Fan Theory: There ARE survivors to be found in Subnautica!

TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
(Disclaimer: Read the entire post fully before replying, thanks! :tongue:)

Ah, welcome to my parlor, young enthusiasts of knowledge! I, the renowned spinner of theories, have returned once again with an idea that will not only knock your socks off, but be prepared to be rocked to your very core! Simply sit back, and let me regale you with my knowledge of the unknown, and my implausibly deniable research into the matter...

So, by now most of us know the gist of what happens to the survivor on Planet 4546B: They escape a firey death from the Aurora detonating, survive a freefall drop in their Lifepod and suffer a concussion, then awaken three hours later with no lasting physical or mental issues. However, as you play through the game, you notice other Lifepods that also made it but their occupants are nowhere to be found. How can it be that only one person managed to have made it? Assuming the worst and everyone else perished, there's the fact that some form of remains would have to be found: blood or tattered clothing left behind from a predatory creature; a skeleton or such from a corpse that was exposed to the elements; or even photographs taken of their captors left behind in their PDA if they were kidnapped. But no such evidence exists... It's as though what remained of the human survivors simply poofed into nothingness. Well, after some careful research I think I have arrived at a solution that finally lays this mystery to bed!

First off, when we start to explore the surroundings in the early game, what remains of the Aurora is very prominent. So much so, that it's one of the most prominent 'landmasses' in the game, which should be home to many a human, alive or dead. There's not much to be found there once you're to the point of exploring it. There are however, no traces of humans to be found - just the scavenging Cave Crawlers found scuttling around the wreckage. Moving on to later in the game, there are two islands to explore: the Floating Island which was home to three survivors from the Degasi, and the Mountain Islands, where Keen ordered the remaining crew to gather to. No human remains are found there, except once again - Cave Crawlers everywhere. So what does this mean?

Brace yourselves fellows, because this is where the lore takes a dark turn... The Cave Crawlers ARE the human survivors! No seriously, think about it: Where are the places that Cave Crawlers only appear? That's right, only where humans were known to have congregated at for periods of time. There are only a few Cave Crawlers on the Floating Island - perhaps what remains of the Degasi survivors? More show up on the Mountain Island, perhaps these were the ones who left the Lifepods and were awaiting rescue. Then there's the Aurora - over a dozen of them show up on the broken decks of the crumpled ship, who could possibly be remaining from the original crew of the starship. The PDA announces as you pass by them that "samples of human remains are found in their digestive tract"... well, it's partially correct. Perhaps the PDA is holding back information that their entire body is made up of human DNA and decides the survivor can't cope with this information. So the best it decides on for their well-being is to mislead with partially accurate information, and let the survivor assume the crew was just consumed... but if that were true, where are their skeletons, their clothing, the pools of blood? Finally, Planet 4546B is teeming with dozens of aquatic lifeforms... except only one where the creatures cannot swim at all, even when exposed to water... I give you lovely people... the Cave Crawler. :open_mouth:

Now, I know some of you have questions regarding this wildly entertaining and completely factual theory, so I will address them with the help of my trusty PDA unit: Logically Intelligent Examination System™ (patent pending)

1. If humans are mutating into Cave Crawlers, why isn't the player affected?
Well, to put it simply, the mutagen as it were seems to thrive on propogation - if there are many people around, then the biological agent can work faster, thus rendering transformation far more quickly. This explains the grouping of Cave Crawlers on both Islands and the Aurora - with so many people in play, they had a hand into their untimely fates. However, our survivor manages to avoid his spindly fate as he was the only pod with just one person around; other pods with sole occupants such as medical officer Danby and Emissary Jochi Kassar were killed on impact, so my research led me to conclude this factual theory is of sound principle (so far).

2. Regarding the Degasi survivors, there is evidence to be found they built TWO bases away from their Island. What gives, dude?
Ah, an excellent question! Well, at first there seemed to be conflicting evidence putting my research at risk, so I came to the most logical conclusion possible: it was all a fabrication, a ruse! What, I wouldn't mislead you fine upstanding people! No, in order to maintain my er um... cohesive research, I concluded that Paul and Bart were already succumbing to their devious fate. The stories of Marguerit waylaying a Reaper Leviathan and other terrifying creatures of the deep, were due to equal parts guilt of their fate, her losing her only companions, and denial of slowly giving in to her skittery nature. With just a short time of humanity remaining, she falsified her accounts and left behind appropriate 'evidence', then returned to the only place her fellow creatures enjoyed... the sanctity of their lush paradise. Yes yes, it's very touching I know... but remember, always being honest in matters of science is a must when maintaining integrity. Why are you looking at me that way?

