When you go inside the Aurora in freecam mode

OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
I can't help but to think that Alterra corp. probably fired the engineering team which designed the Aurora. So much wasted space, so unnecessarily big (= hard to control) ship.

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    It has a cubic kilometer cargo space to fit the Phase Gate parts. And considering it was designed as a mining ship, it probably also comes with industrial facilities. So it's a huge warehouse and a factory plus FTL drive and all the automation to run it with as few people as feasible, plus crew facilities, life support and food supplies/production to keep everybody good for a voyage that lasts a few years.

I think the ship is appropriately sized for its purpose.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    It has a cubic kilometer cargo space to fit the Phase Gate parts. And considering it was designed as a mining ship, it probably also comes with industrial facilities. So it's a huge warehouse and a factory plus FTL drive and all the automation to run it with as few people as feasible, plus crew facilities, life support and food supplies/production to keep everybody good for a voyage that lasts a few years.

I think the ship is appropriately sized for its purpose.

Enter the ship w/ freecam and you'll know what I'm talking about. If it's warehouse only, it has low usability due to it's shape. And paperthin walls in a ship this size seem dangerous.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    There are times when no matter how hard you try, comparing Reality to Game Design..., doesn't really work.

B)
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    There are times when no matter how hard you try, comparing Reality to Game Design..., doesn't really work.

B)

I know, but I just find it funny that the Aurora is 99% empty shell
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    You do realize they put nothing in there, because there is no reason game play and level design wise to have anything there?
    You do realize they put nothing in there, because there is no reason game play and level design wise to have anything there?

Read my reply to @DaveyNY
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Ojakokko wrote: »
    ...but I just find it funny that the Aurora is 99% empty shell
    It is a Potemkin spaceship, comrade!
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members

True and yes I read previous posts but the main reason besides level design since the areas we can't access physically aren't meant to have things in them. They left those void because it would take up ram and graphical resources. So it's both level design reasons and game resource demand. Again I come back to why put details and stuff in areas in a model/area of the game that will never be physically visited by the player.

True and yes I read previous posts but the main reason besides level design since the areas we can't access physically aren't meant to have things in them. They left those void because it would take up ram and graphical resources. So it's both level design reasons and game resource demand. Again I come back to why put details and stuff in areas in a model/area of the game that will never be physically visited by the player.

I'm allowed to find "game logic" funny without saying it has to be changed, you know? I know they obviously wouldn't have designed the whole ship, and I'm not saying they should. I just find this funny, it doesn't mean I'm pissed off by it (just like a lot of game logic) and you're taking this WAY too seriously.
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    edited May 2017
    Enter the ship w/ freecam and you'll know what I'm talking about. If it's warehouse only, it has low usability due to it's shape. And paperthin walls in a ship this size seem dangerous.

You might want to take into account the fact that the ship... well, exploded. From an internal blast. Which probably either collapsed, tore apart or outright atomized whole decks worth of rooms - and that's not even counting the huge cargo-space where mined resources and ship-sized phase-gate parts were put, which would have taken up a significant portion of the ship's space.

Long story short, there's a lot you're not considering that the freecam alone would never be able to tell either way. Also, "paperthin walls" doesn't really gel as a complaint - it was a storehouse-transport, not a military vessel. It wasn't designed to take fire (as it's being shot down proved) or even be in overtly-dangerous situations - it wasn't even designed to enter an atmosphere. For the purpose it was designed for, I personally don't think there's that big an an issue in it's layout.

Also:
    I just find this funny, it doesn't mean I'm pissed off by it (just like a lot of game logic) and you're taking this WAY too seriously.

No offense, but you created a whole topic to talk about this; doesn't that make you the one taking this seriously? ;)

You might want to take into account the fact that the ship... well, exploded. From an internal blast. Which probably either collapsed, tore apart or outright atomized whole decks worth of rooms - and that's not even counting the huge cargo-space where mined resources and ship-sized phase-gate parts were put, which would have taken up a significant portion of the ship's space.

Sigh. Apparently I'll have to post a screenshot how the ship looks like from the inside. You obviously haven't entered the ship in freecam. I'll post the screenshot ASAP.
    I just find this funny, it doesn't mean I'm pissed off by it (just like a lot of game logic) and you're taking this WAY too seriously.

No offense, but you created a whole topic to talk about this; doesn't that make you the one taking this seriously? ;)

No. I'm telling a joking about game logic. People do that a lot, including SN players. Even create new threads for this, like I did. But because it's only a joke, I posted it to "general discussion". If was serious, I would've posted it to "bug reporting" or "Ideas and suggestions"

Also, "paperthin walls" doesn't really gel as a complaint - it was a storehouse-transport, not a military vessel. It wasn't designed to take fire (as it's being shot down proved) or even be in overtly-dangerous situations - it wasn't even designed to enter an atmosphere.

Yeah, because only military vessels have to sustain the pressure difference between the ship's internals and the vacuum of space