About the Cyclops health update

Comments

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017
    We are adding some sort of "sprinkler" system as an upgrade, but it will likely be more like a ventilation system that temporarily turns off the air in the sub to starve the fires of oxygen.

I really like this option, since using it will (presumably) kill off all fires in the sub at once, at the expense of losing oxygen until it's finished suppressing fires. My only question is, will we eventually be able to recharge Fire Extingushers? While they are easy and cheap to craft, they run out so fast that we'll need to keep multiples on hand if the IGP video is any indication. Which in turn, means we'll also need lots of them for deep exploration, since titanium and quartz are harder to come by in the late-game areas. :confused:
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    Looking at the vid seems a bit absurd on how easily it gets hammered and how often have to panic even to the mildest act of aggression from a single creature 1/40th of the size. I can understand shit-ur-pants leviathan classed creatures, lava larva and the crab squid being serious threats. Reasonable enough for some the angriest buggers to be super pissed by the sound to start gnashing at it. hells the point of making it out of plasteel!? great that its not indestructible, but If they do that much damage (hull breach, flooding & fire), minus hull reinforcement may as well type "destroycyclops" at the first sign of danger just to save your self the embarrassment and move on.

not like i would try to park it in insanely dangerous in the middle of areas where everything wants nothing more than to tear my face off or drive through claustrophobic caverns easily one minuscule calculation away from flooding. even in X1's current invulnerable" state
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited April 2017
    Now, suddenly we have fires and a large dramatic explosion in an electric powered submarine, and no sign of any water. It doesn't make any sense.

For questions about fires and electric submarines, I think it might be most beneficial to refer to an electric phone that was relatively recently in the news.... Note 7.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-is-samsung-galaxy-note-7-exploding-overheating/

Note 7, Electric sub.... both have batteries. And both can cause fires when damaged.

Or, take a different electric device... The hover boards sold on Amazon that had such cheap batteries that they frequently caught fire when exposed to damage. Same thing...

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-hoverboard-fire-risk-sales-no-more/

• nocommonsensenocommonsense Join Date: 2016-08-16 Member: 221427Members
    I do miss the flooding and think there should be more of that when there's damage to the cyclops, not just pushing past crush depth.

Just a side note, fossil fuels require oxygen to burn, and to explode you'd have to have it disperse over a wide volume in order to get enough O2 to go stoichiometric. Gas powered cars very rarely explode, it's a Hollywood myth. Technicians are known to put out their cigarettes in drums of gasoline. Batteries on the other hand don't require oxygen to release their energy, it's self contained, like a bomb. More advanced chemistries are pushing the bounds of their energy density, as it is a laptop battery has about as much energy as a hand grenade (reason #184 why the TSA is a joke). For more unstable chemistries like Lithium ion, they can explode on impact, for example a Tesla which uses that chemistry because they chose performance over safety unlike other manufacturers will explode exactly like a Hollywood car. So an electric vehicle like the cyclops exploding is far from implausible.
  • grimper12341grimper12341 Join Date: 2017-04-10 Member: 229539Members
    edited April 2017
    DrownedOut wrote: »

....so they asked the community for their opinion, and then went with the least popular option? That's a little disappointing, but if the coder says flooding is too difficult there's not much else that can be done I guess :\

There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the existing flooding mechanic though? Unless they didn't want to do it without functional bulkheads.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Even in the current stable game, I was initially alarmed by the noise made by small fish like Peepers hitting the hull of the Cyclops. Now when it gets fragile, is it going to be like the Boy Who Called Wolf? And I am worried the Cyclops will be too fragile.

I think using oxygen starvation as a fire suppression system doesn't work that well as the burning things are still very hot and will reignite upon restoring oxygen. All functional extinguishing systems incorporate cooling of the burning material along with other mechanisms. In a ship or a sub that's going to be water or foam spray.

I don't like that UWE is going to use fire over flooding. Flooding is the prime threat to sub, as actual submariners have already commented. And having sparks and fires breaking is way way too Hollywood.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited April 2017
    Jacke wrote: »
    I don't like that UWE is going to use fire over flooding. Flooding is the prime threat to sub, ...

Speaking as somebody who spent 24 years in the navy, though admittedly not on subs (but I did do the initial submarine foundation course), I can tell you that the thing submariners fear the most is fire. Flooding can be contained using the watertight compartments that the sub is made up of, whereas fire is far more dangerous on a sub.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    I don't like that UWE is going to use fire over flooding. Flooding is the prime threat to sub, ...

