Lost River entrance in the Jelly Shroom Caves

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
This is an idea that came out of a discussion in the discord server. The Jelly shroom caves seem... idk, almost useless. There's not much use in going in them except for the abandoned base. I rarely see people venture forth in them, even I rarely do it because there's barely any use to doing it. Yet the crabsnake is quite a memorable creature for subnautica, I mean, it's on the screen on the left right now.

So the idea is to have yet another entrance to the Lost River in the Jelly Shroom Caves, like a long narrow crevice that just goes down until it reaches the lost river. Maybe even some jelly shrooms scattered along the way, and maybe even a mix of the two biomes when they meet.

Comments

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Total agreement. Usefulness aside, it's too visually impressive a biome to just use as a throwaway. (Even if it does turn my seamoth purple.) As it is, it's kinda like hanging a Rembrandt in the coat closet. :neutral:
  • ShadowAdversy1ShadowAdversy1 NS, Canada Join Date: 2017-02-24 Member: 228206Members
    I would LOVE to see an entrance way into the Lost River from the Jellyshroom Caves. Or even a note saying where Baat Torgal was located at.If I can, I will try and send this Idea to a developer for review.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Maybe even an artificial path down there created by the Degasi crew?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Oh, that'd be cool! The evidence of a dig, a passage small enough to only get through by yourself, no vehicles...that could be so thematically incredible! :grin:

Oh, that'd be cool! The evidence of a dig, a passage small enough to only get through by yourself, no vehicles...that could be so thematically incredible! :grin:

Unsure if possible with current O2 constraints. Maybe if we built a pipe system (have old broken pipes laying there to give the idea that that's how they did it).
  • BuilderJosephBuilderJoseph United States Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227887Members
    Mabye, but then it might be a little too easy to get in the lost river because the caves are in early game biomes.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members

Shh, don't hint about terraforming ;)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Shh, don't hint about terraforming ;)

Don't worry, they'll dig their own hole...........

not sorry... at all...
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited April 2017
    I think I've found the perfect spots distant of between 370m and 420m to link the two biomes.
    There is a place in the jelly shroom caves about 280m deep, which is about 150 meters northwest from the vents. It's a place full of crabsnakes and jelly shrooms, and it seems to be the deepest apparant point of the JSC.
    In the ceiling just above the lost river giant skeleton, there are small weird caves which I believe are called the bone field caves which look like the perfect entry point to the LR. When you look downwards from the caves, you just see the giant skeleton way down in the bottom.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I think I've found the perfect spots distant of between 370m and 420m to link the two biomes.
    There is a place in the jelly shroom caves about 280m deep, which is about 150 meters northwest from the vents. It's a place full of crabsnakes and jelly shrooms, and it seems to be the deepest apparant point of the JSC.
    In the ceiling just above the lost river giant skeleton, there are small weird caves which I believe are called the bone field caves which look like the perfect entry point to the LR. When you look downwards from the caves, you just see the giant skeleton way down in the bottom.

It's like they were planning it from the beginning.

It's just too perfect...
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited April 2017
    I would like to see another entrance too but I would like it to be wide enough to get at least Seamoth and P.R.A.W.N. through there. What is the point if you could just pay the LRZ a very limited visit before you run out of air?

Otherwise you'd have to visit it before and "park" a vehicle there or build a small outpost to get air. Yes it would still be a shortcut to the surface if you need to get from your LRZ base to your "Safe Shallows" base for example but I don't see the need for such a shortcut if you would have to have a 2nd outpost in the Yellyshroom cave just for not drowning while using the shortcut. Just too much effort for a simple shortcut. If you could pass through with your Seamoth it would change things completely though.
    I would like to see another entrance too but I would like it to be wide enough to get at least Seamoth and P.R.A.W.N. through there.

You can't get your cyclops into the jellyshroom caves anyway, so that seems like the only obvious valid option anyway.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I would like to see another entrance too but I would like it to be wide enough to get at least Seamoth and P.R.A.W.N. through there.

You can't get your cyclops into the jellyshroom caves anyway, so that seems like the only obvious valid option anyway.

