Bigger Submarine Concept - My own 3D model

Comments

• NickHowler337NickHowler337 Malaysia Join Date: 2017-03-28 Member: 229250Members
    Back. Also that's some noice textures.
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    Oh, and just by the way, I'm assuming this will have cameras like the Cyclops? Because if so, could you add the cameras to the 3D model? I noticed the you can't actually see the cameras on the Cyclops, so I thought that would be a cool detail.
  • MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members
    jeod wrote: »
    Minder, you just made my day.
    I can't explain that feeling that I get whenever I see this, but I bet you know what I'm talking about. That feeling of joy, hope, and the sheer time you poured into this thing. I can feel it all. And I love it.
    I must admit, it feels a bit too small. It now just feels like the Cyclops again. The original artwork was, I admit, huge. But I feel like you shrunk it down too much. Find that medium.
    And as always, keep up the good work!!

Thank you so much man for your comment! This really encourages me to work harder! Your feedback really means a lot for me, I think i would have gave up if i were alone
    haha the eternal question of the size of the submarine x) Yeah i know dude, it sucks that it is not freaking HUGE but there was so many people complaining about the fact that my model will never be in the game because of the size :/ I have to make a compromise, but i can still change a little bit :)
    Oh, and just by the way, I'm assuming this will have cameras like the Cyclops? Because if so, could you add the cameras to the 3D model? I noticed the you can't actually see the cameras on the Cyclops, so I thought that would be a cool detail.

Yeah that a really cool idea! and this is finally a suggestion i can do something with it ^^ But yes i think this have to be in the game so i will do it (If i don't forget xD)

Back. Also that's some noice textures.

Thank you! :D

Anyway, i'm still working on texturing, this is almost done, there is still few things to do, but it will come to an end soon!!! :D
  • mistermanbruhmistermanbruh netherlands Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225293Members
    I think i know why it might be smaller: The tail part is shorter. Or at least, so it seems. Can you check that Minder?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @NepsterCZ @nesrak1 You guys have seen this sub, right? Just checking.
    Rezca wrote: »
    They also had the Beluga and Draconis as large subs - the Beluga being even larger than the Cyclops - but they ditched these (Along with the idea of having a "middle sized" sub to bridge the gap between the seamoth and cyclops) when the Seamoth and Cyclops on their own ended up proving hard enough for their small team and limited resources. Which is a shame since they're really beautiful looking subs:

latest?cb=20160522231950

latest?cb=20170109002620

• nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Yes, but subs are significantly harder than base items to make. They're not prefabs, they take up a whole scene.
    There's multiple parts to it to look at and I know nothing of how subs work.
    If you just wanted me to look at the pic, that's fine
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    Yes, but subs are significantly harder than base items to make. They're not prefabs, they take up a whole scene.
    There's multiple parts to it to look at and I know nothing of how subs work.
    If you just wanted me to look at the pic, that's fine

Yeah I wasn't asking you to get it in-game, just that it's an awesome sub (and the Draconis as well). :)
  • Gravity_HorseGravity_Horse USA Join Date: 2017-05-18 Member: 230600Members
    I just came across this, and I am so unbelievably impressed with the incredible work you've done. I remember seeing the original concept art for the different submarines and wishing so much it would make it into main game. Best wishes for your progress, I really hope this gets the credit it deserves. Have any of the game devs commented to you about your work?

Also if you need any ideas, Ill try to throw some together. Know that obviously I'm not actually asking for this, this is just *throw stuff at a wall to see what sticks* kinda brainstorming, random ideas. For one thing, I don't think the size of the sub is drastically important, however it needs to be tactically superior to the Cyclops to make it feasible.

Random ideas include
    -Two vehicle docking bays. One for A Prawn and one for a Seamoth. I saw there is some kind of duel guns/propulsion system directly behind the first vehicle bay. Maybe you could devise a way for the part above that to also be a functional docking bay, with the part on the bottom sliding back and forth to lock/unlock one or the other.
    -Some form of exterior weapons / lasers
    -Multiple windows / rear/side portholes
    -Camera system
    -Scanner room camera drones
    -Holographic steering interface instead of wheel
    -Built-in aquarium
    -Maybe some kind of sound system or something? Music?

Sorry if I was a little forward with all that <:) but I hope at least of of those was not-terrible. I really hope that whatever you create makes it into the final build. You really have done incredible work, and all of us subnautica fans are rooting for ya!
  • NepsterCZNepsterCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2017-05-07 Member: 230330Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @NepsterCZ @nesrak1 You guys have seen this sub, right? Just checking.
    Rezca wrote: »
    They also had the Beluga and Draconis as large subs - the Beluga being even larger than the Cyclops - but they ditched these (Along with the idea of having a "middle sized" sub to bridge the gap between the seamoth and cyclops) when the Seamoth and Cyclops on their own ended up proving hard enough for their small team and limited resources. Which is a shame since they're really beautiful looking subs:

latest?cb=20160522231950

latest?cb=20170109002620

I do:
    draconis_by_nepstercz_db9mcq5_by_nepstercz-db9mcsx.png

Beluga seems "okay-ish" with those 60-80 meters. Draconis tho, if it would be about 3x times the Cyclops (so about 140-150 meters), it would be too much unpractical I think. There's no content to justify so huge sub.
  • mistermanbruhmistermanbruh netherlands Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225293Members
    that giant thing up there would be the draconis, right?

and the "beluga", or my profile picture, would be called the Atlas.