Speaking as somebody who spent 24 years in the navy, though admittedly not on subs (but I did do the initial submarine foundation course), I can tell you that the thing submariners fear the most is fire. Flooding can be contained using the watertight compartments that the sub is made up of, whereas fire is far more dangerous on a sub.
    My language was sloppy and I should clarify.

Speaking as someone who was a Armoured Corps soldier for a long number of years, fire is what tankers fear most too (and why anti-flash dress hasn't become standard I have no idea...) and I even server on vehicles that could swim (but almost never did). But in both cases, that's because the most common threats produce flash and fire.

But considering the threats the Cyclops and other submersibles face in Subnautica, I would have thought flooding was a greater problem. I could see the Cyclops having fires as a possibility if it flooded and its electrical systems were damaged too, but again I don't see a Cyclops burning without it almost certainly being near completely flooded soon after.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Myrm wrote: »

My language was sloppy and I should clarify.

Speaking as someone who was a Armoured Corps soldier for a long number of years, fire is what tankers fear most too (and why anti-flash dress hasn't become standard I have no idea...) and I even server on vehicles that could swim (but almost never did). But in both cases, that's because the most common threats produce flash and fire.

But considering the threats the Cyclops and other submersibles face in Subnautica, I would have thought flooding was a greater problem. I could see the Cyclops having fires as a possibility if it flooded and its electrical systems were damaged too, but again I don't see a Cyclops burning without it almost certainly being near completely flooded soon after.

I guess that is why They added the BOOM part at the end.
    (when it actually becomes flooded, Permanently)
    B)
  • Aviator1945Aviator1945 Appleton, WI Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225904Members
    It will really suck to lose your Seamoth/Prawn Suit in the event of sinking and exploding. Will there be a way to salvage your upgrade modules from them? Not that i plan to lose my cyclops anytime soon. Also at crush depth or below, shouldn't it start getting crushed and eventually implode? I suppose that would be asking much, making another animation and all.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    It will really suck to lose your Seamoth/Prawn Suit in the event of sinking and exploding. Will there be a way to salvage your upgrade modules from them? Not that i plan to lose my cyclops anytime soon. Also at crush depth or below, shouldn't it start getting crushed and eventually implode? I suppose that would be asking much, making another animation and all.

Yes, salvaging is possible (10:45).
  • DirtyBirdDirtyBird Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227756Members
    edited April 2017
    Well as fragile as the Sub has now become I won't even bother to make one. ( Just not worth the resources until they do some balancing. ) I could see it if the leviathan's attacked for some reason. But then it should Also take some effort to do any Damage to the Sub to make it so weak as it has become now. I do like the new tools they have given the Sub that was sorely needed.

Also some automated repair systems using the Bots like made the sub's would have been nice to have. These could have been made to be overcome as damage might take hours or days to repair. were you would have had to Dock the sub to do extensive repairs if needed. You would have had to limp back to a base to do the repairs.

The thing that they were going to do for a long time was make it Dockable to a Base. This didn't happen. And it could have been easy to do as it already has a Hatch system. Would also have like to have seen water drain from the lock area when you Board or fill up when you leave. ( Just for realisms sake.) Since they now have the boarding with ladders animation. The Hatches should also have a auto closed mechanism in the case of flooding.

This is the far future to. I doubt they would even use Props, Props cause cavitation. Cavitation is very very inefficient. as far as speed and noise is concerned on Sub's. Though it's the shape of the prop and the vehicle as well. ( The prop on the Sub is a Turbine fan type and would be so inefficient for propulsion to begin with.) I could have seen more of a Repulser system for propulsion. One this negates a lot of noise to begin with. Just requires intakes and the outtake. The sub also needs a diving plane system. Or would need a Repulser jet system. Of which it seems to have already if you watch it when turning the Sub. We in this day and age are also already developing those system's.

Fires are a problem in Sub's, your using different atmospheres to Oxygen enriched to begin with. The Sub should need to take a lot more damage also before being a liability. The Shields should also have a electrical repulsion system to ward off creatures. Much like the Sea moths. If something hit's the shield it gets a warding off shock to.

As it stands now the King of the Sea's isn't even a lowly serf. It's just become paper-mache. This needs a lot of balancing and a little rethinking.

So much could have been done with this. Just as the Diver himself using O2 tanks. We are already testing systems now to get oxygen direct from surrounding Water to breath underwater. In the future this would have already been addressed and refined for safety reasons.

