concerned with the color of the hallways or whether people feel "at home." (It's a long-mission ship with "Class C" recreation facilities. That pretty much says it all right there.)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    It also bugs me that the Crew Quarters are next to the Exosuit Bay... but then again some of the PDA notes talk about riding an Exosuit apparently while the Aurora is in motion (likely an offense that would get employees in trouble)
    Sweet Offer

To: Wilson

You're telling me you've been on this rig more than a year and you never took a ride on the outside? Well now, you've only gone and gotten yourself a friend with the keys to a GIANT FRICKING ROBOT SUIT. We've plain got nothing to do 'til we get starside to work on the gate. You want to taste the stars you've only got to say - my spare PRAWN suit's got your name on it. You don't know what power feels like 'til you've crushed an asteroid with your bare, heavily mechanically-augmented hands. Wanna play catch with a passing meteor? Come by the living quarters. Code's 1869.

It seems to me the crew were well-used to piloting Exosuits without their superior's knowledge (or permission at least). But that's what happens when corporate bigwigs cut corners to save money, by squishing stuff together (Lord knows how many people got hammered by having the Mess Hall Cantina and Storage Room mere feet from rowdy crewmembers...) @scifiwriterguy pretty much nailed it - Alterra only cares about the bottom line over the welfare of the crew, it seems. :open_mouth:
  • NVMGamerNVMGamer Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230464Members
    edited May 2017
    Why would a vessel that has crewman who live there, be designed as a maze, other than to thwart a raid or people that are not supposed to be on board? As an orbital structure, it should be more along the lines of comfort....

Actually, the aesthetic of the Aurora is perfect as it is. Think about it. The Aurora was built and operated by a company that places profit and business operations above all else. Even relationships are codified by contracts. Everything about Alterra says sterile, utilitarian, uniform, and minimalist. Decor costs money - don't spend it. Alterra is far too cost-concerned to be concerned with the color of the hallways or whether people feel "at home." (It's a long-mission ship with "Class C" recreation facilities. That pretty much says it all right there.)

doesn't change the fact that they still are a BUSINESS and have to meet some kind of regulation to make sure they still are livable. Because if not, whats the point of even making ships if the people cant even use them right?

Also this ship is HUGE and even if the drive core is 75% of the ship, I ASSURE you there would be a bit less linear halls, more rooms, and semi-practical areas for working and living.

Maybe there is and I havent noticed but from what i remember there isnt ANYWHERE to eat or properly store food, its a bit too minimalistic even for Alterra.

I dont know maybe im looking too much into it.

gamer1000k wrote: »
    Totally agree, the interior layout of the Aurora doesn't really make much sense and is far too linear.

There was a poll a little while ago about whether the interior should be expanded to better fit the exterior of the ship (which it should), but the current layout should be reconsidered as well.

Multiple entrances are a great idea (especially if some of them can only be opened from the inside to provide shortcuts back into the Aurora later). I would also like to see areas that require the prawn suit to access, either because they're underwater (can't carry enough air), covered in fire, or have heavy debris blocking the entrance which needs to be drilled or moved with the prawn suit propulsion cannon.

About what you said about that poll. Hell Yeah the aurora interior should take up ALOT more room than a few hallways
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited May 2017
    If Alterra was so concerned with cost, then why are there so many potted plants and decorative furniture in the wrecks, and why does each crewmember get a full-sized bed instead of a bunk? Same goes with all the wasted space in the crew quarters (large rooms, high ceilings, wide hallways) and the generator room. Engine rooms in ships (even big ones) are generally pretty cramped, with the decks built around the engine components rather than having a giant, mostly empty room with the engine in the middle. See the engine room pictures on wikipedia.

Wasted space on a ship directly translates into having a vessel be larger than it needs to be, which in turn increases cost.

Maybe to better convey why the Aurora is as big as it is, we should have a place where the player can look into the factory portion of the ship and see the scale of the assembly line, even if they can't actually fully explore it.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    The Aurora should be brought into line with all of the other human-designed manned spaceships currently flying to other planets.

Oh wait, there's none of those.

But srsly, a ship to go build a stargate would probably be 95% construction materials, 5% anything else. If they say that stuff survived, just go with it. I do think there should be more broken doors, though, to destroyed areas.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    NVMGamer wrote: »
    Why would a vessel that has crewman who live there, be designed as a maze, other than to thwart a raid or people that are not supposed to be on board? As an orbital structure, it should be more along the lines of comfort....

doesn't change the fact that they still are a BUSINESS and have to meet some kind of regulation to make sure they still are livable. Because if not, whats the point of even making ships if the people cant even use them right?

Alterra is a trans-gov authority. They are the government in their sectors.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    Seriously though so much is missing. The engines room should be much larger (and by the engines). There should be massive ravines in side where you have to swing on your PRAWN to get from one side to another, with a big Reaper at the bottom guarding the phasegate. The cargo bay is so small its ridiculous. Why make the aurora that big if nothing gets used? There's so much potential. I just don't understand how feasible to make a spaceship that big and 99% is solid titanium or whatever and no empty space.
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    It should have a redisigned.
    I found it really strange to have the habitation area next to the prawn suit bay ..
  • HenningHenning Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230815Members
    Are the fork-lifts gone yet? ;)
  • DigitalBoxDigitalBox Mushroom Forest Join Date: 2017-06-07 Member: 230985Members
    I think this is a great idea ;D
    edited June 2017
    I still don't get why you're all so concerned about a big empty shell of nothing, and a few rooms, sticking out of the water. It's not like anything about the Aurora is functional, it's all just window-dressing.

No. You're never going to repair the Aurora and fly it around. There's plenty of building games where you can make spaceships.
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    it does seem a bit cramped and linear, I would like it to feel a bit more ship like and immersive
  • ExE_BossExE_Boss Join Date: 2017-06-23 Member: 231293Members
    The Aurora should be made into more of a spaceship and less of a linear video game level.
    ExE_Boss wrote: »
    The Aurora should be made into more of a spaceship and less of a linear video game level.

yes, especially as the game is basically supposed to all for exploration
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    I had a good time with it. There were the bays, there was the trashed parts, there were the residences on fire. My memory of going through it was getting access to areas that were closed off and getting posters and stuff that I otherwise could have gone on linerally and missed. Seemed like a habitat to me.

They should just smash the thing. Wait until the player goes deep, then when they come out, have a bunch of Precursor harvesting drones fly off, with the entire Aurora rendered into scrap metal and carted off to places unknown. PDA entry, a comment from the AI about the radiation and transmissions ceasing, and then "oh my."

Doesn't even need to be animated, the entire process is complete before the player gets near, and they just see drones fly off!
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

They should just smash the thing. Wait until the player goes deep, then when they come out, have a bunch of Precursor harvesting drones fly off, with the entire Aurora rendered into scrap metal and carted off to places unknown. PDA entry, a comment from the AI about the radiation and transmissions ceasing, and then "oh my."

Doesn't even need to be animated, the entire process is complete before the player gets near, and they just see drones fly off!

I don't like the idea of that, it would be espially annoying if you had missed something 'cause you didn't have the laser cutter or something and had planned to return