Timer problems in these forums

Comments

• AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Happy to help. @Kouji_San bots could create regular posts and then edit them after a while. Never happened before here, but it can happen.

Staff should be able to edit their posts without any limitations.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Aight far enuf, I'm not forum staff anymore though. Got an arrow to the knee during the NS2 healthbar shenanigans, still unclear as to why or who did that, but hey o/
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Skope wrote: »
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Maybe we should sticky a "Beginners Questions & Answers" thread to the top of this forum for folks to use in that manner?
    B)

Beginners Questions and Answers.

Our professional players are standing by to answer your questions! But if you call in the next 30 minutes, well throw in a pro tip with your answer! A €200 value for the low price of free! Just call 1-800-IMA-NOOB. That's 1-800-IMA-NOOB, and get your Subnautica questions answered today!

Sounds like a good idea to me. ;)

You hiring? ;)

Send your resume, and we'll discuss it. :trollface:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    There's always one in the crowd :trollface: But what about those long term first posts in "stickied" or informative threads, which have to be edited from time to time? I for one have a few that require fresh information but cannot be edited anymore

TBH I see no use in enforcing a time limit on edits, having them counting towards spam protection. I've yet to encounter a bot which edits their own posts :D

Yeah, I've got several guides ▼ that way that have needed multiple edits... Perhaps tie unlimited editing into receiving a certain amount of forum badges and / or postcount? See, then if someone took the (very long and tiresome because it requires making posts we vote "agree / awesome") time to get an account that could that become a spam account, you just ban that account, and their months of work are for nothing.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited May 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    There's always one in the crowd :trollface: But what about those long term first posts in "stickied" or informative threads, which have to be edited from time to time? I for one have a few that require fresh information but cannot be edited anymore

TBH I see no use in enforcing a time limit on edits, having them counting towards spam protection. I've yet to encounter a bot which edits their own posts :D

Yeah, I've got several guides ▼ that way that have needed multiple edits... Perhaps tie unlimited editing into receiving a certain amount of forum badges and / or postcount? See, then if someone took the (very long and tiresome because it requires making posts we vote "agree / awesome") time to get an account that could that become a spam account, you just ban that account, and their months of work are for nothing.

Having it tied to post count might be good. I see some forums do things like that, though it can introduce its own form of spam (People creating threads or posts to boost their forum rank). :/

To give one example, Halo Waypoint doesn't allow certain things until you have so many posts but thankfully they don't get much Rank Booster spamming. It's possible, but it doesn't always happen. Dealing with it tends to be easier than dealing with spambots though.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am willing to edit any OPs within reason. PM me a link to the thread and the edits you'd like made.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Aight far enuf, I'm not forum staff anymore though. Got an arrow to the knee during the NS2 healthbar shenanigans, still unclear as to why or who did that, but hey o/

Here you go @Kouji_San, maybe this will help out... :wink:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »

Here you go @Kouji_San, maybe this will help out... :wink:

Thanks, but now all your base are belong to me

Make your time!
    @Foxy @AceDude Can we get a user-group that is manually controlled, based on user request, at the discretion of the board admins?

Basically, if you post and edit a lot, you can request to have your account added as a "Trusted User" so to speak, and if the admins feel you have enough reputation to be trusted, you can be spared the annoyance of spam blocks. If a trusted user gets hacked, you could just suspend the account until it's recovered.

Reason I'm asking is, as far as I know, a lot of really active forum users are also pretty fast at putting out content and editing their posts, and having your (year or more old, hundreds of agrees, hundreds of awesomes) account put on a "spam hold" for two minutes gets pretty old. It would also solve editing trusted user OPs without having to bug Foxy (although I wouldn't mind going that route, it's still more of a pain than trusted users).

I'm guessing you'd only have a few dozen up to 50 such users on the Subnautica forums, I don't know how many on the NS2 forums. But it would remove a lot of frustration for (as far as I can tell) only a one-time annoyance for the admins per user added (instead of a multiple time a day annoyance per user).

Please at least consider it. And regardless, thanks for all you do! (:
    edited May 2017
    Great,now we need to come up with a kickass badass name for that group first!!! Good job there @0x6A7232 :trollface:
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited May 2017
    Great,now we need to come up with a kickass badass name for that group first!!! Good job there @0x6A7232 :trollface:

May i suggest: the SES (Subnautican Editor Superfriendz) !! it even sounds badd-ass! :smiley:
    edited May 2017
    Rainstorm wrote: »

May i suggest: the SES (Subnautican Editor Superfriendz) !! it even sounds badd-ass! :smiley:

BOI!

This isn't just an underwater forum ya know, we also have some puzzle peeps in the backroom and there's some kind of firing range where space marines shoot at some alien looking animals across the hallway. Not to mention, we don't mention the off-topic basement or discussions alley...
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members

BOI!

This isn't just an underwater forum ya know, we also have some puzzle peeps in the backroom and there's some kind of firing range where space marines shoot at some alien looking animals across the hallway. Not to mention, we don't mention the off-topic basement or discussions alley...

WHERE DO I SIGN UP!

My head is already shaved, i can run 100 laps before i start complaining and i can totally hide in the shadowz of the dark discussions alley!

BOI!

WHERE DO I SIGN UP!

My head is already shaved, i can run 100 laps before i start complaining and i can totally hide in the shadowz of the dark discussions alley!

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited May 2017

@Kouji_San, you make every day special. ;)

0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @Foxy @AceDude Can we get a user-group that is manually controlled, based on user request, at the discretion of the board admins?

Basically, if you post and edit a lot, you can request to have your account added as a "Trusted User" so to speak, and if the admins feel you have enough reputation to be trusted, you can be spared the annoyance of spam blocks. If a trusted user gets hacked, you could just suspend the account until it's recovered.

Reason I'm asking is, as far as I know, a lot of really active forum users are also pretty fast at putting out content and editing their posts, and having your (year or more old, hundreds of agrees, hundreds of awesomes) account put on a "spam hold" for two minutes gets pretty old. It would also solve editing trusted user OPs without having to bug Foxy (although I wouldn't mind going that route, it's still more of a pain than trusted users).

I'm guessing you'd only have a few dozen up to 50 such users on the Subnautica forums, I don't know how many on the NS2 forums. But it would remove a lot of frustration for (as far as I can tell) only a one-time annoyance for the admins per user added (instead of a multiple time a day annoyance per user).

Please at least consider it. And regardless, thanks for all you do! (:

This would be a wonderful thing if it can be done. And I'm saying that regardless of whether I'd make the cut to be on the group.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    And another spam block false positive.

I'd just created a new topic and then added a post to that topic. I then tried to edit a typo in the original post and when I went to save, got this.

http://www.cuug.ab.ca/jacke/Subnautica/_other/20170506b.subnautica-spam-block-false-positive.png
  • megasayangokumegasayangoku Join Date: 2017-05-07 Member: 230323Members
    so i'm new, am i to understand i have to wait 24 hours to be able to create a post to ask some questions about the game? sorry i couldn't find a "forum rules thread" oddly enough o.O
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    so i'm new, am i to understand i have to wait 24 hours to be able to create a post to ask some questions about the game? sorry i couldn't find a "forum rules thread" oddly enough o.O

I...

I actually don't know. I don't think you do, but the forums have changed a ton in the past month, so the rules a year ago aren't around anymore.

Excuse me while I make a quick call

Hello? @0x6A7232? Yeah, I got a question, could come over here as fast as your internet allows? 'Kay, great. See you soon. *click*

There, help is on the way. ;)
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    AceDude wrote: »
    I changed the settings a bit. You might now start a topic 1 day after you registered and after 1 post. You can edit for 24hrs.

That should be a good balance between spam protection and annoyance.

See nesrak1's post above. You've already made 1 post, you just have to wait 1 day after registration.

Also these strict rules are a response to an overwhelming amount of spambots bombarding these here forums, they are probably subject to change at some point...
    We should have an introduce yourself thread so newcomers don't have to make random posts in other threads :​)
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    We should have an introduce yourself thread so newcomers don't have to make random posts in other threads :​)

Maybe we need a POSTCOUNT++ thread :trollface:
    POSTCOUNT++
    you forgot the semicolon :trollface: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    but wait
    what if it's in lua or python °_°
  • NepsterCZNepsterCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2017-05-07 Member: 230330Members
    @AceDude Thanks for the explanation why I couldn't post!. May I also recommend some banner, or message somewhere saying "Creating new thread is available after XXX", I spend literally 15 minutes trying to find out the "Create new thread" button, and next 5 minutes finding this post. I really don't think that this creates good first expression for legitimate users.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2017
    Ahhhh...

Can I assume that that is why I have been advised that I am now an Advanced User?

And if it is..., Thanks.
    B)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Ahhhh...

Can I assume that that is why I have been advised that I am now an Advanced User?

And if it is..., Thanks.
    B)

Yes, and does that mean we get a pay rise? :D
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @AceDude can we solve this problem for people by 'Verifying' them if they don't have the >100 posts and 30 days requirement?
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I know that may sound naive, but can't you solve the Spambot problem by a good "I am not a Robot"-check? Or are those already obsulete nowadays? You could use one at the registration and maybe for a new thread until you reached a certain amount of posts maybe?