Maybe when starting the game you had to use the old antiquated equipment to survive but getting the BP's off the ship you could have built the new system to breath underwater for longer periods of time. Also this would have had different aspects as you hit thermoclines or oxygen starved areas underwater. The Lost River area is a perfect example of this. Thermoclines isn't really even addressed in the game. you would need insulated dive suits to address this problem.

For a game that's set so far into the future they seem to have fallen back to the antiquated systems for that day and age to our days of diving. The Sub should have used the small Nuclear plant as well for power. Though I imagine they would have done away with Nuclear and have developed safe clean power like Fusion instead of Fission.

I have enjoyed the game immensely, It's just so many piece's don't fit sometimes. If you Develop a game set in the future why not develop the Tech to go with it. You have so very little of it.

And you don't have to develop weapons in the game just useable defenses some turrets that can ward off or warn creature's to stay away would have been nice for bases and a solution on Subs for smaller creatures.

I build my main base in the not so safe shallows though I get attacked by the crabsnakes all the time. and I'm a long way up from their depth. They are attacking the Cyclops Docked outside my base. I expect the next time they attack it. it will jst be so much Junk setting on the Ocean floor next to my base now. Think i'll go strip it of my gear.
    edited April 2017
    DirtyBird wrote: »
    Well as fragile as the Sub has now become I won't even bother to make one. ( Just not worth the resources until they do some balancing. ) I could see it if the leviathan's attacked for some reason. But then it should Also take some effort to do any Damage to the Sub to make it so weak as it has become now. I do like the new tools they have given the Sub that was sorely needed.

Also some automated repair systems using the Bots like made the sub's would have been nice to have. These could have been made to be overcome as damage might take hours or days to repair. were you would have had to Dock the sub to do extensive repairs if needed. You would have had to limp back to a base to do the repairs.

The thing that they were going to do for a long time was make it Dockable to a Base. This didn't happen. And it could have been easy to do as it already has a Hatch system. Would also have like to have seen water drain from the lock area when you Board or fill up when you leave. ( Just for realisms sake.) Since they now have the boarding with ladders animation. The Hatches should also have a auto closed mechanism in the case of flooding.

This is the far future to. I doubt they would even use Props, Props cause cavitation. Cavitation is very very inefficient. as far as speed and noise is concerned on Sub's. Though it's the shape of the prop and the vehicle as well. ( The prop on the Sub is a Turbine fan type and would be so inefficient for propulsion to begin with.) I could have seen more of a Repulser system for propulsion. One this negates a lot of noise to begin with. Just requires intakes and the outtake. The sub also needs a diving plane system. Or would need a Repulser jet system. Of which it seems to have already if you watch it when turning the Sub. We in this day and age are also already developing those system's.

Fires are a problem in Sub's, your using different atmospheres to Oxygen enriched to begin with. The Sub should need to take a lot more damage also before being a liability. The Shields should also have a electrical repulsion system to ward off creatures. Much like the Sea moths. If something hit's the shield it gets a warding off shock to.

As it stands now the King of the Sea's isn't even a lowly serf. It's just become paper-mache. This needs a lot of balancing and a little rethinking.

So much could have been done with this. Just as the Diver himself using O2 tanks. We are already testing systems now to get oxygen direct from surrounding Water to breath underwater. In the future this would have already been addressed and refined for safety reasons.

Maybe when starting the game you had to use the old antiquated equipment to survive but getting the BP's off the ship you could have built the new system to breath underwater for longer periods of time. Also this would have had different aspects as you hit thermoclines or oxygen starved areas underwater. The Lost River area is a perfect example of this. Thermoclines isn't really even addressed in the game. you would need insulated dive suits to address this problem.

For a game that's set so far into the future they seem to have fallen back to the antiquated systems for that day and age to our days of diving. The Sub should have used the small Nuclear plant as well for power. Though I imagine they would have done away with Nuclear and have developed safe clean power like Fusion instead of Fission.

I have enjoyed the game immensely, It's just so many piece's don't fit sometimes. If you Develop a game set in the future why not develop the Tech to go with it. You have so very little of it.

And you don't have to develop weapons in the game just useable defenses some turrets that can ward off or warn creature's to stay away would have been nice for bases and a solution on Subs for smaller creatures.