BTW, i am totaly fine, i would realy love it, with this guy:
    I just came across this, and I am so unbelievably impressed with the incredible work you've done. I remember seeing the original concept art for the different submarines and wishing so much it would make it into main game. Best wishes for your progress, I really hope this gets the credit it deserves. Have any of the game devs commented to you about your work?

Also if you need any ideas, Ill try to throw some together. Know that obviously I'm not actually asking for this, this is just *throw stuff at a wall to see what sticks* kinda brainstorming, random ideas. For one thing, I don't think the size of the sub is drastically important, however it needs to be tactically superior to the Cyclops to make it feasible.

Random ideas include
    -Two vehicle docking bays. One for A Prawn and one for a Seamoth. I saw there is some kind of duel guns/propulsion system directly behind the first vehicle bay. Maybe you could devise a way for the part above that to also be a functional docking bay, with the part on the bottom sliding back and forth to lock/unlock one or the other.
    -Camera system
    -Built-in aquarium

Sorry if I was a little forward with all that <:) but I hope at least of of those was not-terrible. I really hope that whatever you create makes it into the final build. You really have done incredible work, and all of us subnautica fans are rooting for ya!

• NickHowler337NickHowler337 Malaysia Join Date: 2017-03-28 Member: 229250Members
    edited May 2017
    [/quote]
    I do:
    draconis_by_nepstercz_db9mcq5_by_nepstercz-db9mcsx.png

Beluga seems "okay-ish" with those 60-80 meters. Draconis tho, if it would be about 3x times the Cyclops (so about 140-150 meters), it would be too much unpractical I think. There's no content to justify so huge sub.
    [/quote]

I'm wondering if the Draco's larger than the SDL!
  • TheRaccoonTheRaccoon Australia Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228921Members
    it looks so sexy ;)

keep up the amazing work Minder!
    Guys, guys... it's called The Atlas
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    An atlas is a book! BOOKS WENT EXTINCT YEARS AGO!
    An atlas is a book! BOOKS WENT EXTINCT YEARS AGO!
    Books went extinct? As in, books were once alive? Wha?...
  • MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members
    I think i know why it might be smaller: The tail part is shorter. Or at least, so it seems. Can you check that Minder?

actually, yes i make the length of the tail shorter, but in general, this is the whole sub that is smaller, the real sense of size is given by the figurine i placed in the cockpit, so if i change its size, it changes the size of the sub.

@0x6A7232 yes but the Atlas is the sexiest :p

Random ideas include
    -Camera system
    -Built-in aquarium

Thanks man! Really appreciate your feedback! i'm always glad people take their time showing interest into my work :3
    Unfortunately, no, any dev has actually contact me or say something about the sub :/ but at least there are plenty of people who are liking it :)
    I don't really need ideas in fact, i'm just following the subnautica art direction and make the 3d model usable ^^
    So yeah, the Atlas is superior to the Cyclops, because it has more space in it and there are a lot of specialized room, therefore it is really useful for the player :)
    Yes, the docking bay is actually big enough to put two small vehicles in it! And in fact, i have already made the room layout, you can check it out in the previous posts, so the location where you want to put an another docking bay is actually the storage room and the stairs to get to the engine room :)
    There are no weapons in the game, no discussion about that sorry ^^
    I have thought about windows but i figured it out it won't fit into the sub. First because a real submarine doesn't have one (because of water pressure), then it makes the front cockpit really important for the player, and finally because it would be really hard to model it, because i would have to make the room really fit the shape of the cell of the submarine to make transition with windows.
    Yes i will put cameras on it :)
    For scanner room, there are already specialized room, like the laboratory and a lot of space to put such kind of stuff :) (same thing goes for the aquarium)
    For holographic steering, i wont change the art direction of the game and i will stick with the one that is already in the game.
    For sounds this is really not my job ^^

And for all the people wondering why i chose Atlas for the name is because of its meaning. In Greek mythology, it was a Titan and we can see him carrying the globe. So i like thinking about the Atlas as the god submarine, king of all the seas. Furthermore it also echoes to the name of the Cylclops. :D

Minder wrote: »

actually, yes i make the length of the tail shorter, but in general, this is the whole sub that is smaller, the real sense of size is given by the figurine i placed in the cockpit, so if i change its size, it changes the size of the sub.

