Pirate translation thread.

kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
I was thinking having a pirate language option. Ya know, like minecraft has. Is this a good idea?

Comments

• CaptainBarbequeCaptainBarbeque Hell Join Date: 2017-02-25 Member: 228247Members
    Start subnautica: Are you ready to sail the seven seas partner
    Feedpack: Parlay matey
    Reaper leviathan: A mighty lookin' beast captn'

And i do think it's a nice idea for the shits and giggles but not a good idea right now.
    perhaps after 1.0?
  • JohnyTheCarrotJohnyTheCarrot Belgium Join Date: 2016-10-21 Member: 223281Members
    That's a nice idea.
    I'd love to participate if it should happen.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    I accidentally found the language folders in my game when searching for a sound file. Is it possible to just make a copy of the English language file and edit it for this?
  • XautosXautos Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232161Members
    "Well dun ye scurvy dog! ye landed on an ocean world an not a drop of rum in sighte. Arr matey, time to pillage and steal from tha locals!"

"It's'a peeper, dis fish is a hearty dinner if ye get hunger! tis filled with goodness, but alas not alcohol goodness."

"Ye infected! ye goin thru withdrawl an need to find a drink of rum!"

"Tis your ship tha Aurora, tis a fine lookin sighte. Raid it for all the rum it carries, arr."

The novelty won't last past the wooden decks and between that and the water, i'd rather keep it english.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2017
    We'd need a new entry here: http://translate.unknownworlds.com/ for that pirate talk...

Now hold on there... We'd needs a new entry here: http://translate.unknownworlds.com/ fer that pirate natter...

Would be smart if we had a pirate voice actor fer bitchin' Betty. Or be able t' modify th' audio speech files like we could do in Natural Selection 2 fer th' "tipvids"

Workshop support yo o/
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Xautos wrote: »
    "Well dun ye scurvy dog! ye landed on an ocean world an not a drop of rum in sighte. Arr matey, time to pillage and steal from tha locals!"

"It's'a peeper, dis fish is a hearty dinner if ye get hunger! tis filled with goodness, but alas not alcohol goodness."

"Tis your ship tha Aurora, tis a fine lookin sighte. Raid it for all the rum it carries, arr."

The novelty won't last past the wooden decks and between that and the water, i'd rather keep it english.

We would have to remove all the rum talk... alcoholic refrences would bump the game up to T, and the devs want E 10+.
  • XautosXautos Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232161Members
    Xautos wrote: »

We would have to remove all the rum talk... alcoholic refrences would bump the game up to T, and the devs want E 10+.

that sterotype of pirate revolves around men on ships, with peg legs, eye patches, striped shirts and hooks, speaking in an irish accent. being a pirate is about the romanic side of piracy and the characters involving them, more often than not alcohol is also frequently linked with the sterotype along with sword play and treasure chests filled with gold.

still, i would like to see where this goes.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited May 2018
    Sorry to bump this, but I mean, why not?
    The game's out so I thought I might resurrect this.
  • rockk45rockk45 Australia Join Date: 2018-07-09 Member: 242042Members
    great to see here...!!!
  • ben_morganben_morgan New York Join Date: 2018-07-09 Member: 242057Members
    Yes, it's a great idea. But which languages do you want to translate?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    ben_morgan wrote: »
    Yes, it's a great idea. But which languages do you want to translate?

Mister Morgan! Does ye nah subscribe t' the English tongue? Surely ye understand the world's language best be represented as the one 'n only speech! Or does ye say nee to me proposal, t'is a fair one at that!
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    This would be so much fun. Even better if you can get the PDA to talk like a pirate.
  • LapisWhovianLapisWhovian The Lost River Cove Tree (The base with the moonpool) Join Date: 2018-08-22 Member: 242976Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    This would be so much fun. Even better if you can get the PDA to talk like a pirate.

Pirate-speaking Digital Assistant
    "Good on yeh matey fer not dyin'! 'Ave a rum!"
  • ShezlezyakaShezlezyaka UA Join Date: 2016-08-29 Member: 221853Members
    edited August 2018
    I'm Interesting, WHY I've to buy legall copy of your software via Steam store - especially you (Unknownworlds) supporting russian fascists and their terrorists by creating for them an translation? Did you MADE ANY translations of text and vocal for UKRAINIAN-speaking users?! I guess it will release me for using pirate copy of YOUR software. You supporting fascists and terrorist - I will be supporting piracy! Damned you cowards!
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    But are pirates so damn inarticulate (well, they just arrre)
  • InoxidabilInoxidabil Romania Join Date: 2019-02-04 Member: 250404Members
    Ahoy there, some rum needed!