I build my main base in the not so safe shallows though I get attacked by the crabsnakes all the time. and I'm a long way up from their depth. They are attacking the Cyclops Docked outside my base. I expect the next time they attack it. it will jst be so much Junk setting on the Ocean floor next to my base now. Think i'll go strip it of my gear.

I believe that it's a bit too premature to totally write off the new Cyclops refinements at this time.

It hasn't even hit the STABLE version yet. (though some of the new upgrades may become available later this week month)

The Dev's have said several times now that it is a work-in-progress, and have already adjusted it somewhat based just on feedback from the few EXPERIAMENTAL players.

Once it hits STABLE where a larger number of players will get a chance to fiddle with it and give their feedback, it is probably safe to say that the Dev's will once again, adjust it accordingly.

As a side note, there is a plan on the TRELLO board that incorporates a Base Docking Hatch for the sub, it's just not going to happen till sometime after v1.0 hits.
    B)
    edited April 2017
    oopsie... double post.
    :*
  • El_HadschiEl_Hadschi Join Date: 2016-11-28 Member: 224316Members
    Make Cyclops great again!

I think Only "Big" Creatures should be able to damage the cyclops and even attacking it.
    Why would sth "small" like a bone shark attack sth big like the cyclops?
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    It would be awesome if the paint of your vehicles got chipped over time :)
    Just a small idea
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    El_Hadschi wrote: »

I think Only "Big" Creatures should be able to damage the cyclops and even attacking it.

Size makes little difference. The Boneshark has evolved with a thick armor that makes it defensive against creatures like the Reaper or other Bonesharks. I wouldn't doubt that being hit by a few of those could leave some dents.
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    El_Hadschi wrote: »

Size makes little difference. The Boneshark has evolved with a thick armor that makes it defensive against creatures like the Reaper or other Bonesharks. I wouldn't doubt that being hit by a few of those could leave some dents.

Regardless of whether they are programmed to attack it or not isn't the issue. It's whether they should be regarded as a threat.

Example to this

Seamoth:

When you create it, it is already a sturdy machine, and takes limited damages from any of the mid sized creatures that you find early game

for example, stalkers, sand sharks and biters are quite a big threat when you start the game. When you finally scan and get the materials for the seamoth. It's almost like an achievement and stalkers, sand sharks and biters become a limited threat. Stalkers and biters in fact can't halm the seamoth at all. And Sandsharks are easily avoidable and even if they attack the seamoth you can easily repair it when you are in a safe place.

Then later on in the game when you have a moonpool seamoths become even more useful as you can upgrade them. By the time they are fully upgraded the only real threats are from large creatures. Particularly, crab snakes, crab squids and ampeels, and obviously reaper leviathans. Bone sharks and river prowlers are almost a non existent threat, especially if you have the elecric defence system and the hull reinforcement.

Regarding the Prawn; Again everything I've said in relation to the seamoth. By the time you decide to make and use it. It is already clear that as long as you are prepared food, water and energy wise you could probably complete the game. I don't even see crabsquids as much of a threat while in it. I just kill them with the drill and grapple if they are being too annoying.

The cyclops as it now stands is the opposite to this.

It doesn't matter whether it is upgraded or not at the moment. Any creature is a potential threat to it.

How does that make sense when it is made out of sturdier materials, when you get the pressure compensator, that is even more sturdy materials. Whereas the seamoth, it is only made out of titanium.

So I think the key things that need to be changed

1 Fires don't break out until the cyclops is below 3/4 of it's health or something equivelent

2 The only things that can do damage are, Crabsquids, Ampeels, Reapers, Sea Dragons, crabsnakes (even if you aren't going to cross them)

3 There is no justifiable reason that bonesharks and river prowlers can do any damage to to cyclops and if they still do. Then the damage done should be no more than 10 hit point every like 4 attacks or something

4 Remember the cyclops and prawn are supposed to be in game to allow you to tackle the harder areas. What is the point of the cyclops if it struggles to deal with things like bonesharks, when the seamoth almost laughs in their faces as they literally are no threat whatsoever.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    kingdoo10 wrote: »
    Regardless of whether they are programmed to attack it or not isn't the issue. It's whether they should be regarded as a threat.

Example to this

Seamoth:

When you create it, it is already a sturdy machine, and takes limited damages from any of the mid sized creatures that you find early game

[...]

4 Remember the cyclops and prawn are supposed to be in game to allow you to tackle the harder areas. What is the point of the cyclops if it struggles to deal with things like bonesharks, when the seamoth almost laughs in their faces as they literally are no threat whatsoever.