I wonder if you could get out of the Yellyshroom caves with the P.R.A.W.N. easy or if it would be a struggle to get out. Never tried it before. Gotta put that on my SN-To-Do-List. :wink:

I wonder if you could get out of the Yellyshroom caves with the P.R.A.W.N. easy or if it would be a struggle to get out. Never tried it before. Gotta put that on my SN-To-Do-List. :wink:

I think with the grapple arm it shouldn't be too much trouble, or with upgraded jumpjets, but without either, it'd probably be a pain (but probably still doable).
    I have finally managed to find how to show coordinates on xbox, so now I can update the two spots that I found with their coordinates!
    The coordinates for this spot are -512.8 -281.9 -136.1
    The coordinates for this spot are -712.1 -669.1 -42.6
    I have finally managed to find how to show coordinates on xbox, so now I can update the two spots that I found with their coordinates!

Well, out with it, man, what's the combo?? xD (No, seriously, which buttons?)
    edited January 2018
    @0x6A7232 Ya need to press the PDA button (with the squares) and X at the same time.

There's also the dev menu which gives you console commands and stuff. You need to press LB and RB while in the pause menu to access that.
    Thanks. Does LB + RB + A (x2 sometimes) still open the gray debug console box?
    You know what I just discovered with some testing? It's not LB + RB + A twice. Try holding LB + RB then hitting A. Now, try holding A and pressing LB + RB -- this whole time, it's been A + LB + RB

ok if you hit all 3 at the same time it works, but if you hit LB + RB first, it won't

Aaaand, now comes the crazy - LB + A + RB works, but RB + A + LB doesn't (when pressing them in order)

Wait, A + RB + LB won't work, has to be A + LB + RB

I think RB is the one interrupting the sequence here.

Maybe sometime I'll sit down and figure it all out, but someone should be able to make short work of it with the above info.
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    edited February 2018
    Total agreement. Usefulness aside, it's too visually impressive a biome to just use as a throwaway. (Even if it does turn my seamoth purple.) As it is, it's kinda like hanging a Rembrandt in the coat closet. :neutral:

It's not THAT useless - there is a ton of gold, lithium, and some magnetite as well + one of the hottest spots in game (up to 100 degrees, there is only 1 more place with temperatures like that to my knowledge)

Getting out with PRAWN is rather easy with grappling arm, and gets funny with 2 of them B)
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    xm234 wrote: »

It's not THAT useless - there is a ton of gold, lithium, and some magnetite as well + one of the hottest spots in game (up to 100 degrees, there is only 1 more place with temperatures like that to my knowledge)

Getting out with PRAWN is rather easy with grappling arm, and gets funny with 2 of them B)
    That was an older quote before the place became a necessity for obtaining any realistic amount of magnetite. I think.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Perfect suggestion here.

I applaud you for your idea.

The Jellyshroom caves, while a good location to get shale and magnetite, is quite empty and useless for the most part. I've only gone down 5 times, one for the degasi base, and four for the materials. After that, I found the lost river had all the lithium, magnetite, and titanium i needed. So it's kinda useless now for me

A new entrance to the lost river would mean I could finally get my cyclops in there and get more resources, and it'll be so close to my Lost River base. I'll get all the materials quicker then searching nooks and crannies in the lost river without going 200000000000000000000km to the nearest Jellyshroom.
  • angeluscaligoangeluscaligo Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236483Members
    The problem remains, as previously stated by others, is that the Jellyshroom caves are a relatively early-game area. Having them connect with the Lost River, before you find the Degasi Grand Reef base, effectively renders that path of the storyline semi-obsolete (you could still explore and discover that base, ofc, but it would lower its narrative value).

Perhaps, via a work-around in the sense of an enormous amount of predators quite deathly in early game (but relatively harmless in the late game), you could add some sort of corridor of smaller caves barely navigable by the PRAWN suit - thereby making this route not advisable in the early game, but quite profitable and time-saving in the late game.

Except that with the addition of the Teleporters, this effectively renders this whole idea obsolete. I believe a more permanent and elegant solution to this can be found in the addition of a mini-biome with relatively desireable resources that you might be hard-pressed to find even in the late game (such as abundant kyanite or sulfur).
    edited February 2018
    @angeluscaligo Yeah you're right. This thread was made before the story was correctly implemented so now they've both kinda drifted apart.