'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited May 2017
    Wait, a double post by @Bugzapper?!

Say it ain't so!

And more on topic, I'm assuming that Warpers are attacking, but what for? Is this a case of the Warpers in Black, trying to take privileged video feed from Selkirk & Co.?

This cliffhanger is on point.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Well, Warpers are telepathic so I'm wondering if they've tuned into the colonist's thoughts and have mistaken the video for their enemy attacking the place.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Apologies for the double post.

Got myself in an editing tizzy and the dreaded Subnautica Spam Filter (TM) done whupped mah butt.

Harsh.
    Not Warpers.

A starship.

Stay tuned... :)
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Not Warpers.

A starship.

Wait...

WHAT!

Is this Tomar's drinking buddies coming for round 2?

The suspense is maddening!
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    c6yfz1ckjc6k.png
    When the next story arc kicks in.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Not Warpers.

A starship.

Wait...

WHAT!

It's been over a hundred years. They would be a bit late.
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Skope wrote: »
    Not Warpers.

A starship.

Wait...

WHAT!

It's been over a hundred years. They would be a bit late.

Yeah, didn't quite think that one through.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Apologies for the double post.

Got myself in an editing tizzy and the dreaded Subnautica Spam Filter (TM) done whupped mah butt.

Harsh.

If you just hit save and ignore the message, then refresh the page, it does actually save your edit (as you're an Advanced Android User™).
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Only a century late to respond to the beacon!
    Only a century late to respond to the beacon!

Employee safety and well-being is every corporation's top priority, didn't you know that? Safety first! Safety isn't just a motto, it's the Alterra way!
  • fangfatherhunterfangfatherhunter england Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216369Members
    Amazing work as always Bugzapper.
    May I have your permission to publish this story on fanfiction.net?
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    +++ INCOMING MESSAGE +++

"Message received and understood, Captain Selkirk. Halvorsen, over and out."

In regards to your earlier reply, no problem, just shocked after reading so long to actually reach the temporary end!

Pet peeve of mine by the way, over and out is horribly, horribly wrong.

Over in radio terms means standing by for reply, to indicate the channel has been freed up for a response.

Out means ending call. Over and out means "Waiting for a reply, now shut up."
    Kellise wrote: »
    +++ INCOMING MESSAGE +++

In regards to your earlier reply, no problem, just shocked after reading so long to actually reach the temporary end!

A pet peeve of mine is being 'corrected' by someone who clearly does not understand what's going on.
    Cease and desist, forthwith.

Captain Halvorsen has just received a large data-packet transmission. It will take him some time to process the information.
    Halvorsen is most definitely signing off, and will re-initiate the conversation when he's good and ready.

Amazing work as always Bugzapper.
    May I have your permission to publish this story on fanfiction.net?

Absolutely not. Sorry.

I hate to sound 'precious' about Aurora and Borealis, but that would be comparable to displaying artwork in a public urinal.
    After expending considerable time and effort on these stories, the last thing I want is to have them rubbing shoulders with abysmal
    Harry Potter/Twilight crossovers. No thanks.
    edited May 2017
    +++ INCOMING MESSAGE +++

A pet peeve of mine is being 'corrected' by someone who clearly does not understand what's going on.
    Cease and desist, forthwith.

Captain Halvorsen has just received a large data-packet transmission. It will take him some time to process the information.
    Halvorsen is most definitely signing off, and will re-initiate the conversation when he's good and ready.

Umm.. :( Sorry to interject, but:

Directly translated, that would message say, "Message received and understood, Captain Selkirk. Halvorsen, over to you {AKA, I'm expecting your response}, and terminating communications now."

Unless something has changed (which is possible, however unlikely) in the hundreds of years from now when this story takes place, the phrase over and out is about as appropriate for ending communications as a Michael Bay movie is for depicting realism: you'll only find it in Hollywood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_and_Out --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_procedure
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/over_and_out
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=over and out
    I think I'll take a break for a while.

Anyone else feel like nit-picking, second-guessing, shit posting or just plain 'not getting it'?

Let me know when that 'entitled' feeling subsides.

• Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    @0x6A7232 @Kellise . @Bugzapper 's at the end of his tether.

Just stop. Don't spoil it for the rest of us.
    edited May 2017

Finally. Someone gets it.

@Enderguy059 : Your new title is 'Voice of Reason'.

Be thou a Gode Knight.
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members

I read earlier in the stories that he accepts constructive criticism. I'm a qualified radio operator from back when I was in cadets years back, it's something that if you're in the right channels you can learn from being 13, but many don't get that chance. I was honestly only trying to provide a little bit of knowledge and be helpful, and actually updating it to follow the way modern radio users do (and I assume would continue doing until over/out become redundant.) would take holding back space for a second.

There's no need to be condescending, any stopping/implying you are taking a break because you want to just spite people trying to help you is hardly a good trait. I fully get Bug that some people have been rude and nasty, but again, just trying to help. I also fully get what's going on, I was merely stating I was sad that I had reached the
    temporary end

While also bumping you and paying you a compliment that your story is so good I was sad to have reached the end.

0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Unless something has changed (which is possible, however unlikely) in the hundreds of years from now when this story takes place, the phrase over and out is about as appropriate for ending communications as a Michael Bay movie is for depicting realism: you'll only find it in Hollywood.

To avoid any confusion, let the record show that I wasn't meaning to show contempt for our most esteemed author with that comment, but rather Hollywood, for not doing their research and foisting that phrase upon an unknowing public. I just re-read my comment and I suppose it could have been taken as a personal barb, which was not at all my intent.
  • ThunderShock27ThunderShock27 America Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227880Members
    Whoa... Amazing story... I can't believe I'm caught up already! I very excitedly look forward to the next installments in the story! Great work @Bugzapper . You have set a wonderful example of professional story writing and have inspired me in my current writing of my own fan story, 'Splash Down'.
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Nice to see Mr. Zimmeman is still relevant in the future. And slo-mo walks! It appears cheesy movies are alive as ever.

Just a few questions, though:
    1) I understand that Selkirk eventually realized he didn't need to return home, but before then, how come he didn't construct a ship to escape? He's clearly able to do so in Borealis, and it doesn't really seem as though he was incapable of doing so at the end of Aurora Falls. He and the crew could already have used construction drones and the gear salvaged from the Aurora and the Magellan bases to build a ship that would get them back to Federation space.
    2) Over the course of 80 years before Borealis begins, how could Selkirk not discover the Lost River? He had all of that time to survey 4546B, and somehow didn't stumble upon it by accident? It's got entrances in the Blood Kelp Zone, Lava Zone, and Deep Grand Reef, so it's not like he could really miss it.
    3) Will Selkirk & co. ever visit the Twisty Bridges/Arctic/anywhere outside of the current in-game map?
    4) What the hell is an Anderson key???
    I'm sorry if this comes off as me being nitpicky, it's just that this has been bugging me for some time and I thought I might as well ask.
    Curious to see how Selkirk manages to talk down the Precursor AI controlling the quarantine weapon in six months. It materialised as soon as the Sea Emperor heard about the Kharaa's return, so I'm wondering if he could also call off the quarantine if he were satisfied each and every colonist leaving the planet is clean.

But until then, I get the feeling that something bad will happen.