Timer problems in these forums

Comments

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I know that may sound naive, but can't you solve the Spambot problem by a good "I am not a Robot"-check? Or are those already obsulete nowadays? You could use one at the registration and maybe for a new thread until you reached a certain amount of posts maybe?

IIRC, yes that solves bots registering. It doesn't solve people registering and then handing control of the account over to a bot. You'd have to put a check (probably re-CAPTCHA) on the login itself, and that still wouldn't work if you told it to stay logged in.

OK, perhaps have re-CAPTCHA for all accounts AND disable "stay logged in" options, up to the 30-day mark. Would that zap'em?
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    I dunno how the spam bots work but I wonder if the forum software would allow for changing a button to text with an onclick so bots can't tell what the actual create thread button is
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Foxy wrote: »
    @AceDude can we solve this problem for people by 'Verifying' them if they don't have the >100 posts and 30 days requirement?

I don't get that. What do you mean?
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    AceDude wrote: »
    @AceDude can we solve this problem for people by 'Verifying' them if they don't have the >100 posts and 30 days requirement?

I think they mean some sort of super-CAPTCHA if the account is under 100 posts and 30 days existence.
  • haileoseohaileoseo Join Date: 2017-05-10 Member: 230394Members
    I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post.
    - <a href="http://fivenightsat-freddys.com/">five nights at freddy's</a>
    - <a href="http://lennyface-generator.com/">lenny face</a>
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    @haileoseo what's this? Sarcastic irony bot...
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    AceDude wrote: »

If you click on 'Not Verified' on someone's profile it'll change to 'Verified', I believe to bypass any pre-moderation/spam filters. It may not be a problem now you've relaxed the rule though :)
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yeah, I don't want to handle that manually. Let's wait and see.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice, I have been looking around these forums for 2 days to find why i am an advance user - now i know why :smiley:

edited May 2017
    And I tried to edit a new discussion I just created within 240s and got another blasted spam block. And I can't save the editted post until another 600s passes. And again when I tried to edit an initial post within 240s of saving the previous edit. I checked and the edit gets saved (which isn't apparent).
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    And I tried to edit a new discussion I just created within 240s and got another blasted spam block. And I can't save the editted post until another 600s passes. And again when I tried to edit an initial post within 240s of saving the previous edit.

Is it really blocked?

I've gotten that message but have found upon refreshing the page that the edit went through anyway.

B)
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Is it really blocked?

I've gotten that message but have found upon refreshing the page that the edit went through anyway.
    I found that out after pulling up the topic again. I've updated my post. But the behaviour and the block is unwelcome.
    Jacke wrote: »
    Is it really blocked?

I found that out after pulling up the topic again. I've updated my post. But the behaviour and the block is unwelcome.

This may be the only option for now till They figure out something else?

Though it seems that other options involve Them having to Manually/Visually edit each post in some manner, which is probably a non-starter.
    B)
    Yeah I just got the notification about having posted yada yada and waiting 600 seconds. Hit save again, message was still there, then hit back, refresh, change was applied.
  • CronanDarkGamerYTCronanDarkGamerYT Join Date: 2017-04-28 Member: 230086Members
    ive been on here for maybe almost a week... only yesterday do i get the notification to wait a day to post. and now today... i cant post... HELP!!
  • CronanDarkGamerYTCronanDarkGamerYT Join Date: 2017-04-28 Member: 230086Members
    ive been on here for maybe almost a week... only yesterday do i get the notification to wait a day to post. and now today... i cant post... HELP!!

nvm... after i posted this comment it told me i was promoted to reg user and i can post now... wot?!?!? u gotta tell us this so we understand.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    If those changes to editing and posting succeed in foiling the bloody Spambots, I'm all for it.

It's worth sucking up a minor inconvenience or two.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    If those changes to editing and posting succeed in foiling the bloody Spambots, I'm all for it.

It's worth sucking up a minor inconvenience or two.

I completely agree.

Also, why are these people waiting their ad revenue on forums who don't speak their language?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • NepsterCZNepsterCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2017-05-07 Member: 230330Members
    What I can't understand is this. After 1 day and 1 comment, I can make a new thread. Right? But I can't edit my own posts? How can that possibly have to do anything with spambots? It is like protection against some spam bot that would start one thread, and then continuously edit the main post? Why not just spam new threads then? Which is something they can do.

Honestly, this is extremely mind boggling to me. As someone who wants to update their initial post, so I don't have to spam useless comments like "Hey guys, I did a minor update to my model, check it out", this sounds just the exact opposite of what you guys are trying to avoid. It just creates more spam.

And the 100 message limit for free edits? Who came up with that number. I personally speak only when I have something to say, so 100 messages can mean months for me. At least give me some alternative way for me to verify im not a spambot. Maybe after 100 reactions? That way, I wont have to spam 100 useless messages, but maybe only 10 that actually say something worth "liking/disliking/awesoming".
    edited May 2017
    I think you probably just proved that you aren't a spambot.
    B)
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I know that may sound naive, but can't you solve the Spambot problem by a good "I am not a Robot"-check? Or are those already obsulete nowadays? You could use one at the registration and maybe for a new thread until you reached a certain amount of posts maybe?

IIRC, yes that solves bots registering. It doesn't solve people registering and then handing control of the account over to a bot. You'd have to put a check (probably re-CAPTCHA) on the login itself, and that still wouldn't work if you told it to stay logged in.

OK, perhaps have re-CAPTCHA for all accounts AND disable "stay logged in" options, up to the 30-day mark. Would that zap'em?

Some forums have a CAPTCHA always when posting or editing. Maybe that?
    I think you probably just proved that your aren't a spambot.
    B)

Not In the eyes of the forum tho. I mean, we both know Im not a spammer, but that doesn't elevate my to "non-spammer" category :/
    NepsterCZ wrote: »
    B)

Not In the eyes of the forum tho. I mean, we both know Im not a spammer, but that doesn't elevate my to "non-spammer" category :/

If you PM the mods AceDude or Foxy whenever you need edits, they'll realize soon enough, as far as I know there's a way to manually override the user category.
    B)

If you PM the mods AceDude or Foxy whenever you need edits, they'll realize soon enough, as far as I know there's a way to manually override the user category.

I already asked one of them, if I could be elevated to the "normal" use faster, they declined. PMing them every time I need a edit is borderline being a passive-aggressive asshole :D
    B)

I already asked one of them, if I could be elevated to the "normal" use faster, they declined. PMing them every time I need a edit is borderline being a passive-aggressive asshole :D

Not your problem; just compile a list of edits and PM every so often. It'd probably be easier to just post the edits as a new post in the thread, and ask for it to be merged into the OP by @mentioning the mods.
    B)

Not your problem; just compile a list of edits and PM every so often. It'd probably be easier to just post the edits as a new post in the thread, and ask for it to be merged into the OP by @mentioning the mods.

Nah, I was a moderator of a forum once. Mods are for moderating, not for being my servants :D
    B)

Nah, I was a moderator of a forum once. Mods are for moderating, not for being my servants :D

They said they didn't mind editing OPs within reason, and it's not like they'll be bombarded, as anyone with > 100 posts and a month old user account shouldn't need help. Eh, just add what you need by quoting the OP and adding it to the thread. It'll help get your postcount up, as well.
    B)

They said they didn't mind editing OPs within reason, and it's not like they'll be bombarded, as anyone with > 100 posts and a month old user account shouldn't need help. Eh, just add what you need by quoting the OP and adding it to the thread. It'll help get your postcount up, as well.

We'll see :P
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    B)

We'll see :P