This is all assuming the Seamoth and PRAWN aren't considered for being nerfed. Which I think "should" happen (I never experience losing my vehicles other than getting them stuck) and have been expecting for a while (the reinforcement module benefits little and I recall reading it's supposed to become upgradeable).
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I don't like the idea of having to babysit the Cyclops. It's a mobile deployer for minisubs, and coming back to a wreck would not be fun.

Things still need deterrents. Sure, I don't need to reduce everything to a corpse in order to keep the Cyclops safe, but I need SOME way of keeping the Cyclops safe, and creating a zone to deploy PRAWN or Seamoth.

Not something OP that would drive off Reapers easily, but external, automated propulsion turrets that aggressively encourage critters to relocate would be nice. They could even kill the momentum of large creatures somewhat, but obviously not completely prevent massive carnivores from banging the sub around.

Mainly, if the Cyclops is hard to make, it should be REALLY hard to destroy, lots of banging into terrain and getting chewed on by Reapers or Emperors. But not getting pecked to death by Bonesharks. Cyclops defensive capability should be clearly superior to a single diver wielding a stasis gun and a knife, or the claw arm on a PRAWN suit. (Of course, torpedoes have been inferior to both in my experience...)

Off the top of my head:
    • Electrical Burst (ala Seamoth module, you'll need something else for Crabsquid)
    • Propulsion gun turrets.
    • Repulsion gun turrets (upgrade for the former)
    • Electrified hull
    • Disruption shield upgrade (a super-strong energy field is not a good thing to try and chew)
    • Autorepair (swimming around looking for breaches becomes busywork, really fast)
    • Companion drone with heavy plating and no hull to breach, which rams anything that comes too near the Cyclops. Like an automated scanner drone with an attitude.
    • Very VERY bright floodlights to dazzle anything that comes near.
    • Stasis shield that completely immobilizes the Cyclops, but prevents damage. Lethal to humans (but not plants or little fish), so it only activates when you are not in the sub.

Animals don't tend to bum-rush large moving things that are near them, because those tend to be larger animals with bigger teeth. I don't see how this would be different on any other planet. So having relatively small shark-types attacking a large noisy moving thing doesn't really make sense to me. Unless they're just curious, or try and sneak attack it.

I could see an aggressive critter biting, or attacking the rear, but realizing that the thing isn't made of meat, and losing interest. The Cyclops being able to take damage makes sense, but having it take damage frequently and require external repairs, just to show off that it can? I don't think that's a good idea. Lots of things can happen in lots of games, but it's really more of a penalty than gripping gameplay.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Having the horn scare off anything smaller than a Crabsquid+ would be nice (and have it attract Crabsquid+ sized creatures, use the horn scatters small creatures at the price of attracting bigger fish, which could then be dealt with with upgrades (assuming you built them... you did do that, right? ;) ).
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    kingdoo10 wrote: »

Example to this

Seamoth:

[...]

This is all assuming the Seamoth and PRAWN aren't considered for being nerfed. Which I think "should" happen (I never experience losing my vehicles other than getting them stuck) and have been expecting for a while (the reinforcement module benefits little and I recall reading it's supposed to become upgradeable).

True. I wouldn't mind that. But regards to the cyclops the point still stands. Bonesharks should not be strong enough to hurt plasteel.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    The only thing I would really want is to make sure the Cyclopes can't just be taken wherever it pleases without consequences. Since it's practically a mobile base, it needs limitations so that the experience of survival is still there (which I think many on this forum seem to take the survival element for granted).

Leviathans no doubt need to be made a significant threat to the Cyclops. Crabsquids are a reasonable foe. Bonesharks I can understand but there needs to be deterrents for smaller creatures.

Either have them attack rarely or not at all. Bonesharks should attack rarely because the Cyclops is huge, but if it has lights on I would say they attack it.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    The only thing I would really want is to make sure the Cyclopes can't just be taken wherever it pleases without consequences. Since it's practically a mobile base, it needs limitations so that the experience of survival is still there (which I think many on this forum seem to take the survival element for granted).

Leviathans no doubt need to be made a significant threat to the Cyclops. Crabsquids are a reasonable foe. Bonesharks I can understand but there needs to be deterrents for smaller creatures.

Either have them attack rarely or not at all. Bonesharks should attack rarely because the Cyclops is huge, but if it has lights on I would say they attack it.

