Bigger Submarine Concept - My own 3D model

Comments

• gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    edited April 2017
    Minder wrote: »
    UPDATE!!!

Hi guys! I need your opinions! I'm currently working on the texturing of the exterior of the submarine. But i have also thought about the layout of the rooms inside it. So i have quickly came out with this :

SUBNAUTICA_INTERIOR_complete.pnghebergement image

Tell me what do you think, and if i must continue toward this idea :)

you forgot the galley (kitchen and dinning area)

is this thing going to be built fully furnished or unfurnished like the cyclops and any idea for the recipe i think it would be cool for it to just spawn somewhere on the map (that's deep enough) then have to find it and activate its beacon
    TheRaccoon wrote: »
    I was looking at the subnautica trello and found that after 1.0 they might add 10 things from the community! this could be a chance to get the atlas in the game! :smiley:

who knows how they will even go about it but it would be cool to have this
    perhaps if we all help with ideas and code it the devs may consider it :|
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    The Atlas: for when you've had it with stalkers and reapers.
    If the devs actually implant this into the game, i might cry with joy.
    Keep up the good work! Take all the time you need :)
    In my opinion though, the circle things on the side should be escape pods, for if something happens to the Atlas (sorta like the new cyclops, whenever it comes out. Any day now guys!)
  • mistermanbruhmistermanbruh netherlands Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225293Members
    jeod wrote: »
    In my opinion though, the circle things on the side should be escape pods, for if something happens to the Atlas (sorta like the new cyclops, whenever it comes out. Any day now guys!)

those "circles" are escape pods, you would know if you actualy read this forum
    Ok, now that I'm on an actual computer, not a tablet, I've got some things to say.
    1. This is a really neat concept that would indeed be a great addition to Subnautica that could also be an opening to co-op (wink wink).
    2. Personally I think it should be sortof an endgame vehicle that is practically a moving base, but is EXPENSIVE. If it was as cheap as the cyclops or P.R.A.W.N suit, it would ruin the feeling of accomplishment (as well as the FPS, for then there'd be Atlas's everywhere, and my poor laptop can barely handle the game as it is)
    3. If this is never implanted into the game, then maybe it could be made as a mod. The mod could include the Atlas as well as a extra biome, which would fill in the void areas. The biome could be really deep, and could be called The Unknown. As I can see that you are just a graphics kind of person, you could maybe join up with an actual mod maker. This is just a suggestion because no matter what, I really want to see this in the game.
    4. Yes. School. Ahhh. I completely understand. Take all the time you need. I'd rather have a beautiful piece of art rather than a cruddy ship just because we couldn't wait.
    5. finally:

those "circles" are escape pods, you would know if you actualy read this forum

Dude, it was 11:00 at night, I was half asleep. Ok?
  • TimtheBigDaddyTimtheBigDaddy Syracuse, New York, USA Join Date: 2017-04-28 Member: 230066Members
    I like this. We should be able to dock the Cyclops in it.
  • NickHowler337NickHowler337 Malaysia Join Date: 2017-03-28 Member: 229250Members
    We need a deep shallows for this fat@$$.

?

deep shallows?
    also rather then escape pods i would go with say a much larger version of the scanner-room drones as something like this would be endgame and probably invulnerable.

like say after you launch in your rocket and after the credits you re-spawn in life pod 5 with your base and everything you had with the addition of the atlas is spawned somewhere (deep-enough for it) on the map or it is already in game but can't access it until you beat the game once on survival or hardcore
    The after you beat the game sounds like a great idea!
    I still like the concept of mini lifepods though...
  • NickHowler337NickHowler337 Malaysia Join Date: 2017-03-28 Member: 229250Members

?
    deep shallows?[/quote]

?

deep shallows?
    Cuz oxymorons & logic
  • MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members
    Hiiiiiiii guyyyyyyyyyyyyys!!! I'm back for sure now! :p and i have got a lot of things to said!

First of all, i still want to thank you all of you guys for being still supportive for the project, this motivates me to go even further :)

I know i am late from what i told you but now i'm good. Indeed my 3D model of the aircraft took me far more time than what i thought, but this is because i wanted to push my limits, especially on texturing (I will put a picture at the end, but it is not finished yet). Thanks to that, i'm now confident on my ability to unwrap a model, and then make the texture, with diffuse, specular, normal maps ... that i can put on the Atlas!
    Moreover, I didn't want to come back with nothing to show you, so i took several days to continue the project, and show you some new stuff! Currently, at school we are working full time on the final project (we have to make our own video game), i don't have any homework to do, so now i'm really free on my personal works, and i really want to do everything i can for the Atlas (from basic modelling to animation)!

