Devs discourage food crops by making farming damage your base

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
Starting out in the game, it is a bit of work to catch fish for food. But once you visit the floating island and gather the crops there, you never want for food again. There is not really a need to ever catch fish again. The developers don't really like that you don't have to catch fish anymore. One thing they did to somewhat stop you from only eating crops was to cause health damage if you only eat a ton of one crop. But that's not really that big of deal as long as you rotate around a couple of crops.

Now, the developers have a MUCH stronger way of preventing you from eating only food crops and to encourage you to get out and catch fish more. Now, when you farm crops in your base, the survival knife pierces the hull and causes flooding. I guess it wasn't enough that they made the Cyclops take damage. Now, your base also is no longer invincible either!

Typically, you use the knife for the following:

1. Convert melons to seeds to re-plant.
2. Gather samples from the "water tree"

And when you use the knife, you often hit the floor or wall of the base. It takes approximately two hits with the knife to pierce the floor / wall of the base and cause flooding.

Comments

• nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    But if you use chinese potatoes you never have to worry about it #potatozbetterthanmelons
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Chinese Potatoes... I'd eat them if there was butter in the game... and sour cream. But plain? Ewwww!

Melons all the way!

How dare you call meh potatoz bad D:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Butter is a must. Sour cream makes it gourmet.
    I eat meh potatoz salted and eatem just like that :D no need for budder* here
    *did I just reference sdm
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Lantern fruit are great for topping things off.
    ... I'm pretty sure that this is not an intentional feature

I'm pretty sure it was intentional. This is the start of a new campaign of loss of durability of everything in the game. First, it was the Cyclops. Second, is the base. What will be third?

I've heard rumors there is a chance bone shark damage may DETONATE your oxygen tanks, and this risk is multiplied by the number of oxygen tanks!! That's why from now on, I'm swimming with NONE at all when there are bone sharks in the water!

Can you imagine... you are swimming inside a wreck... you barely have enough oxygen to make it back to your Seamoth or PRAWN... Then, a boneshark hits you on the way out and BOOM goes your oxygen tank! Ouch! Then, Subnautica will truly be a HORROR game.

And... 100% chance of oxygen tank explosion when you are attacked by a Reaper Leviathan. But does it kill the Reaper? It might be worth it!

Okay. Enough joking around. :)

• Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    garath wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it was intentional. This is the start of a new campaign of loss of durability of everything in the game. First, it was the Cyclops. Second, is the base. What will be third?

I've heard rumors there is a chance bone shark damage may DETONATE your oxygen tanks, and this risk is multiplied by the number of oxygen tanks!! That's why from now on, I'm swimming with NONE at all when there are bone sharks in the water!

Can you imagine... you are swimming inside a wreck... you barely have enough oxygen to make it back to your Seamoth or PRAWN... Then, a boneshark hits you on the way out and BOOM goes your oxygen tank! Ouch! Then, Subnautica will truly be a HORROR game.

And... 100% chance of oxygen tank explosion when you are attacked by a Reaper Leviathan. But does it kill the Reaper? It might be worth it!

Ah, ending so soon? Please, this line of baseless conspiracies is too good to waste...

I also heard rumors that if a Cyclops sinks, in truth it gives birth to two mini cyclops, both too young to be usable.
  • william1134william1134 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226439Members
    Well.... at the moment, preserved fish is the only way to take food with you on long journeys.

• HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Bases and the Cyclops were nerfed because devs wanted the predators to be a bigger threat for both. Being able to knife your base to death is an unfortunate side effect.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    fun and sillyness aside.
    The fix would be simple to make your fullness of food have deminishing returns on all.
    Reset timers when you have eating other other samples of food.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Well.... at the moment, preserved fish is the only way to take food with you on long journeys.

Dont forget the Nutrition Blocks and the vending machine's snacks. I know the blocks are of somewhat limited numbers but right now theres so many lying in boxes in alot of wrecks that i often find way more than i'd ever need.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members

Well, just catch the fish and use a heat blade. That's how I do it, anyway.
    I usually keep cured Peeper / Reginald for long trips and eat melon/bulbo when I'm in my base.

Wow! Just had a funny thought... Consider:

1. You cannot use your knife to damage the Cyclops.
    2. The Cyclops doesn't take damage when you leave it.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Forget using the Cyclops as a mode of transport... Nope! The Cyclops is your best friend when it comes to farming! :)

Farming Cyclops FTW! :)

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    And when you use the knife, you often hit the floor or wall of the base. It takes approximately two hits with the knife to pierce the floor / wall of the base and cause flooding.

It is advisable to not be drunk on lantern fruit rum when attempting to use a knife.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members

*BOOM!* SUBNAUTICA! MADE BY MICHAEL BAY! *BOOM!*
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    I've found the knife-thru-base thing to be pretty irritating. Been gone for six months, came back to try the new content, and immediately ran into this bug and the one where I try to click on a locker and my character replaces an imaginary battery in an imaginary hand tool instead. The latter is more irritating, because its more frequent, but its not a game changing issue.

The knife thing is really serious, because no matter how much SI your base has, a couple of swipes with your knife starts flooding it. My base has 60+ SI, and trying to harvest a melon (or a Gel Sack in the alien containment) caused immediate and serious damage to my base after just two bad swings. Apparently my knife is a "+5 Sword of Sharpness vs Alterra Tech" magic item. It takes a hundred and thrty swipes to kill a gasopod, but just two to cut through a reinforced titanium alloy wall. I don't routinely carry a repair tool around inside my base, so I had to go get it out of the gear locker while my base flooded. On the upside, I did invent a couple of new swear words, according to my wife.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I'm trying to remember the last time I actually hit my base with my knife... ???

I think it was the very first time I played the game...

Haven't done it since.
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember the last time I actually hit my base with my knife... ???

I think it was the very first time I played the game...

Haven't done it since.

I've done it about six times today, the collision detection seems way off for me. I have moved all of my planters away from the walls and other objects, and I no longer grow Gel Sacks in the AC, I put them outside in a grow bed.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You're not the only one, it's driving some lesser-known streamers I follow a bit batty as well.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Geez, well with each new update comes new bugs to squash I suppose.
  • william1134william1134 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226439Members
    I don't have a vending machine yet, but good tip on the heated knife..
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    The flooding happend to me too but at least in my case that happend because I dit not aim properly at the last row of melons. Has not happend a second time since then. Yes the damage vs. base compared to damage vs. fauna seems not balanced yet but as long as this does not happen with a more careful aim I don't see a big problem in this "feature".
    I don't have a vending machine yet, but good tip on the heated knife..

Thermoknife + Still Suit = extreme endurance when traveling away from your base. Downside is that the knife degrades pretty quickly.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    The flooding happend to me too but at least in my case that happend because I dit not aim properly at the last row of melons. Has not happend a second time since then. Yes the damage vs. base compared to damage vs. fauna seems not balanced yet but as long as this does not happen with a more careful aim I don't see a big problem in this "feature".

Your aim doesn't matter if you don't have the MP room yet. You cut any plant in a corridor and you damage the base, regardless of aim.

"If you have plants you should have the MP room why don't you?"

Because I don't build a MP room until I need one, usually when I get the moonpool. I get as much together as I can before farming to build a new base because I don't like farming for materials. If I have to do it, I want to do it all at once and only once I've finished everything else I can do.

I had to farm 20 copper for all the computer chips to build the basic utilities at my base and the upgrades I needed for the prawn. It takes a long time to get that much copper without the prawn and drill arm.

It's stupid that we can knife a base to death. That shouldn't be a thing.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Herugrim wrote: »
    Your aim doesn't matter if you don't have the MP room yet. You cut any plant in a corridor and you damage the base, regardless of aim.
    Ok I see...never tried to harvest in a normal corridor since the lastest update. And as I said, for me it was "only" a problem with my aim and only happend for the last row (the closest to the outer wall) inside a MPR. So basically yeah you should be able to harvest normally and not damage your base from the inside no matter how carful you aim.

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Does this mean you can harvest the Aurora for titanium, using just your knife, now?
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    I usually keep cured Peeper / Reginald for long trips and eat melon/bulbo when I'm in my base.

2. The Cyclops doesn't take damage when you leave it.

Wait really?
    edited May 2017
    Kellise wrote: »
    The Cyclops doesn't take damage when you leave it.

Wait really?

47545 /main/Made Cyclops completely invincible when the player is not inside 2017-05-05 17:50:12 Scott Thunelius Made Cyclops completely invincible when the player is not inside