Terraformer causes no performance issues?

SlinkySlim666SlinkySlim666 Panama City, Florida Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228333Members
I have been testing to see how big a hit on the fps and general performance the terraformer has on the game.

Let me elaborate..

I started a new game, spawned in a terraformer and filled the rest of my inventory with high capacity air tanks, ultra glide fins, and the rebreather. The only time I left the surface was to get more dirt for the terraformer. I never went beyond 100 meters from the life pod and began building a island. At the start on all max settings no vsync. I use NVidia fast sync setting. I ran around 65-70 fps average. The games general performance is so bad its hard to even determine what is causing the fps drops when they do occur. It mostly was the usual stuttering we get from the game loading things in every minute or so, I also noticed during this test that you can look in different directions​ in the world while at the surface and get massive lag and sharp fps drops. But between load ins and what not my frames stay in the general vicinity of 70 fps.

I am still testing this but so far i have have seen zero noticable performance decrease from using the terraformer. Matter fact the higher i built this mountain island the more the frames increased. At the peak i hit 120 fps. Which is weird.

~Extra test. During night i placed 4 led light sticks and they caused a bigger fps drop than building a entire island with the terraformer.

I will post pictures when my internet connection decides to cooperate with me... (edit: I could only get it working right long enough to post these two pictures.)
hue2fssm0xt6.png
bfk0z4ums6yw.png

Comments

• jerybass12jerybass12 Quebec Join Date: 2017-02-05 Member: 227651Members
    That's unique for everybody,Terraformer was actually causing losing package data for some people and eventually ended up lagging.In a game in developpement like this, adding a deformation tool will bring alots of bugs.If you drop alot of flares too you might lag that shit is creepy ahah but yeah, it was a bit game breaker.Maybe a new tool might come if people start to ask.I personally enjoyed to creat lands too but at the cost of some fps drop that could make your save game a mess
  • SlinkySlim666SlinkySlim666 Panama City, Florida Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228333Members
    edited April 2017
    jerybass12 wrote: »
    That's unique for everybody,Terraformer was actually causing losing package data for some people and eventually ended up lagging.In a game in developpement like this, adding a deformation tool will bring alots of bugs.If you drop alot of flares too you might lag that shit is creepy ahah but yeah, it was a bit game breaker.Maybe a new tool might come if people start to ask.I personally enjoyed to creat lands too but at the cost of some fps drop that could make your save game a mess

That's interesting. flares will make me lag like crazy but oddly terraforming has no effect on my fps.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    At the peak there'd be less terrain loaded in, which is why the FPS is higher. Just like if you're blazing through the Mushroom Forest in the seamoth it'll lag as everything loads in, but if you do so at the surface it doesn't have much of an impact.

Other than possible savegame bloat and etc, the very mechanic of terraforming - whether you touch the device or not - was influencing things that the devs wanted to remove. Even if you never once use or even make the terraformer, or have a single Crashfish explode, the entire game world has to consider "What if?" something affects it and has to check this every single time a piece of terrain is loaded.

Just the fact deformation is in the code affects the game, terraformer or not. That's why they're removing it, since cutting it out was determined to be a simpler way of optimizing the game than trying to fix the many issues terraforming had at its core.
  • SlinkySlim666SlinkySlim666 Panama City, Florida Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228333Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    At the peak there'd be less terrain loaded in, which is why the FPS is higher. Just like if you're blazing through the Mushroom Forest in the seamoth it'll lag as everything loads in, but if you do so at the surface it doesn't have much of an impact.

Other than possible savegame bloat and etc, the very mechanic of terraforming - whether you touch the device or not - was influencing things that the devs wanted to remove. Even if you never once use or even make the terraformer, or have a single Crashfish explode, the entire game world has to consider "What if?" something affects it and has to check this every single time a piece of terrain is loaded.

Just the fact deformation is in the code affects the game, terraformer or not. That's why they're removing it, since cutting it out was determined to be a simpler way of optimizing the game than trying to fix the many issues terraforming had at its core.

Ahh so I need to also build a underwater island somewhere like the mushroom forest.