So now, it's time for the cool stuff, what i did on the project! :D First of all, you have to know that, as i said, i have changed the 3D software i am working on, so i moved the past 3D model from Blender to Maya, and i have entirely did it again. Indeed, with the new techniques I have learned, i was able to improve it. So what's new? The mesh itself it now cleaner and optimized, useless edges has been removed, and I put others where i needed the most. There are also some parts of the submarine which didn't look right so i have also fixed them. Furthermore, a lot of people complained about the fact that the sub was too big to fit in the game. I cannot really fix that because of the design, but i tried to do something : the tail fin is smaller, and i have shortened the back of the submarine because it was too damm long (it is now about 5 meters shorter than the previous version).
    Another important point i changed is the UV mapping, because it was really crap (i don't know now how i could do so bad xD). It is now all cleaned up and everything ( not really optimized, there are still a lot of empty spaces, but this is kind of hard because there are many small objects). Therefore i have to redo the whole texture, but now it will be so much easier and fancier. I'm actually on that part, i have just finished to unwrap my model and exported it to photoshop, so i'm going to do the texture now on.
    And now the most interesting part at the end : the actual interior of the Atlas. Indeed, during the process of making again the overall structure of the submarine, i have paid attention to the space the interior would take. So now, all the (very) basic shapes of the rooms are made, so i wont deal with problems later on. I will put a picture of it; you wont see a lot of things, but at least the rooms are here. I think that, in the future, actual screenshots inside the submarine would be better. And even more, if i export the 3D model of the Atlas in Unity, i could do a video showing me walking along the rooms! But now i have to focus on the texture ^^

Argh! i'm talking too much, i need pictures in my books! Yes they are here!

This looks amazing!! I'm so glad you're back!
    The tail still looks proportionate, so that's great! And the interior looks like it's going to look fabulous as well!
    As for the plane: I think it looks well cleaned and very smooth, you obviously spent time on it!
    Keep up the good work!
    How many meters is this again?
    This looks amazing!! I'm so glad you're back!
    The tail still looks proportionate, so that's great! And the interior looks like it's going to look fabulous as well!
    As for the plane: I think it looks well cleaned and very smooth, you obviously spent time on it!
    Keep up the good work!

Thank you dude! :D i appreciate the compliments ;)
    How many meters is this again?

According to the little guy i placed next to the sub, if he is 1.8 meter tall, the Atlas would be ... only 66 meters long. wtf i didn't expect this result, if i compare with the cyclops, which is, according to the wiki, 54 meters long xD
    It is also 16 meters tall (Cyclops is 14.2), and 14.4 wide (Cyclops is 12.6). This is really weird, because actually the Atlas is not that big compare to the Cyclops, it seems to me that the datas are wrong, because when i look at my 3D model compare to the little guy, it looks really big.
    edited May 2017
    But that's just an approximation of the guys height,who knows if the 22nd century has decreased the average size of a human?
  • mistermanbruhmistermanbruh netherlands Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225293Members
    hi guys! i've got an idea. maybe there could be hints to the sub in the degasi bases, and they say you need to go to the degasi wreck (when implemented) and then you come there (its in the void) ther'se atlas wreck and you scan it and then you can build it or something
  • NepsterCZNepsterCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2017-05-07 Member: 230330Members
    This looks amazing! Are you painting those textures by hand, or are you tracing them from the ingame textures?
    NepsterCZ wrote: »
    This looks amazing! Are you painting those textures by hand, or are you tracing them from the ingame textures?

What do you mean exactly by "tracing them from the ingame textures"? Because otherwise, i'm doing everything by hand, line by line just with the only concept art of the sub i have :)

• NepsterCZNepsterCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2017-05-07 Member: 230330Members
    I worded that poorly. I meant if you are using modified ingame textures, or you made them ourself. You kinda answered my question tho. They look real good, I wish I was this good with texturing work
  • NVMGamerNVMGamer Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230464Members
    I WOULD LOVE THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE GAME, damn that looks good from that 2D art, imagine what could go in it? a nuclear reactor? a science bay that has DNA scanners or something of the sort.Maybe it could be the dawn of a new Subnautican Era if this was added
  • TheRaccoonTheRaccoon Australia Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228921Members
    so happy you're back! cant wait to see the new textures being made! also think about the interior textures and what equipment will go into the cockpit, like the new holograms they have, and other cool things to looks at.
    keep up the good work! :D
    NepsterCZ wrote: »
    I worded that poorly. I meant if you are using modified ingame textures, or you made them ourself. You kinda answered my question tho. They look real good, I wish I was this good with texturing work

ahah, you just need a lot of time and precision :p
    NVMGamer wrote: »
    I WOULD LOVE THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE GAME, damn that looks good from that 2D art, imagine what could go in it? a nuclear reactor? a science bay that has DNA scanners or something of the sort.Maybe it could be the dawn of a new Subnautican Era if this was added

thinks bro! :D actually i have already planned what will be inside of the sub, if you check previous posts, you can see a picture of the rooms layout :)
    TheRaccoon wrote: »
    so happy you're back! cant wait to see the new textures being made! also think about the interior textures and what equipment will go into the cockpit, like the new holograms they have, and other cool things to looks at.
    keep up the good work! :D

Then i'm happy if you are happy! Don't worry about that, i have taken several screenshots of the current Cyclops to be as close as the Subnautica art direction! I'm going to put an update of the texturing soon, so stay around here :p
    I never noticed that you posted that interior thing but this would be amazing, it looks like the dev team made it themselves. keep up the good work mate.
    edited May 2017
    UPDATE!

We are going into the real stuff now guys! I have finally went further than the previous version of the Atlas! :D I have mainly worked on texturing, but also fixed several small things.

This is very long and sometimes boring because it requires a lot of precision so i always need to tweak it ^^ I have nothing more to say, just that i still try to be as close as the original concept art. I would say that more than 75% of texturing is done, and then i will move on modelling the interior, which will be another completely different challenge.

Finally, i wanted to talk about the different texture map for the 3D model. Of course i will put the Diffuse map and the ambiant occlusion, but i also want to put the normal map and the glow map.
    The first one is to add details on the surface, like when there is a hole or something, so the lightning will behave in a different way. But the problem is that i have optimized too much the texture, by doing only one side (the other one is then just a mirror). But this technique doesn't work for the normal map (i will show you an example with a picture) so i will have to make 2 texture, one for each side, so it will take more ressources from your computer :/
    The glow map should create some area that would emit light, like in the concept art, this is not just flat metal surface, there is also some lights on the sub. I have never work with that, but i think that would work, i just need to know how to test it because it wont show it in the viewport of the software, and the rendering of the sub is completely broken ^^ But don't worry i'm going to talk about that with my teachers :)

edit: i have also updated the model on sketchfab! go see it here! : https://sketchfab.com/models/882cf50545524b86b7e3ffe2b0cbd511

And now the pictures!

And here is the effect of the normal map, and then why this doesn't work for now
    oh dear, that's not good
    was that hole in the roof always there?

anyway, got an idea: how about we use an ion matrix as power source?
    edited May 2017
    https://www.tinkercad.com/things/ferCaRsXYTB-subnautica-atlas-interior-v1

i build a very small bridge interior:

blue is the hatch
    that stupid thing on top is the steering thingi
    the walls are windoes!

BTW, maybe you can use Lumion (3D builder)
    was that hole in the roof always there?

anyway, got an idea : how about we use an ion matrix as power source?

For that hole, nope it wasn't there, and we cannot see it on the concept art, but after all, I thought we really need this to see above us, because the view is very restricted.
    And for that idea of a ion matrix, again, this is not my part, all those suggestion are for the devs :)
    https://www.tinkercad.com/things/ferCaRsXYTB-subnautica-atlas-interior-v1

i build a very small bridge interior:

blue is the hatch
    that stupid thing on top is the steering thingi
    the walls are windoes!

BTW, maybe you can use Lumion (3D builder)

yep, very interesting, this is also vaguely what i had in mind, but i will follow the concept art above all.
    What is Lumion? i just googled it, and it seems to just be a rendering software so no modeling. And Maya is the best software to use, especially for this kind of work for a game, I won't change it, because i started the project on Maya
    Minder, you just made my day.
    I can't explain that feeling that I get whenever I see this, but I bet you know what I'm talking about. That feeling of joy, hope, and the sheer time you poured into this thing. I can feel it all. And I love it.
    I must admit, it feels a bit too small. It now just feels like the Cyclops again. The original artwork was, I admit, huge. But I feel like you shrunk it down too much. Find that medium.
    And as always, keep up the good work!!
This discussion has been closed.