3. But if humans were truly mutated into Cave Crawlers, there's the issue of the loss in body mass, remnants of clothing left behind... many things don't add up...
Ah er um... well, look at the time! I think that's all the time we have left for this seminar! Are you ready to go, my sweet LIES?
*LIES buzzes frantically with smoke puffing out of its case*
Oh, um... Aha! She must be working on some new unquestionable evidence! Toodles to all, and if you have any further questions, please contact my support team at Frequent Response Agency Undertaking Debates. Be well everyone! :blush:

(P.S. This all came about from a random thought the other day, wondering why Cave Crawlers only appear where humans were supposed to be: The end result basically became "Plan 9 From Outer Space" - basically the most bizarre but barely conceivable plot line that could maybe somehow support the idea? :lol: Anyways, as soon as I had the idea I quickly came up with counter arguments that poked holes in the entire thing... but the theory was too much fun to toss away, so I spun the idea into a "professor" giving a lecture on his wildly absurd "research"... there hopefully has been enough snark sprinkled into my post as to show it's NOT to be taken seriously. :smirk: And like my previous fan theory, it took a life of its own and was a lot of fun to write! It's just a silly idea I had, and I hope you all enjoyed it!) :blush:

Comments

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited May 2017
    Ok, nice theory, but:

A: If carar mutates creature, wouldn't it do it randomly? That's how mutation works, right?
    B: Um... what about the dunes? There are TONS of them there.
    C: What about the blood crawlers - The pda says they are a subspecies.

Just a thought...
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    If this was a theory concocted halfway through an episode of TOS star trek as a possible explanation to the mystery at hand, I would say it's 100% plausible.

If I were directing an episode of star trek and this was pitched to me as a storyline, I would say "hell no, that's stupid, get the hell out of my office. And tell Shatner to step up his acting or next episode there won't be any green women."
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    sayerulz wrote: »
    If this was a theory concocted halfway through an episode of TOS star trek as a possible explanation to the mystery at hand, I would say it's 100% plausible.

If I were directing an episode of star trek and this was pitched to me as a storyline, I would say "hell no, that's stupid, get the hell out of my office. And tell Shatner to step up his acting or next episode there won't be any green women."
    Well, it would definitely be among the crappy 1/3 of an episodes a season. And even then a crappy extreme.

Problem is Star Trek Voyager actually did this crappy episode.

"Threshold" S2E15
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited May 2017
    Jacke wrote: »

Well, it would definitely be among the crappy 1/3 of an episodes a season. And even then a crappy extreme.

"Threshold" S2E15

I am wildly impressed you found this

Oh. - and according to wikipedia- "The episode is generally panned by critics, cast, producers and fans alike and is generally considered the worst episode in any Star Trek series."
    edited May 2017
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Jacke wrote: »

"Threshold" S2E15

I am wildly impressed you found this

Oh. - and according to wikipedia- "The episode is generally panned by critics, cast, producers and fans alike and is generally considered the worst episode in any Star Trek series."
    I saw it once and its foul memory is etched into my psyche. I may forget the title but the horror...the horror....

And to be considered the worst, especially when you think of the competition (from third season TOS, DS9 solar sailing between solar systems, the whole mangling and misuse of "Enterprise", etc, etc), well, I'm not sure it is. What I do know is wrong with this episode is that the outcome does not jive at all with what the impact of these events would be on the characters. It's as if they were trying to forget the episode before it was over.

There's Star Trek episodes where one or two characters don't seem right. There are characters and whole alien races disliked. There's ones where characters make wrong decisions considering their nature and position. There's many where even the advanced technology of the shows is just handled wrong. And it's obvious most writers have no true impression of the true time and space scales they're dealing with. But this story is one where the actual story itself, where its impact on the characters, is just bungled.
    The only thing bad about Enterprise was the intro music. Other than that, it was the best star trek series by far and wide. I mean, just the fact that there weren't any tachyon beams is a HUGE plus.
    edited May 2017
    I eventually came to like the Enterprise intro music. What I think sets Enterprise apart is it is the most massively misused Star Trek series. A good premise and likeable characters were burdened with some of the worst stories and arcs. Temporal Cold War ?!? I gave up on it early and only caught a few episodes, but heard so many horror stories. And then the true finale: the last episode was put in a ST:TNG frame that the actors on Enterprise didn't even know about.