I agree and would find it interesting to consider certain areas as safe or dangerous for the Cyclops based upon nearby flora, fauna, and terrain.
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    garath wrote: »
    Now, suddenly we have fires and a large dramatic explosion in an electric powered submarine, and no sign of any water. It doesn't make any sense.

For questions about fires and electric submarines, I think it might be most beneficial to refer to an electric phone that was relatively recently in the news.... Note 7.

Note 7, Electric sub.... both have batteries. And both can cause fires when damaged.

Or, take a different electric device... The hover boards sold on Amazon that had such cheap batteries that they frequently caught fire when exposed to damage. Same thing...

That would make sense, if the batteries were what was taking damage and the fires only occurred around the batteries. That's clearly not what's happening here. Also, well built batteries shouldn't normally catch fire under any conditions. The cases you're quoting are the exception and usually due to poor manufacturing choices.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    cdaragorn wrote: »
    garath wrote: »

That would make sense, if the batteries were what was taking damage and the fires only occurred around the batteries. That's clearly not what's happening here. Also, well built batteries shouldn't normally catch fire under any conditions. The cases you're quoting are the exception and usually due to poor manufacturing choices.
    Not to mention, IT'S THE FUTURE!
    I would think that these thermal-runaway issues that today's manufacturers are having with their products would no longer be a problem IN THE FUTURE.
    Also, once we are able to craft ion batteries with our newfound alien-hybrid tech, we DEFINITELY shouldn't be having these problems.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I have not played that many survival like games but I did play ARK - Survival Evolved and that for a long time.

You can see that the Cyclops has to be considered rather late game tech. Or not? At least it is the biggest player controlled vehicle in the game and with the "Cyclops Health Update" or however it will be called it get's even more upgrades which makes it better.

If I compare that to a big and slow ridable predator in ARK you will have almost no Problems getting around the island. Let us take for the sake of a slightly simplification only a T-Rex as my example. If you tame yourself a T-Rex that is close to max. wild dino level (the level of the dino before the taming) and level it up a bit (each level you earn makes your tamed dino even stronger) you will soon have a late game mount which has to fear almost nothing on the island. Yes hardcore ARK players would come up with some things now that still pose a threat but remember I wanted to simplify my example a little bit. So normaly anything smaller then the T-Rex would be passive and only try to defend themselfs if attacked by the Rex. Only a predator of equal size or bigger would try its luck and attack you if you come into its range.

My point is that a Cyclops is no early tech, it is late game tech which will accompany you till the end of the game. You will always feel less of the survival aspect later in any survival game I know of. Sure there will always be some dangers but nothing you can't handle one way or the other the further down the games tech tree you have come. So no I would not say I take my survival for granted...I earned it by playing the game and surviving it, to the point where I could build a Cyclops to have that much security while travelling around in it. Sure I should not go into a Reaper Moshpit or say "Hi!" to a Sea emperor or Sea Dragon and there are severals other creatures that have to be avoided whilst in it. Like Ampeel, Crab Squid and River Prowler for example. But anything as small as the sharks should not feel the need to attack you or be able to do much damage imo.

@garath explained pretty good how uneven the 3 vehicles feel when it comes to their survival aspect. I at least think that you should feel safest in your Cyclops and not your Seamoth or P.R.A.W.N.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    A car has absolutely nothing to fear from a squirrel. A car has several concerns with dog-sized obstructions in the road, though, and deer through windshields can kill drivers. Obviously the critters are on the losing end, but this is generally not the type of concern faced by the SN survivor.

The cyclops, though, is really almost more of a semi. If a semi hits a deer, it's probably not going to notice. And if a semi stops at a light, and a deer attacks it for 15 minutes (really long light), the semi driver is STILL probably not going to notice.

The reaper is more of an enraged elephant, though. A semi would notice one of them. And electrical-attacks should have some impact as well. But the Cyclops really SHOULD be able to handle anything below massive-scale and exotic attacks. It's the submarine packed along with a hitech-space-age construction ship, it should be TOUGH and able to handle most alien environments. If not actual weapon systems.

But there's no reason that precursor bases shouldn't HAVE weapon systems, eh?

Mostly, just because the damage animations are cool, does not mean that every player NEEDS to see them, outside of a close encounter with one of the REALLY big guys. The Cyclops potentially has so much mobile-base stuff in it, that if I do manage to lose one, I'll probably just revert to an earlier save before it is even an issue.

Cool submarine death animations are only really necessary in multiplayer... :p