Fix the power glide!

CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
The powerglide is really nice to have in creative, and sometimes survival to fly through the biomes and experience more rather than teleporting. And from what I understand it used to work, but doesn't anymore. Was this intentional?

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I hear the top speed of the Seaglide is about all the engine can handle on the console platform. The Powerglide is right out and even apparently has issues on the PC.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    I hear the top speed of the Seaglide is about all the engine can handle on the console platform. The Powerglide is right out and even apparently has issues on the PC.

Aww
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Jacke wrote: »

Bloody consoles ruining everybody's fun as per usual.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Maybe once they optimize a bit they'll discover they have enough performance headroom to try the PowerGlide again. Maybe.
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    It caused terrain clipping issues on PC and the Xbox one engine simply cannot handle the powerglide. It is not coming back, no matter what improvements might come to the Xbox.
    It caused terrain clipping issues on PC and the Xbox one engine simply cannot handle the powerglide. It is not coming back, no matter what improvements might come to the Xbox.

There's a note in Trello about optimizing the terrain streaming code, and another note about getting the source code for Unity to improve performance, so I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Might be improbable, but I think it's still in the realm of possible.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    If anything, it could be that the powerglide utilizes better power management (slower power draw) while providing a slightly faster movement speed than the regular seaglide (not as much as its previous glory but still something that makes it wort building it).
  • DaMantis_LeviathanDaMantis_Leviathan Somwhere in da UK Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229848Members
    Subnautica versian 2.0 will utilise a more powerful energy
    if the game sells well, they might hire an external company to make a custom engine that was developed sepeciifically for subnautica.

So the power glide may be put back in

Subnautica versian 2.0 will utilise a more powerful energy
    if the game sells well, they might hire an external company to make a custom engine that was developed sepeciifically for subnautica.

So the power glide may be put back in

FYI, you know they already made their own game engine, right? It just wasn't suited for a game like Subnautica:

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133601/why-is-subnautica-using-unity-and-not-the-spark-engine
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    I'd be okay if the upgraded version of the seaglide would just have better battery management if it meant giving up speed.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I would think that the PG should be available on faster machines. I play with PG in Creative mode on a mediocre laptop with an SSD, and it works fine. Yes, there is a bit of pop-in at times, but its not game-breaking.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members

This is deeply troubling.

I haven't hopped on Subnautica in a bit, but the Sea Glide was a HUGE part of travel.

Deeply troubling indeed.