No Prompt To Change Batteries?

KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
Been a while since I last played, but I thought there used to be a message when the tool you're using ran out of power and you had to change batteries.

Tonight my scanner exhausted its battery but no prompt appeared on screen. I had to Google it to remember that you press R to switch batteries. Would be less confusing if that info appeared in the game.

Comments

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    You're absolutely right: there used to be a message.

Huh...that's weird. Houston, we may've found a bug.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    While we're at it, I'd like to suggest doing something about the "(F) Self-Scan" prompt that first appeared with the Infected update. I noticed now after the Silent Running update, there is a new keybinding under Options > Keyboard settings for "Tool alternate use" (default being F). I have to say, I am just a tiny bit put-off that the Scanner doesn't show the power level anymore, as "(F) Self-Scan" shows up prominently instead. And I know, I can just hit R to open the 'Change Battery" submenu to see the power level, but it's irritating that I have to do extra steps just to check the battery's power, especially if I don't need to change said battery. Also not to mention, while I do hope the Alternate Use function is expanded to include other tools as well, if more tools get more functions, then a solution to keep the power levels on screen with their additional info will be sorely needed. :(
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017
    It's possibly ONE, maybe TWO additional seconds to press the R-button to see the power level on the Scanner...

Are we really that lazy?

Do we really need the game to do EVERYTHING for us??
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    It's possibly ONE, maybe TWO additional seconds to press the R-button to see the power level on the Scanner...

Are we really that lazy?

With that same logic, your phone/laptop/whatever uses a battery shouldn't show how much is left and instead you'd have to take the battery out and check the percentage from a little screen on it
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members

Are we really that lazy?

It's still rather annoying to have to stop and do that. Though its more like 10 seconds if you happen to be in the late game and suffer from slideshow syndrome.
    Ojakokko wrote: »

Are we really that lazy?

With that same logic, your phone/laptop/whatever uses a battery shouldn't show how much is left and instead you'd have to take the battery out and check the percentage from a little screen on it

Not quite...

Your comparing something in REAL Life with pushing a second key on your keyboard for a game.

There's a very large loss of comparison there.

That's not even logical.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    edited May 2017

Are we really that lazy?

So asking why a convenient feature, that used to be in the game, was removed is an indication of laziness? That having the battery charge always indicated when a tool was selected was something, that somehow 'did everything' for us? Or that knowing the charge without having to stop and manually check it somehow put the game into Easy Mode?

Your posts seem to suggest that line of reasoning, at least.
    edited May 2017
    Recently, quite a few things in the game have changed for what many have somewhat described as Not the Better...

This particular change is not what I would call game breaking, nor that terribly inconvenient.

B)
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    While we're at it, I'd like to suggest doing something about the "(F) Self-Scan" prompt that first appeared with the Infected update. I noticed now after the Silent Running update, there is a new keybinding under Options > Keyboard settings for "Tool alternate use" (default being F). I have to say, I am just a tiny bit put-off that the Scanner doesn't show the power level anymore, as "(F) Self-Scan" shows up prominently instead. And I know, I can just hit R to open the 'Change Battery" submenu to see the power level, but it's irritating that I have to do extra steps just to check the battery's power, especially if I don't need to change said battery. Also not to mention, while I do hope the Alternate Use function is expanded to include other tools as well, if more tools get more functions, then a solution to keep the power levels on screen with their additional info will be sorely needed. :(

If the stasis rifle gets an alternate use, there should be a shotgun mode.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited May 2017
    Ojakokko wrote: »

Are we really that lazy?

Not quite...

Your comparing something in REAL Life with pushing a second key on your keyboard for a game.

There's a very large loss of comparison there.

That's not even logical.

Well, if you want in-game instead of real life, there's the fact that both the Habitat Builder and SeaGlide have light-up LEDS that show battery power just by looking at the device (no HUD info). I imagine the devs could add something like that to the Scanner; or at the least add a percentage meter to the default "Ready" image on the LCD screen.

I would like to point out though, that for over a year the scanner had a normal power reading just like every other tool, before they added the "Self Scan" tooltip. So me asking for that functionality back IMHO isn't terribly selfish or lazy. :wink:
  • SubnauticaCyclopsSubnauticaCyclops Join Date: 2017-05-12 Member: 230460Members
    SeaGlide shows power just by the Terrain thingy. Normally it says Exchange Power Source [R] when the machine dies, i.e. Scanner, SeaGlide, Laser Cutter, Welder, Stasis Rifle, and the other things that use batteries. :p