Need for sleep in Survival and Hardcore

WeyrmanWeyrman Brisbane Australia Join Date: 2016-06-22 Member: 218913Members
We currently have the ability to sleep and beds to sleep in. Rather than just have it as a way to skip forward in time I would like to have a Stamina bar that runs out in 4-5 "days" and then you start taking health damage. The only way to recharge stamina would be to sleep. Some will say, why add to the grind? But why not add to the realism? What would be better would be having it as a toggling option for those who want a deeper immersion. For me, the "grind" doesn't bother me, its all part of the realism and I enjoy it.

Comments

• Chris9183Chris9183 Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230526Members
  • AmbaireAmbaire Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219206Members
    I think this is a great idea. Perhaps if one goes without sleep for more than a couple days, one has a random chance to fall asleep wherever they are.. including underwater. And let one sleep without a bed, say in the survival pod, but one isn't as well rested from that.
  • ImmortalHunterImmortalHunter Surrey BC Canada Earth Join Date: 2016-10-04 Member: 222853Members
    Weyrman wrote: »
    We currently have the ability to sleep and beds to sleep in. Rather than just have it as a way to skip forward in time I would like to have a Stamina bar that runs out in 4-5 "days" and then you start taking health damage. The only way to recharge stamina would be to sleep. Some will say, why add to the grind? But why not add to the realism? What would be better would be having it as a toggling option for those who want a deeper immersion. For me, the "grind" doesn't bother me, its all part of the realism and I enjoy it.

vOzbye8.jpg
  • EternalGolemEternalGolem Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223650Members
    Maybe "phantoms" start spawning. They would be slightly changed versions of current animals. How bout mesmers gain increased effects on you if you are lacking in sleep
  • EstebanLB01EstebanLB01 Join Date: 2017-05-09 Member: 230377Members
    The game would be giving you a timer to find the bed blueprint. Bad idea
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Might be fun. But how about you start with a bed on the constructor. A simple bed that doesn't look nice but when used you your food and water go down 20%. The other beds look nicer and what if they restore *SOME* health.
  • EstebanLB01EstebanLB01 Join Date: 2017-05-09 Member: 230377Members
    That's more appropiate, but resting shoudl not interfere with nutrition
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited May 2017
    I like this idea. However, to prevent this from being too much of a rush to get the bed before you get sleep deprived, the lifepod should have an (uncomfortable) place to sleep (the chair from the opening cutscene?) which can also be used to pass time. Additionally, the PDA should come with a blueprint for a cot or some other simple bed that's better than sleeping in the lifepod, but not as good as one of the real beds.

Off on a tangent now, but what are the sheets on the beds made of anyways? The crafting recipe only calls for titanium, so that implies that the sheets are as well... Same issue with the planters (what is the synthetic soil made of?). Maybe the beds should require a fiber mesh (not difficult to obtain) and planters should require coral and creepvine samples for the soil.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    This idea has been mentioned before, 6-12 months ago, IIRC? Anyways, yeah, it's a good idea, but I think the consensus was it should be optional if implemented.
  • WeyrmanWeyrman Brisbane Australia Join Date: 2016-06-22 Member: 218913Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    I like this idea. However, to prevent this from being too much of a rush to get the bed before you get sleep deprived, the lifepod should have an (uncomfortable) place to sleep (the chair from the opening cutscene?) which can also be used to pass time. Additionally, the PDA should come with a blueprint for a cot or some other simple bed that's better than sleeping in the lifepod, but not as good as one of the real beds.

This is a great idea!

Sleep in a lifepod chair - 25% stamina boost and 2hrs elapsed: sleep in camp bed - 50% stamina boost and 5hrs elapsed: sleep in proper bed - 100% stamina boost and (whatever the current time period)hrs elapsed.

In the early stages of the game you are back and forth to the lifepod a lot so frequent sleeps in the chair would not be unreasonable.
    Getting a base and using the camp bed would increase your range enough to find the proper bed.
    I would also make only the camp bed usable on the cyclops.

I also agree that resting should not interfere with nutrition, only health if you run yourself to exhaustion.
  • KillerTortoise1KillerTortoise1 England Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211719Members
    For the early stages of the game the player could use the chair in the crash pod to sleep on until they build a bed and a base
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited May 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    This idea has been mentioned before, 6-12 months ago, IIRC? Anyways, yeah, it's a good idea, but I think the consensus was it should be optional if implemented.

Optional for Creative or Freedom, but required for Survival and Hardcore I would say. We need food and water to survive (makes sense) but not sleep? The typical human can't stay awake for 2-3 days at most, and yet we're awake for 200+ days? :confused: I mean, I fail to see the point in adding craftable beds and chairs to the game, then adding the ability to rest without losing nutrients, and then adding the ability to sleep in beds to pass time and restore health.

People may say it's an unnecessay addition or requirement for the game, but if we're supposed to be surviving in a hostile environment and monitoring food and health, then sleep is a logical necessity. Other open-world survival games like Stranded Deep and The Forest require stamina management and sleep requirements to survive and progress the game - why not Subnautica?

We're clearly playing as a human survivor, not some robotic automaton (we can be injured and can die), nor are we some form of cyborg (we aren't endurable or can survive underwater long without oxygen). So unless humans of Subnautica's future somehow able to endure weeks of work without sleep (check out how many beds there are in the Crew Quarters in the Aurora...) then I think it's a necessity for both realistic survival gameplay, but also as another level of management. :open_mouth:

I personally feel the day/night cycle needs to be longer (at least doubled) for it to even be a valid gameplay feature. They could make it so you have a "stamina" gauge that slowly drops as you move, swim and do other activities. If you grow tired but don't sleep, the screen slowly darkens as you try to stay awake - perhaps they can use a filter like what appears when you're unprotected in radiation to indicate fatigue. The longer you stay active without sleep, your movement speed will lower and your damage modifier will increase; stay awake too long and you'll pass out regardless where you are... even underwater. :dizzy:

Is it something that's gotta happen right away? Of course not, there are other aspects of the game that need work on instead - this is low priority. But this is something that should be added at some point, in my opinion. After all, if it's not required then why even have beds and chair functionality? :frowning: