What's with the spambots?

OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
I've never seen these before, but when I logged in today I saw over ten discussions in Chinese (or Japanese, I'm not an expert) from two different accounts presumably advertising something (based on the replies). Why have they infected this forum just now?

Comments

• AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    I have no idea. According to Bugzapper, it is something about universities and diplomas.
  • SubnaticbroV2SubnaticbroV2 Join Date: 2017-04-24 Member: 229918Members
    Yeah, not a big fan of spambots, I have had to delete multiple forums due to them.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    It's Chinese spambots.

It's just best not to question it.

Just keep on reporting, and @Foxy will keep destroying these bots with extreme prejudice. ;)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I'd like to see optional questions about Subnautica or Natural Selection be asked when a new user registers. If you do not answer these correctly, then you would only be allowed to post to a newb board. (You could always go back to re-answer these correctly later to get full access).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2017
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see optional questions about Subnautica or Natural Selection be asked when a new user registers. If you do not answer these correctly, then you would only be allowed to post to a newb board. (You could always go back to re-answer these correctly later to get full access).

Something like, let's say...

- What hovars without flappin'?

- Why does the cornmaander need to give us shirtguns and torrents?

- Name one hint which links Natural Selection to Subnautica?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Ojakokko wrote: »
    I've never seen these before, but when I logged in today I saw over ten discussions in Chinese (or Japanese, I'm not an expert) from two different accounts presumably advertising something (based on the replies). Why have they infected this forum just now?

Spambots always try to worm into forums. They must've shifted attacks recently and the filters haven't caught up yet. Happens all the time.