And no tachyon beams? Good. But even a stopped clock is right twice a day....
    It's true, the "temporal cold war" sucked. But there weren't that many episodes that dealt with it directly. I think though, that the number of episodes that dealt directly with the temporal cold war was probably pretty close to the number of episodes in other series that just straight up sucked. And the good episodes on Enterprise are WAY better than the "good" episodes of other series.

The ending of Enterprise was absolutely cancerous, there is no doubt about that. Throughout the whole thing, it just felt disrespectful to the whole crew of Enterprise, and all that they had been through, to have Riker playing with them on the holodeck like that. It's like if some rich jerk who never had a real struggle in his life made WWII vets act out his WWII fantasy with him and shouted something like: "look at me, I'm in WWII! I'm going to kill nazis! Bam bam bam!". That may not be the best example, but the point is, it was a terrible ending. Those characters should have gotten the chance to end gracefully, wether that meant retiring or going out in a blaze of glory. The last time we saw them should NOT have been as the holographic toys of someone who wouldn't have what it takes to get through a single episode of Enterprise in one piece and still in starfleet.

But really, is that the only terrible ending? TOS didn't really have an ending. It just sort of... ended. TNG.... what was that all about anyway? That "ending" just seemed super random and confusing. Voyagers ending didn't have anything SUPER wrong with it that I remember, but it just felt a bit.. Meh. Although by the end of the series they had like -63 photon torpedoes, so minus points for making no goddam sense. And as for DS9..... Oh, *shudder* that was just awful. "Alright guys, we won the dominion war! But wait, out of nowhere, EVIL SPACE SPIRITS! OH NO!
    TOS ended the way most series in the 1960's ended, those that weren't canned in the fall due to real poor ratings: well after production finished and not picked up for another year. It was very rare for a show to play out some sort of proper wrapup.

ST:TNG: that was...strange. And kind of unmemorable. Hard to even recall it years later.

ST:DS9: that was...stranger. The whole concept of beings not living in time is crap and not well though out. So it smacks of forced deus ex machina. Really deus.

ST:Voyager: dying, almost glad to see it killed off, even though it had gotten better over the years (no Kazon, Kes, or Neelix, all 3 badly created gone). The series that launched a 1000 'ships puts together the worst possible couple: Seven of Nine and Chakotay ?!? Janeway not satisfied goes out to change things. Could have been a good story there, but more effort was needed.

ST:Enterprise: had to do Voyager one better and take a believable couple and misuse them criminally, culminating in that evil finale.

All of the later ST after TOS (which I saw first-run as a child) I've not really likely except after the problems got worked out somewhat, so I ended up missing a lot of episodes. Voyager was the one I like the most. Enterprise was the one that I felt was mishandled the most.
    Well, perhaps enterprise is just best enjoyed on netflix, where you can skip the bad ones and never, EVER watch the last one.
    Well, I made a thing involving the degasi: (I was bored)
    0xe98364v329.jpg
    you know, Degrasi / Degrassi? fine.
  • marklememecanmarklememecan U.S. Join Date: 2017-06-29 Member: 231464Members
    edited June 2017
    Seems like it could be entirely possible, given how the PDA even states that *paraphrasing* the carar does make altercations to the DNA structure. Although, one thing still bothers me; the fact that we (as the player) have only been out a few hours, and mutation/evolution takes place over decades. Though with the carar, it does speed things up to weeks. (considering in-game it takes a couple weeks to find the lost river base, which is where we find out about the physical altering abilities of the carar.)
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Did anyone else notice that Frequent Response Agency Undertaking Debates spells FRAUD? Though I saw the PS, i was just wondering.

I thought this idea would be great, if it were more realistic, like what would mutate the survivors, a more detailed description on why the cave crawlers have HUMAN DNA in the body, and where would the clothes go, parts of it would still be on the was human, now's a weird, alien creature with more legs then a human.
  • newtheorysdudenewtheorysdude new theory's dude Join Date: 2019-04-05 Member: 252169Members
    this is baloney they did not i have my own theory check it out and you can see the real one :):D:p
  • RockaBen99RockaBen99 Join Date: 2019-03-26 Member: 251971Members
    It's intresting...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited April 2019
    That rattling sound you're hearing is my eyeballs on the floor. Look at the date in the OP, newbies. smh

Oh, and

Necro-1.jpg