Thoughts on higher difficulty levels and replay value

2»

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Oh, for crying out loud, get a room, you two.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited April 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Knowing my twisted background, were that to happen, I have my doubts that he would find the experience any more enjoyable than the previous conversation.

Though it would most likely be quite a hoot for me.

:*
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Aww... I was just cooking up some popcorn...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2017
    Did you really just call me an "arse"? You realise how hypocritical that is, yes?

If I was a weaker man I might even be offended. Fortunately, coming from you that's no different than a toddler calling me a poopoo face and throwing his minion out the pram.

Quiet you boob :trollface:
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Did you really just call me an "arse"? You realise how hypocritical that is, yes?

If I was a weaker man I might even be offended. Fortunately, coming from you that's no different than a toddler calling me a poopoo face and throwing his minion out the pram.

Quiet you boob :trollface:

4peolml96h0s.gif
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'm sorry, I just had some spare oil and saw a fire... Sooo, we can have cooked bangers for lunch with the heat of this fire...

psst, I'm not sorry...
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited April 2017
    Me too, our mortality is what makes us human :tongue:
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Me too, our mortality is what makes us human :tongue:

I am Immortal... I am a Nerd!

B)
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    deepdiver1 wrote: »
    1. Game is too easy now.
    - Right now, the game is too easy. Once the map is known, its easy to get all resources to build everything, without having to build more than 2 or three small bases.

The game has always been easy, apart from the very first time you play. That's unfortunately the curse of all survival games. It's unavoidable in this genre.
    2. How to solve this:
    - Create a need for resources, without increasing grind
    - Increase the need for bases and certain new items, as resource sinks

This is confusing. You want a need for resources, without grinding for resources? You want a need for more bases, as resources sinks? To fill resource sinks you have to grind, and to keep them full you have to continually grind. That's the very thing you said should be avoided. If you want more bases/more need for bases, you have to increase the grind for resources. It's inevitable.

You have to pick, because you can't have it both ways. Your two desires directly conflict with each other.

I do agree, however, that building serves very little purpose at the moment. The main reason you collect resources is for building, and the only reason you need to build is access to vehicles. Once you have that access, building serves no purpose. They put so much work into creating a building mechanic that (other than vehicle access) is essentially pointless.
    3. How to increase the need to build bases
    - Make base building useful/necessary in opening new areas/depths

3.1 To do this, use nitrogen/decompression system:
    - staying at certain depths increases nitrogen over time
    - rising with certain amounts of nitrogen will kill you quickly (damage)
    - the only way to decompress is through a special decompression chamber
    - this requires a powered base to which the decompression chamber is attached
    - The decompression chamber should be gated so that getting the first one would be moderately difficult, e.g. by locating the blueprint in the Abandoned seabase in the Jelly Shroom cave.
    - A late game upgrade to the Cyclops or the rebreather could eliminate the need to for the decompression chamber

- This in effect makes it necessary to build a base for each new level of depth in each region
    - Also restrict growing sea flora to its proper depth; no more growing gel sacks in the shallows

Good ideas, and something that those of us who want a more "hardcore" survival experience would fully support. But, again, every single thing you describe means a LOT more grinding. Getting all the resources for multiple bases in each biome would be more grinding and mind numbing than anything I could imagine. I agree that building needs to be more useful, but simply making it mandatory and turning it into 90% of the game would be counter productive and a huge turn off. Decompression is something we've had discussions about before, but it comes down to the fact you need to grind more resources to build facilities, it's inevitable. Having a decompression facility in the Cyclops as you suggest would be fine, but it's just prolonging the same old problem: You build so you can have access to vehicles. Once you have that ability in your Cyclops, building once again becomes redundant. That's just prolonging/avoiding the problem, not solving it.

The rest of your post is much the same, so I won't continue quoting. Your version of the game would be way more fun for people like me, and I would support it entirely. But for the average player it would be far too boring. Everything you describe inevitably means a whole lot of grinding. So I say again, you have to pick, you simply can't have it both ways.
    more dangerous creatures
    Add exhaustion
    More complex food needs

Yes please.

It seems we are too deep into development to consider alternative means of difficulty.

Adding dangers, creating more resource exhaustion, make it feel less automated... balancing difficulty should be a big priority.

I agree to the point where Survival games reach a point of becoming easy, but I think a game becoming easy VS the game becoming and feeling automated are two different things.

A game becoming easy isn't always a bad sign. However, when it feels automated is when I start to worry. And I think Subnautica is and is always going to suffer from an automation problem throughout development and launch, but there are ways to lessen this.