Random ideas include
    -Camera system
    -Built-in aquarium

Thanks man! Really appreciate your feedback! i'm always glad people take their time showing interest into my work :3
    Unfortunately, no, any dev has actually contact me or say something about the sub :/ but at least there are plenty of people who are liking it :)
    I don't really need ideas in fact, i'm just following the subnautica art direction and make the 3d model usable ^^
    So yeah, the Atlas is superior to the Cyclops, because it has more space in it and there are a lot of specialized room, therefore it is really useful for the player :)
    Yes, the docking bay is actually big enough to put two small vehicles in it! And in fact, i have already made the room layout, you can check it out in the previous posts, so the location where you want to put an another docking bay is actually the storage room and the stairs to get to the engine room :)
    I have thought about windows but i figured it out it won't fit into the sub. First because a real submarine doesn't have one (because of water pressure), then it makes the front cockpit really important for the player, and finally because it would be really hard to model it, because i would have to make the room really fit the shape of the cell of the submarine to make transition with windows.
    For scanner room, there are already specialized room, like the laboratory and a lot of space to put such kind of stuff :) (same thing goes for the aquarium)
    For holographic steering, i wont change the art direction of the game and i will stick with the one that is already in the game.

And for all the people wondering why i chose Atlas for the name is because of its meaning. In Greek mythology, it was a Titan and we can see him carrying the globe. So i like thinking about the Atlas as the god submarine, king of all the seas. Furthermore it also echoes to the name of the Cylclops. :D

Random ideas include
    -Camera system
    -Built-in aquarium

HAIL THE ATLAS
    yes but the Atlas is the sexiest :p
    Heck yeah it is!
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    that giant thing up there would be the draconis, right?

and the "beluga", or my profile picture, would be called the Atlas.

BTW, i am totaly fine, i would realy love it, with this guy:

Random ideas include
    -Camera system
    -Built-in aquarium

to me Draconis looks more like a combat sub the beluga aka the Atlas is more scientific

perhaps in the front or bottom front some ware you can put an containment tank where you can keep/breed fish but also have an arm mounted or torpedo based capture device that automatically puts things into the tank

also you forgot the galley (kitchen and dinning area)

• Archer_41Archer_41 Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230693Members
    The problem is this, the cyclops is gigantic already and having it bigger would make it harder to get to leaks and fix them, get to fires and extinguish them, and evacuate the sub as fast as possible, I have been playing subnautica since the pre alpha and remember when the cyclops was implemented into the game. Another reason why a bigger version shouldn't be implemented is because it is already huge as I said before but now it would be hard to turn and not hit everything.

Archer_41
    Archer_41 wrote: »
    The problem is this, the cyclops is gigantic already and having it bigger would make it harder to get to leaks and fix them, get to fires and extinguish them, and evacuate the sub as fast as possible, I have been playing subnautica since the pre alpha and remember when the cyclops was implemented into the game. Another reason why a bigger version shouldn't be implemented is because it is already huge as I said before but now it would be hard to turn and not hit everything.

It won't be as unstable as the Cyclops and it has escape pods, which actually seems fun... simulating your sub going down, count me in...
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    yes it is big, you would not likely be able to get in into the deep grand reef let alone the inactive lava zone or the blood kelp zone for that matter.

as i said you should get it after you launch the rocked in survival or hardcore and the credits finish, the game/story should restart only with your base and belongings intact with the addition of the atlas spawned somewhere (deep-enough for it)

being endgame creatures would ignore it and it would be semi invulnerable with a 2000m max depth
  • Archer_41Archer_41 Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230693Members
    wait is this going to be implemented or not? I saw a picture of it compared to the cyclops in a scanner room.
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited May 2017
    That was part of Nepster's model
    wait is this going to be implemented or not? I saw a picture of it compared to the cyclops in a scanner room.

I hope it is, but as of right now, it's just a 3d fan made model
  • NVMGamerNVMGamer Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230464Members

I hope it is, but as of right now, it's just a 3d fan made model

same here

thats a draconis
  • RagnosRagnos Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230812Members
    The design is very nice indeed. I like it.
    However, there are some problems with a sub this large.
    The Cyclops currently handles like that of an 18-wheeler, a bigger version would be even harder on the handling.
    The Cyclops is already mentioned to supposed to be operated by three people, a bigger one should require more.

Though a good use for this is a form of mobile base that you can build inside of. Eg: Not structures just basic components like fabricators, med kit fabricators, modification station, etc.
  • HenningHenning Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230815Members
    edited May 2017
    You should 3D print it! :smile:
  • Micah2DaMaxMicah2DaMax Join Date: 2017-05-29 Member: 230816Members
    I think its a really cool idea, but wouldn't it be kinda hard to use with its being so big?
This discussion has been closed.